Nothing's Ever as it Seems (An Original)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
One more delicious song(y)
Love the message. "talking with your thumb" :thumbup:
Nice guitar work.
Great drums & bass.
Yikes...horns too:D
And some great vocals:):):)
Give us the scoop on the backing vocals please.

Well recorded, nice mix.............well damn, I guess it's perfect:eek:

I'm thinking this one took a little time to develop.
Loved it!

I'm beginning to think you've had a checkered past.
Lots of mischievous behavior in you lyrics and you're going to jail quite often.

Last edited:

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Wow, love that one, like CM, curious about how you did the backing vocals. I have tried on some of my songs but usually abandon the idea but yours sound very rich. Just a couple of hours ago I asked my son to put away his mobile while we ate dinner, didn't go down well but there has to be some down time surely. I reckon this generation will spark a massive rise in thumb joint arthritis by the time they are in their 30's :confused:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 15.33.03.png
you play tenor?
Thanks Elwood. No I don't play tenor I'm afraid. (Wish I did though, I love it) I use the inbuilt instruments in LogicProX. (see above screenshot) I 'type' in a rough tune using my qwerty keyboard, (I do have a Novation Launchkey but haven't got round to using it, even though it would make things much simpler):rolleyes: I then adjust them within the editor, changing pitch, adding articulations, volumes, length of notes etc....

Glad you like it.(y)

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Well recorded, nice mix.............well damn, I guess it's perfect:eek:
Coming from an artist with international sales to his credit, that is indeed a compliment.:) Thanks Moto.

I don't know if you can remember or not, but you once sent me a PM outlining how you got things to sit in the mix. This sir, is the result.(y)(y) And yes, I did put a bit more effort into this one. Even I was starting to get bored with my sound.:D I'm going to try and write something a bit more uptempo, and a bit more 'rocky'. Watch this space.:)

Regarding the backing vocals (Moto & Mike), I recorded two harmony tracks then duplicated them and panned them as per attached screenshot. Hope it helps you in any future recordings.

Thanks again.

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 15.33.43.png

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Coming from an artist with international sales to his credit, that is indeed a compliment.:) Thanks Moto.

I don't know if you can remember or not, but you once sent me a PM outlining how you got things to sit in the mix. This sir, is the result.(y)(y) And yes, I did put a bit more effort into this one. Even I was starting to get bored with my sound.:D I'm going to try and write something a bit more uptempo, and a bit more 'rocky'. Watch this space.:)

Regarding the backing vocals (Moto & Mike), I recorded two harmony tracks then duplicated them and panned them as per attached screenshot. Hope it helps you in any future recordings.

Thanks again.

View attachment 9210

First of all.............any instruction I may have given you was never intended to help you exceed my own skill level.
I'm either a fantastic teacher or you are an extraordinary student.
I believe it's the latter.(y)

So what are you doing to get the harmony on the backing tracks?
Sounds like female vocals.
Are just that good with your vocal range or are you getting assistance ?

About "your sound".....It's good, It's consistent, it's recognizable.
The entire Rickety Blues Band is sounding great, don't do anything to break up the band.
We will be watching this space, Rocky.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I'm either a fantastic teacher or you are an extraordinary student.
You're a fantastic teacher. Apart from what you sent me that time, I have been paying attention to all your input whilst helping others on the forum as well.:)

So what are you doing to get the harmony on the backing tracks?
Sounds like female vocals.
Are just that good with your vocal range or are you getting assistance ?
It's just me doing all the vocals. I guess my voice must be getting better, as I couldn't have reached those notes 6 months ago.
I use a condenser microphone and set the levels quite high so I don't have to shout too much. The song is in Ab which seems to suit my voice on this type of song.

The entire Rickety Blues Band is sounding great, don't do anything to break up the band.
We will be watching this space, Rocky.
You can watch the space Moto, but for goodness sake don't hold your breath.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Well, now that I know you excel in recording and mixing I find out your vocal range is off the charts.
I might have to hire the R.B.Band for future sessions.

What condenser you using?.
I sold the one I tried for vocals and use mostly dynamic mics, I recently picked up a ribbon that's very nice, just need to learn how to use it.

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I might have to hire the R.B.Band for future sessions.
We're not cheap Moto, so start saving.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (a collaboration would be an interesting challenge):whistle:

The mic I use is an sE220a by SE Electronics. The only problem is that it is super sensitive, and picks up absolutely any background noise, so I can't record when the grandchildren are over.:rolleyes: (unless I want some child noises for special effects);)

I've never used a ribbon mic before, so it'll be interesting to hear what you think of it.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
We're not cheap Moto, so start saving.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (a collaboration would be an interesting challenge):whistle:

The mic I use is an sE220a by SE Electronics. The only problem is that it is super sensitive, and picks up absolutely any background noise, so I can't record when the grandchildren are over.:rolleyes: (unless I want some child noises for special effects);)

I've never used a ribbon mic before, so it'll be interesting to hear what you think of it.
Too much background noise,..that's why I stopped using a condenser on vocals, particularly Omni directional ones.
I'm using cardioid or super cardiod mics to minimize that.
The ribbon I bought is a super cardiod.
I'll give you that report separately.