New to this but here I am.

FrankieEast

Blues Newbie
I'd check it out in the shop when t arrives compred to the one you tried as although the same make/model it may well feel different.
I'll do that, I'm sinking enough in for it that I better get it right from the start this go around. Good advice, thanks for it :)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
If only all the things about cruise ships didn't make me utterly fear the idea of going on a cruise... http://www.bluesaliveatsea.com/ looks like a winner! Expensive but wow.

I have a nice Strat, that is the guitar I started on. I like it until near the end of the neck. The last fret is a reach for some things I've played. I can play it there but it's one of those things where I have to turn the guitar a little more left around my body and get the neck up high to get there. I played my daughter's Epiphone Wildkat and was taken by how much easier it is for me to play that. It seems shorter and the string spacing feels different. She has her own band thing going so I can't just take it, especially with the way she has it set up for the punk rock thing. It doesn't sing well. It growls or it screams like a monster. I'm not into that. Maybe 35 years ago... maybe. Probably not, I was listening to Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones, etc.

So I went to the guitar store and played a few Gibsons. And also tried some other Fenders. Tried a Telecaster, a Jaguar, a Firebird, an SG, a 335 (too big feeling), and the Les Paul (a few different models of it). This is what I should have done in the first place. When I bought the Strat is what because of the music I was listening to. Kenny, SRV, Buddy Guy, Benoit, I liked how it sounded so that's what I got.

Spent about 2 hours tooling around in the guitar store. I liked this one Les Paul (I played a few different ones) for I don't know why I just kept coming back to the same one, it was comfortable and easier to play, and it sounded pretty cool.

I just payed off the note on the bike so there's room for it in the budget and the wife says OK it's your anniversary/birthday/Christmas present all in one... for this year and next until it's paid off... and I'm OK with that.

I ordered the one I kept coming back to, because I wanted a different color. The one I kept coming back to is in this terrible hot pink fade and that just no. So it'll be here Tuesday but in a more natural color with a figured top.

Welcome to the adventure! Unfortunately I am a techie as well, so I'm familiar with the syndrome. Sounds as though you go back and forth between longer and shorter scale lengths, much like I do. The longer I play though, the less of a difference I notice, so lots of practice on both does make a difference. I love my vpicks, as well!

FrankieEast

Blues Newbie
Welcome to the adventure! Unfortunately I am a techie as well, so I'm familiar with the syndrome. Sounds as though you go back and forth between longer and shorter scale lengths, much like I do. The longer I play though, the less of a difference I notice, so lots of practice on both does make a difference. I love my vpicks, as well!
Loving this crowd so far, I live nearly in the mountains and telecommute so I think this is the most I've 'talked' in ages. I do ArcGIS stuff mainly, so I make cool map applications for the FAA. About to wrap up on the flight planning and airspace viz program, being moved over to doing stuff with drone flights starting middle of next week. More adventure :)

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Loving this crowd so far, I live nearly in the mountains and telecommute so I think this is the most I've 'talked' in ages. I do ArcGIS stuff mainly, so I make cool map applications for the FAA. About to wrap up on the flight planning and airspace viz program, being moved over to doing stuff with drone flights starting middle of next week. More adventure :)

Cool, I'm an Esri business partner and have a consulting firm that does ArcGIS implementations and programming. You never know who you will run into here!

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the forum!

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

Oh... And totally with you on duct taping the daughter! Raising girls is a PITA!

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome aboard Frank. You've made a great choice in Griff as your instructor, and the forum for encouragement.
Have fun whilst you learn.(y)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome, FrankieEast!!! You have joined a brand new extended family here ... lots of great people. Never be afraid to ask any question, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question! Be sure to participate in the Gear Talk and Forum pages, and post pics of your guitar and amp in the "Show us your guitar" and "Show us your amp" threads in the Gear Talk page! Oh … and the VJR (Virtual Jam Room) is TONS of fun, so be sure to drop in there as well! Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the group!

patb

Blues Junior
Welcome, FrankieEast!!! You have joined a brand new extended family here ... lots of great people. Never be afraid to ask any question, there is no such thing as a "dumb" question! Be sure to participate in the Gear Talk and Forum pages, and post pics of your guitar and amp in the "Show us your guitar" and "Show us your amp" threads in the Gear Talk page! Oh … and the VJR (Virtual Jam Room) is TONS of fun, so be sure to drop in there as well! Glad to have you with us!

Welcome to the group!
Yep. What he said.