Old wives tale or not ?

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I have always been told, when tuning, always tune on the Neck pick up...............anyone know the reason for this, or if it is something from older guitars that doesn't matter anymore ?

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Maybe it's to do with a cleaner tone - fewer high overtones through the neck pickup?

I've taken to using a really clean patch, with as little overdrive as possible, when I'm using the digital tuner in both Studio 1 and JamVox - it seems to work better as well.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Wouldn't that imply you'd be out of tune when you switched to the bridge? o_O

How about a simple experiment of tuning on the neck pickup, then switching to the bridge and seeing if the tuner registered a difference.

I've never heard this before, nor, as you are surely aware, am I a "gear person", but seems to me there'd be more variation in tuning method, type of tuner or "knob settings" on both guitar and amp. :unsure:

And as we all know, the guitar isn't in tune with itself in all areas of the fretboard anyway.

Maybe it has more to do with older guitarists than it does with older guitars. :unsure:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I always found this weird, due to with new electronic tuners being so good, and even cheap guitars have decent quality parts these days................but I remember being taught this so long ago, but couldnt remember why, I might have to force myself to test it today using the bridge in comparison

Elwood

Blues
I might have to force myself to test it today using the bridge in comparison
or use a contact type tuner for comparison maybe? With the guitar unplugged.

It seems to me that tuning is tuning, and that is not affected by any electronics per se. Instrument geometry, sure. I might be totally missing something here?

I have noticed, especially with a bass, that selecting the bridge pickup and picking way back by the bridge, seems to help the tuner to resolve faster and better.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Theoretically, harmonics will be at integer multiples of the fundamental frequency. Octaves are multiples of 2. Maybe not in real life.

Simple experiment:

Tune the open string to your tuner.
Play the first harmonic at the 12th fret. Don't fret the string, just lightly touch the string at the 12th fret to cause the first octave harmonic to ring. What does the tuner indicate?
Do the same thing at the 5th fret to cause the next octave harmonic. What does the tuner indicate?

You can try this with a unwound string and a wound string. I really don't know what to expect as the result.