NDD

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Marantz huh?

I was a Pioneer guy myself. :thumbup:
Yeah, that Marantz has been around for quite a while. I think I got it at a garage sale for $20, probably 20 years ago. All the pilot lamps were burned out (still are), so the seller figured it was on its last legs. I also have a mid-80s Pioneer 4 channel (before 5.1) that lives in the barn. My old main amp is/was a mid-70's Sony amp paired with a Kenwood tuner. It served me well up until it just didn't come up one day. The speaker protection relay won't kick in. I've toyed with the idea of sending it off to CapnDenny, but the damn thing weighs like 40 pounds and the shipping both ways would make it nearly prohibitive.

I still have and use the two pair of Bang and Olufsen speakers on my system. I bought them back in 1971. There is probably better stuff around, but I'm pretty well used to their sound.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
OK, maybe I can get a couple guitars back in here.
DayOne-Drums.jpg

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Big difference between ZBTs and A Custom's, both on terms of sound and price!

I've been playing a lot of jazz lately, using A Custom's. Looking to put together a set of K's. I have a lot of cymbals, A's, A Custom's and a full set of Paiste 2002's, but always wanted a set of K's.

He ended up getting a Mapex Black Panther (14x5) snare and a set of Zildjian K hybrid series (21" ride, 17" crash and 16" crash, with a set of 14" hats). I didn't have to wait too long for him to show up. It turns out Allegiant air offers super cheap air fare between Fort Lauderdale and Concord NC Regional, so he and his wife visited again this week and he set everything up. Much fun was had... :D

Shodai

Blues Junior
The Black Panther snares sound really good. I have one in 13" Maple. Another great Craigslist find.

I've always considered mapex one of those sleeper brands. Really good product, really good sound, but not quite as popular as the brands that have been around for a little while longer.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
He ended up getting a Mapex Black Panther (14x5) snare and a set of Zildjian K hybrid series (21" ride, 17" crash and 16" crash, with a set of 14" hats). I didn't have to wait too long for him to show up. It turns out Allegiant air offers super cheap air fare between Fort Lauderdale and Concord NC Regional, so he and his wife visited again this week and he set everything up. Much fun was had... :D

I was never a fan of K's across-the-board except for the hats. I have a set of K hats which I absolutely love!

Shodai

Blues Junior
I have several cymbal sets and, just like my guitars, I like them all for different reasons. My A Zildjian set is, well, a set a A's. They're the Swiss Army Knife of the cymbal world. You can use them for everything. The A Custom's have a unique sound, great for recording.K's and K Custom's are great when you want a darker, or dryer sound. Good for Jazz and sometimes blues. And I have a set of Paiste 2002 which are great for classic rock. I even have a full set of the Zildjian L80 practice cymbals. Would never use them live, but for practice they're awesome!

I can't say that I dislike any of them. I can say that they sound best when used in the right context. It's sort of like choosing the right pickups, strings, amps or effects for guitar. You have to use the right tools to get the sounds you want.

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
Always been a Zildjian fan, but to me, this particular Meinl kit has the perfect balance of sound. I still have a L80 pack and an A Custom pack in the closet.