Mouth is too busy with counting, tired!

roudan

Blues Newbie
I like counting so to get timing correct, this is the way for music. But sometime when speed is fast with mixed of 1/16,1/8.1/4 notes and rest, my mouth keep counting 1 e and ah repeatedly and my mouth is tired. For example,playing exercise 6-12 with backing tracking, I have to keep counting in order to get timing right. There is a 1/16 note so I have to count 1e and ah for all the notes as Griff did. Even for the rest, I also need to count 2 e and ah, 3 e and ah.

Are you guy doing the same as me? I didn't see any musician counting at stage. I was told they got training to have timing in their head so they just follow their mind. So the question is how to train to move from mouth counting to mind counting especially for adult? Like learning language, it is very easy for kids to pick up new language. For adult, it is not easy, i think learning music is the same!

Thanks.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
It's the same old answer. Practice. As you repeat the piece more especially at speed you will suddenly one day realise you started to think about something else weren't counting and still played in time. Probably won't be this week, may not happen for this piece (probably best to move on once you have it just about otherwise the course will take years and get very tedious) but it will happen one day....or so they tell me:rolleyes:

cheers

Al.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Trying to count out loud confuses the hell out of me. I'm working at it because Griff says it is important and he should know. I find it much easier to just listen and get a feel for the rhythm of the lick. Counting may work in a learning and practice situation, but in a live gigging situation, good luck!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
You don't necessarily see a musician counting out loud on stage, but you do see them bobbing their head, tapping their foot, or any number of other things that they do to keep track of the time. They have played the songs enough that they don't have to count 1 e & ah 2 e & ah, but they know what note they should be on when their foot hits the ground, and they're still very cognizant of the what beat they're on even thought they're probably thinking about the list of groceries that they have to pick up on the way home from the gig.

Like the others have said, it just takes practice. Lots and lots of practice until we getting to where we can subdivide the beat without having to think about it. And, for what it's worth, most of us are right there counting with you. I do ok with everything up to 1/16th notes, but those can get really messy, really fast if I don't count them out.

LLL

Workin' the Blues
Advice given so far for you is great. Counting and being able to understand timing is key to being able to play well. And that takes time, patience and practice. Your mouth may get tired but your brain is processing everything you count and putting it in muscle memory. Eventually, as others have said, you will be able to play the piece maybe without counting out loud.

Just because you don't "see" musicians onstage counting, doesn't mean they don't do it when then need it. You don't see them fart on stage either but I'll bet that they do it when they need to! :)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Advice given so far for you is great. Counting and being able to understand timing is key to being able to play well. And that takes time, patience and practice. Your mouth may get tired but your brain is processing everything you count and putting it in muscle memory. Eventually, as others have said, you will be able to play the piece maybe without counting out loud.

Just because you don't "see" musicians onstage counting, doesn't mean they don't do it when then need it. You don't see them fart on stage either but I'll bet that they do it when they need to! :)
I can neither confirm nor deny such reports...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Counting is important if you're playing "pick up" notes or coming in after the "one".

As a recovering bass player, I would say it is essential