Electric Guitars NUBD

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
So. Today I took advantage of having the day off and went over to my local music store to make a pest of myself via trying out various guitars, basses, and amps with no clear agenda to buy anything.

While I was noodling around on a Taylor mini bass plugged into a Rumble 100 amp a white-bearded fellow came over and sat near me to listen. At a pause he introduced himself and we started to chat. He's primarily a Jewish praise & worship bass player and he heard me playing and wanted to say hi.

As things progressed, and we got the staff to replace the batteries in the Taylor, we went over the stuff I like in a bass (short scale, interested in passive pickups because batteries, prefer flat wound strings, and so on) and he pointed out an Epiphone bass sitting over on the used rack. I was game, plugged it in...and loved it. Clean, crisp tone, it had flatwounds on it, and the tone over the Rumble 100 was great. I noodled around doing walkups (scales, really) in various keys and I decided I wanted it.

The specifics are it's an Epiphone Allen Woody signature bass in classic red. Here's a pic I gleaned from the innerTubez:

POP_Allen-Woody-WR.jpg

It didn't take long for me to decide to drag out the plastic and make it mine. I made sure the store owner knew who talked me into the purchase and he just grinned. They go way back.

So, Happy New Year to me! :Beer:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Very nice!! I've got a Bass vi, and have recently come to realize that its strength is not in playing it like a bass, but in playing it like a guitar. So I've been thinking about a short scale bass. After you've had it a week or two, let us know how you're liking it.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Thanks, guys! It is kinda cute, yes: 30" scale and that red isn't my usual style but on this guitar it works. Some folks commenting on reviews were negative about the gold hardware but I don't have any problem with that.

The moment I picked it up my fingers were...well, not dancing, not yet, but they were going right where I wanted them to and it felt almost effortless. I guess this is what people mean when they say a neck feels good? It was like that for me. I was fretting clean, solid notes one after the other and no unwanted string noise thanks to the flatwounds. :Beer:

EDIT: Oh, and my new friend took it for a few minutes and treated me to a rendition of how good it sounded in the right hands. I have something to aspire to.

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Nice! The bass player in my band plays (mostly) an Epiphone Jack Casady signature model. It sounds great, and he loves it. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of your model!!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My plan for this weekend is to do a setup on this guitar, including new strings and a new bridge.

The strings on it are pretty dirty, which to me is a sign of being overdue for replacement. Gonna try a set of D’Addario XL flats, might be what’s already on it.

Numerous reviews pan the stock bridge and Hipshot makes a reasonably priced drop in replacement that’s supposed to improve the stability and intonation. Just need a screwdriver. Of course that means the action and intonation will need to be reset but that’s easy to do.

Haven’t had as much play time on it as I’d like, between the new job and trying to learn a new song for tomorrow’s open mic, but soon we’ll reconnect. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Restrung the bass and, while I was at it, replaced the stock bridge with a better one by Hipshot. Doesn't come in gold but I don't care about that.

Got the action where it feels good without rattle, and the intonation is spot on.

96CE7612-74A0-4593-A366-AFA46045F976.jpeg 6E25BEB1-E458-4FAE-8AD2-90AFF59D310E.jpeg

Shodai

Blues Junior
For what it's worth, I like the new bridge. Too bad you couldn't get it in gold to match, but as for the design itself I think it's a nicer looking bridge than the stock one.

Nice job!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My friendly local music shop ordered me an Epiphone hard case to fit the bass—and fit like the proverbial glove it does! Now if I do fly to the Kala BGU jam it'll be properly protected.

bass_in_case_28jan2020.jpeg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Assuming, of course, that you don't fly United...
Friends don't let friends fly United with guitars.
ChuckSLP.jpg