Electric Guitars NGD G&L S-500

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Not new today, but my most recent purchase. With the exception of the Firefly, my guitars have all been purchased used, which I think is a great way to get a guitar. However, after sticking with BGU for 10 years and learning to play a little, I decided to buy myself a new guitar. I chose the G&L S-500 Tribute for the MFD pickups. I am generally a humbucker guy but heard an S-500 in a video and loved the range of these pickups. In the neck position it is full and deep, close enough to humbucker range to keep me happy. In the 4 spot it has a strat sound but is still really full. The middle knob is a push pull and allows you to get just the neck and bridge pickup which does an amazing Tele impression. I used to switch between my Les Paul and my Tele during gigs but this baby does it all. The knobs are volume and passive treble and bass knobs that allow you to roll off some treble or bass with any of the pickup combinations. For playing in a band, it is great for rolling off some bass to cut through the mix.

I chose the Irish Ale version cuz I like the looks. Only downside is that the body is mahogany and the whole thing clocks in at nearly 9.5 lbs. Still, super comfortable to play and I absolutely love the medium C profile neck. (I got this in January and the website says the bodies are now made of Nato).

Here is a video of some guy demonstrating the American made model. The pickups in my Tribute are the same made in america pickups as the US made model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Th263Fb_w&t=47s

guit 1b.jpg guit 2b.jpg guit3b.jpg

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Very nice!

I remember touring the G&L facility a few years ago - awesome manufacturer and I’m REALLY DIGGING the color and finish on that bad boy. :)

Kevin