Amps Newbie Amp Buyers.....Good Info

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The subject of tube vs solid state amps had been beaten to death here on the forum so, I really don't whish to reopen that debate.
Having said that, If you're relatively new to amps, that's always one of the first decisions you'll be making when you buy a new amp and although there's lots of info out there, It can be daunting to take it all in.

I was scanning my daily deluge of promotional emails today and came across this video.
I think It does a nice job of providing an overview on the topic:

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Good video.

Very objective and a good explanation of the basic differences. Gallagher always seems to be able to explain something in a simple and easy to understand way.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, now that you have totally swamped every newbie out there, most of them will probably just buy an acoustic.
I do have one big nit with what he said, and that is the perceived volume of tube amps vs. solid state. I have a great Carvin Legacy 100W tube amp and 4 X 12 loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. I also have a 100W SS digital Fender Mustang III and an all analog 100W Quilter MicroPro combo that doesn't have a single transistor or anything digital in it (except the reverb).

Just to test this line of bull roar, I plugged the Mustang into that 4X12 and cranked it to max, then did the same with the Legacy head. No perceived difference in volume whatsoever. Same with my Quilter vs. the Legacy. No difference in volume whatsoever. Both my Mustang III and Quilter combo have VERY efficient speakers in them, both right at 100db efficiency ratings and both will pretty much hold their own with that 4X12 with their single 12" speakers.

This line of "bull roar" comes from the early days of SS amps when SS amps were targeted to people with little money and were priced WAY WAY lower than equivalently rated tube amps. To keep the prices low they used cheap, LOW-efficiency speakers. Take any equivalently rated tube amp and SS amp (50W vs 50W) and run them both through the SAME SPEAKER and they will be equally as loud.

Aside from volume, many swear up and down and will keep swearing until they are in their graves that tube amps just "sound better". Well, if they do, I sure can't tell any notable difference and can't tell any notable difference in "feel" either. I have three great tube amps, one with 6L6 tubes, one with EL34's, one with EL84's. Of course they sound "a little different" and feel "a little different" too. But my Mustang is equally satisfying (if dialed in right) and my Quilter is equally satisfying (no matter how you twist its knobbies). My favorite amp of the lot is my Quilter ... because it can do everything all three of my tube amps do and without nearly as much "dialing in" to achieve that as my Mustang requires. Does it sound different and feel different? Not enough to make any difference to me whatsoever. My point here is that we are talking about NEWBIES here. Meaning players WHO DON'T HAVE EARS THAT ARE REFINED ENOUGH TO TELL ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL or even have any clue what I am talking about regarding "feel". I have been playing for over 50 years and have a very refined ear.

So ... my advice to newbies is totally pay no attention to whether an amp is tube or SS. Pay attention to your pocket book and stick to reputable brand names ... and keep in mind that virtually all tube amps are "one trick ponies" while most SS amps are way more versatile.

Last edited: