NGD - B&G Little Sister Crossroads

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
I’ve been Jonesing for one of these little beauties for over a year. Passed up a few late last year on eBay, didn’t really have the available funds. As the year wore on they became increasingly scarce, and in late summer I saw a number of dealers advertising them for over list ($1,450), such was the supply and demand. They came up rarely on Reverb and eBay and were sold very quickly; there was a used one on Reverb last month, asking price $1,500; I put in an offer of $1,300 (which admittedly I felt ridiculous for a guitar made in China that should sell new for $1,450, but such is the result of a serious GAS attack)... and didn’t even get the courtesy of a reply. Last week another one showed up on eBay and I watched the auction. As the final minutes were ticking by the high bid was $910. I had pretty much given upon the whole purchase, saying I’ll be damned if I pay $1,200 or more for a used guitar that retails for $1,450 (see, I can come to my senses once in a while, GAS be damned)... but on a whim, I said if I can get this guitar for around $900, I’ll do it... and so in the final 20 seconds I put in a bid of $950, figuring it would go for north of $1,100... and to my dismay I got for $920! Of course then I had to explain to the bride that I just bought another guitar “accidentally on purpose”... but sweet lady that she is, she understood when she heard the whole story. So here’s my Little Sister, as sweet a looking and playing guitar as any in my collection:
E979431E-9749-46E8-8F06-EEC895543AB9.jpg

JN99

Hang Fire
Nice! Always been intrigued by these starting with the very first ones I saw back before they were available to the masses at a more reasonable price. From what I have seen these are still very nicely built guitars. Happy NGD.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Awesome. I love the look and have been pining for one myself... and P90s!!!

Congratulations. Let me know if you ever want to get rid of it!!!

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Well, having had a few days to play the Little Sister I thought I’d provide a brief report. I can almost sum it up in one word: amazing! The tone is deep and rich, lovely in every regard. I have one other guitar with P90’s, a Les Paul Jr. B-Bender, and the Little Sister blows it away played through my Nace Pro-18 amp. One upgrade recommended by B&G is a solid brass bridge, and I have ordered one; from the B&G website: “The brass bridge weighs 15g more than the standard gold-plated one, and the difference in tone is noticeable both acoustically and electrically. With the brass, there’s a marked increase in sparkling frequencies, note separation, twang and sustain. We also hear more of the acoustic character coming through and the Crossroads touch dynamics improve”. I am eager to get this installed to see improvements over what is already outstanding.

The build quality is flawless. I must confess to being a “Made in USA” bigot. Although I owned an Ibanez (Japan) and a D’Angelico (Korea) in the years of acquisition and swapping, they didn’t stay long... fine guitars for sure, but I let their origin determine their fate and they are no longer with me. The Little Sister is here to stay.

For any who are interested, there are three new ones available now on Reverb, two at the list price of $1,450... Christmas is coming, perhaps it’s time to reward yourself for being a good boy or girl all year!

Merry Christmas to all,
Mike

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
One upgrade recommended by B&G is a solid brass bridge, and I have ordered one; from the B&G website: “The brass bridge weighs 15g more than the standard gold-plated one, and the difference in tone is noticeable both acoustically and electrically. With the brass, there’s a marked increase in sparkling frequencies, note separation, twang and sustain. We also hear more of the acoustic character coming through and the Crossroads touch dynamics improve”.
A brass bridge does make a difference ... so does the amount of mass in the bridge. I put a solid brass "Mega Mass" tremolo system from Killer Guitar Components in my MIM Strat with a massive brass tremolo block and the brass tremolo plate with a wide heavy bar across the back for even more mass. The improvement in tone and sustain was notable.
eunajfh83683qvo6qbpg_wdp.jpg