New guy - greetings from Colorado

BigBear58

Blues Newbie
Figured it was time to get serious about learning some actual blues after 40+ years, on and off, of noodling fake-blues and fake-jazz and fake-everything else. Not a beginner, been in a few ragtag bands, but an undisciplined pilgrim of many years.

I'm also on TrueFire (is it okay to mention that?); plan to double team....

Howdy.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Figured it was time to get serious about learning some actual blues after 40+ years, on and off, of noodling fake-blues and fake-jazz and fake-everything else. Not a beginner, been in a few ragtag bands, but an undisciplined pilgrim of many years.

I'm also on TrueFire (is it okay to mention that?); plan to double team....

Howdy.
Welcome to the Forum BigBear. It's fine mentioning ( but not trying to "Sell") other instructors. Loads of folks here use Truefire too. I think what you will find over time is that you use other instructors less and less and maybe just for specific niche things that you are looking for. You will get your best/quickest progress by mainly focusing on which ever of Griff's course you are currently working on, with short side trips to other courses to relieve boredom/monotony.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Welcome! FrankL and I are also from Colorado. What area of the state are you in, if you don't mind sharing? (I'm in the Boulder area)

The Denver area has times of jams, if you have ever tried them (it's OK to fake it, I'm too lazy to do anything else!)

BigBear58

Blues Newbie
Welcome! FrankL and I are also from Colorado. What area of the state are you in, if you don't mind sharing? (I'm in the Boulder area)

The Denver area has times of jams, if you have ever tried them (it's OK to fake it, I'm too lazy to do anything else!)

Hey there, TNS...I'm the Boulder area too. NE Boulder. I haven't really looked for any jams...but thinking maybe I should. I can fake it too !!! Maybe you have some recommendations? I'm a little squirrely about playing in front of crowds...or, small gatherings....or, like, someone else. I'm a little out of practice, and not much better when I'm in practice.

Thanks to all for the welcome - starting to feel like home already. :)

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Welcome aboard, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.

I've picked up several TrueFire courses, and have enjoyed them all (a couple by Larry Carlton, Corey Congelio, and Mike Zito). Like someone else mentioned, I consider Griff my primary teacher, but the others are fun for branching out a little here and there.

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
I also was a member of numerous different guitar sites. Not anymore. This is without doubt the best resource for learning blues on the internet. A total game changer for me. Of course you have to put the time and effort in . If you do the rewards are there. Regards. Russell

Rad

Blues Newbie
I also was a member of numerous different guitar sites. Not anymore. This is without doubt the best resource for learning blues on the internet. A total game changer for me. Of course you have to put the time and effort in . If you do the rewards are there. Regards. Russell

Ya, same hear. I dropped my other online courses, even stopped my local lessons. I do of course utilize YouTube for specific things I might be working on, such as tab for a lead etc.

No question, Griff’s program is the best and the only one where the guy running it, Griff, interacts with the inmates. That sold me.