Pedals/Effects Multi FX vs real pedals on a 20W Tube amp

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
Since I got a Marshall Origin 20 combo for Christmas my Line6 Pod Go went from main gear to pedal simulation only, using 4 cable method. After some tweaking this rig now sounds quite nice. I need to use an attenuator to be able to crank gain and master volume. The most important „pedal“ I use is a reverb in the fx loop, the amp sounds rather dry without one, and an overdrive between guitar and pre amp. I had the chance to test some cheap Behringer pedals and from my point of view the Pod Go pedal simulations sound much better.

The big question is, would real, better pedals be a remarkable improvement over the Pod Go ? Thinking about stuff like a Source Audio Collider, Blues Driver and Tube Screamer, but the cost along the required infrastructure (pedal board, power supply and such) would cost way more than the amp itself…

Anybody got the chance to make a comparison ? I have seen Griff‘s AAP session on the HX Effects, which uses the same modeling engine as the Pod Go, and he seemed to be pretty impressed.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Since I got a Marshall Origin 20 combo for Christmas my Line6 Pod Go went from main gear to pedal simulation only, using 4 cable method. After some tweaking this rig now sounds quite nice. I need to use an attenuator to be able to crank gain and master volume. The most important „pedal“ I use is a reverb in the fx loop, the amp sounds rather dry without one, and an overdrive between guitar and pre amp. I had the chance to test some cheap Behringer pedals and from my point of view the Pod Go pedal simulations sound much better.

The big question is, would real, better pedals be a remarkable improvement over the Pod Go ? Thinking about stuff like a Source Audio Collider, Blues Driver and Tube Screamer, but the cost along the required infrastructure (pedal board, power supply and such) would cost way more than the amp itself…

Anybody got the chance to make a comparison ? I have seen Griff‘s AAP session on the HX Effects, which uses the same modeling engine as the Pod Go, and he seemed to be pretty impressed.

1) Are you happy with your sound? if the answer is yes, then...
2) nothing else matters

Will actual pedals sound different, absolutely! Better? Well, that's too subjective.
Buying individual pedals is an expensive addiction. Ask me why I have over half a dozen Tube Screamer type pedals. (I have no Idea)
Playing around with different pedals is fun, but as I said, it can be expensive.
I'd recommend using your Multi-effects pedal and listening to each effect. IF there is one that you really don't like, then that's a candidate for a physical pedal.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm in general agreement with @MikeS on this.

Actual pedals vs pedal simulations may sound better but that would be a personal point of view.

If your current setup delivers a tone you like, no need to add anything.
But, then again, somehow many of us have the desire to keep trying new things.

How you pursue that is always an individual choice, some use multi effects while others collect pedals.

My personal path has taken me down the path of pedals vs multi effects.
I've grown to to dislike endless menus that come with multi effects units.

Any difference in tone between pedals and multi effects units has not influenced my choices.

I'm pleased with the variety of the tones I get with an amp and pedals but, I think It's just as much about form factor as it is tonal differences.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Like the others have said, better is extremely subjective. I've got a closet full of pedals that I bought (and keep) because I like their sound. Are they better than the others in the closet. That's debatable. In fact, like MikeS, I've got a shelf full of TS-type pedals. Is one better than the others? Heck if I know...they pretty much all the sound the same by the time I get them dialed in.

I've got a couple of multi-effects that I've sometimes used when I'm playing out. At this point, it really comes back to what sound do I want and how much gear I want to haul. If I feel like I need an amp model along with a reverb and OD, then it's one of the multi-effects. If all I want is a reverb and OD pedal, then it's a couple of pedals and a 1-Spot.

Buying individual pedals is an expensive addiction. Ask me why I have over half a dozen Tube Screamer type pedals. (I have no Idea)
I do the same thing with TS-types and kones. Once I hit about 10 of them on the shelf, I pick about half of them to keep and then the others go to Reverb to fund the next bunch. Well, went to Reverb. Since Reverb now sends you a 1099 for annual sales over $600, I may just pack them up and take them to GC and see what they'll give me. Not interested in that tax headache when all I'm doing is flipping gear I don't really use anymore to fund more gear. It's not a business, and, in the event I do make money, it's never more than a few bucks. Dang feds.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road

Hi Peter,
I sold all my pedals and bought a multi-effect - Mooer Truck. It has Reverb, Delay, Distortion, Tremolo, Phaser, Chorus/Flanger, Echo.
It's very economical on space, weighs about nothing compared to my former pedal board. I never looked back. It suits me very well for my needs.
I don't perform out of the house (I have seen a few band guitarists use this multi - and the sound was good). For me it was a very rewarding change.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
a lot of money to fork out to match the over 100 pedals on the hx ;) ,,, is there a difference? maybe ,better ? maybe, in a mix non. Most bands these days will have digital effects some where in the rig,,

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Interested to hear your thoughts on the Body Rez. I got mine mainly to use with acoustic.
I am sorry ... it has been a while since I updated my photo stash. I haven't used the Body Rez for a loooooong time. Fact is, I didn't think it did much of anything at all. Here is a current pic of my mini-board.
BOARD03.jpg

Ans a current run-down on the pedal costs and milliamps.

COSTS - MILLIAMPS.jpg

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I haven't used the Body Rez for a loooooong time. Fact is, I didn't think it did much of anything at all. ]

Okay. I was just wondering how it might work with an electric since I had heard of it being used mostly with acoustic or other instruments.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
If it is a distortion, fuzz, muff type, the right pedals sound better to me.

If if is a time based effect, reverb etc. multi FX seem to do fine.

They also have the advantage of saving presets so you can quickly change, without having to Ben Dover

My .02 cents for what it is worth.

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany

They also have the advantage of saving presets so you can quickly change, without having to Ben Dover

Yesterday I got two pedals from a friend to do some tests, a Hall of Fame 2 reverb and a Blues Driver (with Monte allums H2O mod). After some fiddling with the knobs I exactly experienced what Crossroads said. It was hard to set the reverb in a way to be at least on par with the Pod Go, but the real Blues Driver sounds and feels better than the Pod. The Pod is not bad, sound wise, but the BD takes dynamic play and the volume knob better than the Pod.

Later in the evening I sat down to do some calculations. Since I play a wider range of stuff besides the blues, from acoustic strumming stuff to old school rock and metal, I would need a ton of pedals to completely replace the Pod. To sound better some of the pedals wouldn‘t be cheap (time based stuff is really expensive…). Long term I will have a real pedal board but for the time being I‘ll stay with the Pod for flexibility .

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
Yesterday I got two pedals from a friend to do some tests, a Hall of Fame 2 reverb and a Blues Driver (with Monte allums H2O mod). After some fiddling with the knobs I exactly experienced what Crossroads said. It was hard to set the reverb in a way to be at least on par with the Pod Go, but the real Blues Driver sounds and feels better than the Pod. The Pod is not bad, sound wise, but the BD takes dynamic play and the volume knob better than the Pod.

Later in the evening I sat down to do some calculations. Since I play a wider range of stuff besides the blues, from acoustic strumming stuff to old school rock and metal, I would need a ton of pedals to completely replace the Pod. To sound better some of the pedals wouldn‘t be cheap (time based stuff is really expensive…). Long term I will have a real pedal board but for the time being I‘ll stay with the Pod for flexibility .

also there is no model of the bluesdriver in the line6 ;) ,,but yes i think its more a feel thing, in a band mix nobody will know, if you go on you tube there are plenty of vids showig people match up the drives on the helix against the real pedals, sound wise they get very close

straightblues

Blues Junior

I feel the same. I use a Line 6 HXFX for my modulations and delays. But for my drive pedals I want individual pedals. I think they tend to sound better, and they need tweeking. Tweeking pedals is much easier at a gig than trying to do it on a multi effects unit.

PeterSchroeder

Munich, Germany
also there is no model of the bluesdriver in the line6 ;) ,,but yes i think its more a feel thing, in a band mix nobody will know, if you go on you tube there are plenty of vids showig people match up the drives on the helix against the real pedals, sound wise they get very close
I once in a while meet with a friend to jam, but don‘t play in a band. For these meetings I simply bring my Pod Go. Griff did an AAP Session about Helix FX some time ago where he shows how to mimick a Blues Driver, works pretty well, but doesn’t give the feel and dynamics. For me playing guitar is mostly for relaxing and having fun. And Pedals are fun. Couldn‘t resist, I started to guild a board.
I feel the same. I use a Line 6 HXFX for my modulations and delays. But for my drive pedals I want individual pedals. I think they tend to sound better, and they need tweeking. Tweeking pedals is much easier at a gig than trying to do it on a multi effects unit.
That would be too much of a mess for me as I would need to use 4cm on the Helix. My small board also serves the purpose of getting rid of some chaos in my basement.

my starting point is two overdrives (Blues Driver and Plumes Signal Shredder), and an EHX Oceans 11 reverb on a self made board with a Palmer power supply. A Polytune tuner and a simple looper are on their way to me as well. Got a Harley Benton Wah if I need one. That should be all I need for the time being, with one or two other pedals on the mid term wish list, a delay and maybe the Phase 90.