Student Of The Blues
Staff member
BGU Forum FAQ:
Contact BGU Support:

helpdesk@bluesguitarunleashed.com
877-662-5837

Creating a Dropbox account - Uploading and Posting

New User Limitations
So that we can reduce the number & impact of spammers, brand new members have some limitations placed on them. There may be a limit on how many characters can be used in the first few public posts. At this time we (moderators) aren’t sure of the number of "probationary" posts which must be fulfilled before full membership privileges are allowed. On the first few (I think it is the first three posts) members cannot post a photo or an external link, which may also be part of the issue he faced.

According to the company who makes and supports the forum software (Xenforo), the default setting for a regular message in a thread is 10,000 characters.

No Longer Getting your daily emails?
Try "Get Back On The List"

GoBGU Links
If you have watched any of Griff's recent videos, you may have noticed some abbreviated links or shortcuts to frequently accessed BGU related pages.
Here is a list of the quick links Griff has created so far. This list may change as needed for other BGU related items.

https://gobgu.com/dollaraap - (The $1 All Access Pass trial)
https://gobgu.com/aap - The All Access Pass Info Page
https://gobgu.com/blog - Griff's blog
https://gobgu.com/courses - The BGU Course Catalog
https://gobgu.com/4notesolo - The 4 note solo signup
https://gobgu.com/thelist - Signup for the Daily Email List
https://gobgu.com/members - The Member Portal
https://gobgu.com/forum - The Forum
https://gobgu.com/trainer - The Blues Scale Trainer (flash cards)
https://gobgu.com/boxespdf - The Blues Boxes pdf
https://gobgu.com/howtojam - How To Jam The Blues PDF Signup

How To/Where Is:
Redeem a Golden Ticket

All Access Pass
(AAP) members can earn & redeem a Golden Ticket every 60 days after joining or the redemption of your last Golden Ticket.
Since AAP provides you with streaming access to all courses, you technically don't "own" any course. If you leave the AAP membership, all your access to courses goes away. The Golden Ticket is a way that Griff allows AAP members to retain access to courses over time.
60 days after you use your Golden Ticket you will earn another!

Where is my Golden Ticket
The next Golden Ticket will become available 60 Days following redemption of the last Golden Ticket.
You will notice a Golden Ticket icon at the bottom of the "My Courses" page in your member area. When you decide which course you would like to retain streaming access to if you decide to allow you AAP membership to lapse, add it to your cart, apply the Golden Ticket and it's yours!

Change Your Screen Name
Select your screen name in the upper right of the current screen.
Select Account Details
Select Change button

Change your Avatar
Select your screen name in the upper right of the current screen.
Select Account Details
Scroll down to Avatar & click on current image to upload a new avatar

Conversation:
Want to have a one-on-one conversation with someone?

-Hover over the envelope in the upper right, then At the bottom of the pop up, click "Start A New Conversation"

Want To Tag Someone In Your Post?
-Use an @ in front of their user name within the post. (as in @MikeS)

Post pictures: (Three ways)
1) Add it to your Media area then, in your post click on the camera
2) Save it to a sharing site, capture the URL then in your post use the "picture icon" (Mountain with a moon???) to insert the URL.
3) Upload a File button in the lower right area of your post. There are size limits! If I remember correctly 8g is the largest file, so since modern cameras usually take hi Rez pictures, you MAY have to resize your picture.

Delete past Conversations:
-New Forum Software does not seem to allow this.

Have meaningful words in place of a URL:
-type the words like: "This Is Meaningful" into your message, then select them (click & drag), click the chain icon, type or paste the URL, click Insert. (STRONGLY SUGGEST that you add some color to the words too. Use the ink drop icon)
Paparaptor's example: A Link By Any Other Name

Old Links No longer "Active:
When you find "Old Forum" links that no longer appear active, Highlight the entire link, then right click it. You should get an option to "Go to" the link.

Turn off email notification:
-Before you select "Post Reply", Select "More Options", then uncheck "and Receive email notifications". (Should be the default?)

View NEW posts:
- Select The "New Posts" button at the top of the page. Just under the blue bar.

How do I move between user levels?
User levels are just a fun way for you to see who creates the most posts. That’s it. It’s all based on the number of times you post questions, answers or whatever to the forum and earn little trophies. There are no hidden perks that go along with the various status levels.
All new forum members start at Blues Newbie, and from there progress through:
Blues Junior
Student Of The Blues
Senior Bluesman
Blues Pro
Blues Legend

Again, this is just for fun and to give new users a quick read on members who have been around a long time and have been helpful.

Where Can I Find Information on...
Griff’s Jam Tracks?

Griff has provided us with some really great Jam Tracks within each course. In addition he has created several offering with just jam tracks, including:

29 Blues Jam Tracks:
29 Blues Jam Tracks is a collection of very high quality and well played jam tracks. And while I cannot take credit for the original recordings, what was lacking was a companion book with the best rhythm parts and chord changes written out in TAB and chord charts. And I also added notes for each track on what soloing options might work best over the track.[/SIZE][/HEADING]
5x5 Jam Tracks:
Blues tends to be in 1 of 5 common feels, and usually in one of 5 common keys. So I got the band together and we recorded each of the 5 feels in each of the common keys. It's a great accompaniment to any soloing course[/SIZE][/HEADING]
Ultimate Blues Jams :
How about 40 jam tracks inspired by some of the most classic "blues jam" tunes ever? Recorded live with a real band in a real studio these tracks have all the chewy mojo of a great open jam night.
Ultimate Blues Jams Volume 2:
Here are 50 more jam tracks inspired by some of the most classic "blues jam" tunes ever? Recorded live with a real band in a real studio these tracks have all the chewy mojo of a great open jam night.
8 Bar Blues Jam Tracks :
After not being able to find enough 8 bar blues jam tracks, I decided to make my own and it's the motherlode of 8 bar variations, keys, and feels.
Find them here:

Recording, Hardware, Software…
We strongly encourage everyone to record their work and share it with the user community, so we’re trying to build a library of recording tips, hardware and software.

ANSWERS WANTED:

Last edited:

Cowboy Bob

Horse Player/Guitar Wrangler
SOLVED!

MISC:
I'm finding it easier to navigate when using the "Default Style" (see "Style Chooser" at the bottom of the main page).

Good tip. I like the UI.X style personally, but it is nice to have options.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I wonder if there is anyway to login to the forum and only show new posts since your last login...? Anyone know?

Thanks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I wonder if there is anyway to login to the forum and only show new posts since your last login...? Anyone know?

Thanks
There should be a "New Posts" button at the top of the page. Just under the blue bar.

artyman

Fareham UK
Is there a way to mark a forum as read, the Introductions for example, I see mention of "The Blue Star" but can't see it!!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Yes, there are two "levels" When you are on the main page, just under the blue bar (Forums. Media...) you should see "Mark forums read"
When you are inside a forum area, like The Lounge, and you click the same heading you will get two options, "Mark Forums Read" or "mark Lounge read"

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I find the background faded text difficult to see.
I don't know what that is. Maybe it's something that Griff can look into. Could you be more specific? Is it all text everywhere? Only in certain menus? can you include a screen shot?
Anything to help Griff narrow down the issue.

ghack

Blues Newbie
like the text in the drop down menus. i just switched to the default style which is better just dont like the color. lol such a whiner. lol And although i have all email notifications unchecked im still getting them.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff is still tweaking some things. I know that I couldn't read the info when you click on a user name (I think t was dark blue on grey. Now it's easier to read.
I'm having the same issue with emails. I have all email turned off in my profile, but I'm still getting some.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Griff is still tweaking some things. I know that I couldn't read the info when you click on a user name (I think t was dark blue on grey. Now it's easier to read.
I'm having the same issue with emails. I have all email turned off in my profile, but I'm still getting some.
I think if you started watching a thread with email notification on (the initial default setting for replying, starting, etc.) then you have to unwatch the thread to stop the emails. You can then turn it back on and select "without receiving emails" if you want to keep watching.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I'm not sure that works, because, I've gone back in and "Edited" a post, changed the check boxes so that It is "Unwatched" yet when I look again they are still checked.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Interesting...
I used the Watch/Unwatch Thread link at the very top of the thread to turn the watching on and off, not the checkboxes on the edit>more options screen -- maybe there's a difference.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
SOLVED!

How to turn off email notification:
-Before you select "Post Reply", Select "More Options", then uncheck "and Receive email notifications". (Should be the default?)

I'm finding it easier to navigate when using the "Default Style" (see "Style Chooser" at the bottom of the main page).
Mike, I went to the "Alert Preferences" and turned off both the "Replies to a watched thread" and the "Attaches a file to a watched thread". This should be the master on/off switch for these two email notifications? Correct? It should be. I'm hoping I don't have to turn off the email notifications every time I make a comment.......... That will get old quick.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I know. I agree that it SHOULD work that way, but I've turned all that off and I still get emails. Either I'm doing something wrong, or it's not working as I would expect it to.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It seems like some threads are getting automatically tagged as "Watch Thread" up at the top of the thread. I think that I stop getting emails (or at least alerts) when I change that to Unwatch Thread.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
It seems like some threads are getting automatically tagged as "Watch Thread" up at the top of the thread. I think that I stop getting emails (or at least alerts) when I change that to Unwatch Thread.
Hopefully that will be something that can be fixed?