Oh Catalina, Catalina, why you treat me so bad...

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I was warned, a little too late, that she was bad news, and sure enough. So far:

11 Rack editor and who knows what else: After installing Catalina, 11 Rack could not initialize MIDI driver and therefore could not start up. Ran the latest driver install, removed, and then re-installed which required a restart after each. At least the Editor works, but I have not tested any audio streams from the 11 Rack to the computer. Probably there will be a new version of the drivers, the last one was in 2018.

Guitar Pro: Playback is broken, tried to re-install and went back to 7.04, playback is still broken, and I can't update to the latest version because I get an error message during the installation of the new version. Talking to their support people, solution TBD. I wonder if the playback problem is another MIDI issue? If the MIDI interface is broken or changed in 10.15 Catalina, it will be bad for any DAW I would think.

Also this is the first version of the MAC OS to drop support for any 32 bit apps, only supports 64 now, could be a problem for older apps.

There may be more, but another warning, don't do it, not yet, it's going to take some time for this to shake out

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
Oh no!!!

I hope you backed up before you updated! You can roll back, and that’ll be the only way to get things working again. It’s looking like 1Q 2020 for significant driver updates.

yup Avid, Waves, Slate, Presonous, nearly every audio and video software developer and most of hardware manufacturers are advising against updating to Catalina.

https://blog.macsales.com/54622-how-to-downgrade-from-macos-catalina-to-mojave-or-earlier/

R
ight or wrong Apple is forcing 64 bit only code. Nothing 32 will run natively on Catalina. A good bit of code out there still uses bits an pieces of 32 bit code. That’s why all the recommendations not to update yet.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Catalina smooth on my machine but i dont really use any of the advanced music software. I had to update audacity but thats rolling fine for me now.

Apple has been warning about 32 bit apps a while so this should not be huge surprise to most i hope. Time machine backups are recommended.

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I have not had any luck with Audacity, just doesn’t startup at all, Sebelius works, the free version, still cannot get guitar pro playback running. All in all, not too bad, just going to wait it out. Glad you are ok with it

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Got Guitar Pro running again, they sent me a new version 7.5 and it is working great with Catalina, Audacity still not so much...