Naming protocol

L

LynnLaFrance

Haven't been down here in a while and was listening to some prior tracks..... What happened to the naming protocol?

I see there is a new suggestion to let everyone know when you are recording, and that is interesting, but did everyone just chuck the naming protocol?

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I'm not sure what you're speaking of Lynn . If I have posted using the wrong protocol please refresh my memory . I would like to be as user friendly as possible . :)

L

LynnLaFrance

I'm not sure what you're speaking of Lynn . If I have posted using the wrong protocol please refresh my memory . I would like to be as user friendly as possible . :)

Giayank, there's a sticky up at the top of the area called "VJR Guidelines" that Chuck put up a couple of years ago.  Here is the link.... http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1328274267

and in it, it states..... quote

This is the Guide for naming the tracks after recording in a slot that Beaux did some time back.

slow blues A 0000 is a tune in A with 4 parts, and
slow blues A XX00 is the same tune with the 1st 2 parts completed and last 2 open.
slow blues A XXXX is a completed tune.

Please try and make sure that Key signature lies somewhere in the title. This makes it easier for the newer members to determine what to play.

i.e. Bm medium blues

unquote.

The same thing is mentioned in the other sticky at the top named VJR Notes / Tips

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1391292600

Just wondering if the naming protocol has changed since I was down here last.  If it has then I'm sure the Mods can change the stickys accordingly.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Adhering to the posted conventions certainly wouldn't hurt, so I'd leave the sticky.  But since so many of the users shorten the Dropbox URL to be compatible with the forum software, the file names are no longer readily apparent in the posts. Accordingly, the file naming conventions have become less useful.

When I download a track now, I sometimes rename the track that came before me if it has X's and O's, otherwise I just use what was there. It's not hard to find where I'm supposed to play once I have the track downloaded and not hard for the next player to do the same.

I think the last player should announce the track is full, though, and the conventions of announcing style and key in the original post are still helpful.

giayank

I remember the X's and O's now that you mention them . LOL . I also remember that as a new user to the VJR they helped me fit in and know my place in track . Encouraging new participants is the utmost importance so if it helped me as a new user I'm sure it will in turn help somebody else . I'll try to keep the naming protocol conformed for all to see and use .  :)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Adhering to the posted conventions certainly wouldn't hurt, so I'd leave the sticky.  But since so many of the users shorten the Dropbox URL to be compatible with the forum software, the file names are no longer readily apparent in the posts. Accordingly, the file naming conventions have become less useful.

When I download a track now, I sometimes rename the track that came before me if it has X's and O's, otherwise I just use what was there. It's not hard to find where I'm supposed to play once I have the track downloaded and not hard for the next player to do the same.

I think the last player should announce the track is full, though, and the conventions of announcing style and key in the original post are still helpful.

FYI, the forum won't truncate the link if you enclose it within the URL tags.  That's the little globe button at the top of this post window.  Here's an example of two ways you can do it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168818512/Back Beat Swing in E minor vjr_xxxxoo.mp3

I have no idea what the actual file is, but it's something from my dropbox account that was previously posted in a VJR thread.  Just paste the link into the post window and while it's still highlighted, go up to the globe button and click it.  The forum software puts a {URL} {/URL} tag around the filename and it won't get broken by forum software.  Note, in the real link the { }curly braces are actually the square brackets []. 

You can also put the link inside the first {URL}  like so:
{url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/168818512/Back%20Beat%20Swing%20in%20E%20minor%20vjr_xxxxoo.mp3}Regular Filename{/url}

You can put anything you want (such as a regular filename) in between the two tags and it will appear like this:
Regular Filename <===But this link takes you to the same place as the other link I posted above.

It's not the most intuitive thing in the world, but it ain't rocket surgery, either!  ;) ;)

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
I had some problems using the URL tags with long file names early on... some file names were still too long.  But I'm willing to revisit the concept.

Now that you've spelled it out the syntax, I kind of like the idea of using a shortened link together with a "regular" file name which follows the VJR room conventions:
{url=shortened URL}Regular Filename{/url}

Even if the stored file name is different, its label would be as informative as the old names used to be.

L

LynnLaFrance

I'm not sure what the URL length has to do with the actual use of the agreed upon naming convention such as Blues_in_A_XXOOOOOO.mp3.  That would just be part of the link, but it really doesn't matter what the the link looks like if the name of the file is the important part - does it?

Didn't the naming idea come about to assist people using the track and to give info and courtesy to the next player? Maybe I'm wrong about that.  :)

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
There are two things that are useful to know.  What's the key, and did you do the last track.  I never knew how many there was, because some did 12 and some did 24 or 36.

Exactly how many X's or O's there are doesn't really add much, and I don't know how to figure it anyway.

I think we should simplify it to at least have the key, if it's the end, and also some variant of the original jamtrack title.  That way it doesn't get lost in my directory.

giayank

when I export the mp3 from audacity I don't save the audacity file . So what happens is I get two mp3's with the same name so I change the file name of the one I added my solo to and post the link in the VJR . The original one I put in a folder VJR Mp3's on my computer to store .So what I'll try to do next time I post is to post the dropbox link along with a song name something like

" giayank blues in Am XXXX000000 . "

This states to me a blues in Am with 120 bars which four have been played over .
    What would be a big help to me would be a way to signify if it's a straight blues , quick change or some other format .I can't always tell on my own.

L

LynnLaFrance

There are two things that are useful to know.  What's the key, and did you do the last track.  I never knew how many there was, because some did 12 and some did 24 or 36.

Exactly how many X's or O's there are doesn't really add much, and I don't know how to figure it anyway.

I think we should simplify it to at least have the key, if it's the end, and also some variant of the original jamtrack title.  That way it doesn't get lost in my directory.

The X and O are simply how many go around's (12 bars) there are total in the song, X's indicate that 12 bars has been taken and the O's indicate how many are left for new players.  The X and O's add a great deal of info to the file.

If I were to post in the VJR  - Get Some Blues in A XXOOOOOO  Then you know the name is Get Some Blues and the key is A and I took the first 24 bars and there are 6 more 12 bar "solos" available for others to play on.  It's not too difficult.

It was set up this way so that you would know how many bars people played on before you and how many were left - regardless if they took 12, 24 or 36.  And it also was set up so that if you are the last one and finish the name it will have all XX's and you know it's complete. 

It has everything you just asked for I believe.

vashondan

Blues Doobie
I'm with the Capn.  Simple, easy and include the key although it's often a good test for me to find the right key. 

Has anyone been having problems with the way things have been going?  I haven't seen any concerns being posted until LLL's.  When we had the discussion about letting people know when you're recording or not I think the consensus was that folks would try to remember to say when they're recording and, if someone forgot, there wouldn't be a public hanging. 

I'm not against changes if the group as a whole thinks we need them but it also seems that a lot of recording has gone on without any big problems

FishKiller

Blues Newbie
After 4shared started talking in russian, most of us dropped our 4shared accounts, and went with dropbox, with 4shared you could see the the x's & o's in the track title, but with dropbox you cannot, so we stopped adding them in the track title.
As long as the one that fills up the track at the end notes that it is done, there should not be any problem figuring out were to add your part.

Carlos

vashondan

Blues Doobie
Agreed Carlos. I had forgotten that you guys were using 4shared. I was just lurking then and wasn't even aware there was a protocol.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
You mean like count how many bars are in a jam track?   I don't know man, counting and stuff?

I think the bare minimum is

1. The recording light thing. 

2. List the key, even if not in the name of the file, in the post is OK.

3. (Maybe) And maybe just say how much time is left.  You know 2 minutes or 30 seconds or zero.  That way you get an idea of how much time you have to get off your duff and make a recording.

The use of the recording light obviates the need of where you are in the sequence, the XX's and OO's.  You just reserve the next block, until you are done.

I know people came up with a nice system, but I'm for making it accessible to as many as possible, and strict naming stuff makes it tough.

I think this is pretty cool.  I don't really get licks from here, I'm not that good.  But what I do get is other people's approach to the sound.  My sound tends to all sound the same.  Not all backing tracks sound good with any one sound.  So to hear other people approach to blending with the track is interesting, and I think very valuable.

So when you make a track please put in the description any special effects and also what guitar and amp and interface you are using.  Some people just started doing that, and I think that is really good to know.

I think the VJR is a nice feature, and makes playing fun.  The work on BGU get's me bogged down sometimes.  The VJR is fun and makes it all worthwhile.  Sometimes I even listen to a track, and think, "Hey that guy sounds good!"  Hey wait a minute, that was me? :cool:

giayank

I think I confused myself enough . I'll post key - what gear used - link and how many bars I think I played over . I like the idea of being able to paste another loop of track when we get a lot of people involved . Maybe even doing a second solo after getting some new idea from others solos . I don't want to be a sound engineer . I just want to post and play for fun to whoever wants to listen and join in .

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yeah, that works.  And use of the recording light or notification.  I agree, it's about playing and having fun.

Of course some of us like playing recording engineer too, but then I also liked word problems in math class!  :D

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
[glow=yellow,2,300][/glow]
Yeah, that works.  And use of the recording light or notification.  I agree, it's about playing and having fun.

Of course some of us like playing recording engineer too, [glow=yellow,2,300]but then I also liked word problems in math class![/glow]  :D

Well that explains a lot!  ;)  :p

L

LynnLaFrance

I'm with the Capn.  Simple, easy and include the key although it's often a good test for me to find the right key. 

Has anyone been having problems with the way things have been going?  I haven't seen any concerns being posted until LLL's.  When we had the discussion about letting people know when you're recording or not I think the consensus was that folks would try to remember to say when they're recording and, if someone forgot, there wouldn't be a public hanging. 

I'm not against changes if the group as a whole thinks we need them but it also seems that a lot of recording has gone on without any big problems

Concerns?  I just asked a question about the naming protocol Dan since I haven't been down in the VJR for a while and thought it would be good for me to pick up the guitar and record something.

I wanted to make sure that I respected what was in place when I was posting here before - that is why I took the time to check recent postings and I noticed the naming wasn't what was posted as a VJR guideline.  Beaux and others did a good job at the time of coming up with the naming protocol as a logical, helpful and useful idea, hence the sticky guideline. 

If something different is happening now it would be good for people to know so that there isn't any confusion and changes can be made in the guidelines so they are up to date.

I guess I'll let Chuck know so he can make changes accordingly.