Mojo Sound Amps

patb

Blues Junior
Looking at the Tweed Champ 5f1 Style Combo and the Blackface Vibrolux Champ 7 watt.
Has anyone played a humbucker guitar or blues harp through either of these? These are touted as re creating the original sound.
I'm tempted to assemble the kit but have NO knowledge of electronics or assembly and I'm red green color blind.
Thanks,
Pat

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I cannot comment on the performance of either amplifier you mentioned, but have a few words about building your own, and in this case from a kit.

If you have the time, interest, and money, then go for it! Be aware that being color blind prevented people from entering electronics in the Air Force. That could be an issue, if you have to observe color codes of resistors as an example. You should first purchase a solder station (get a good one!) and a few parts to practice with. Check out YouTube for soldering examples.

Should you build the kit, and do not like the tubes, those can be replaced, which is entirely subjective and drives up the cost.

Another consideration is to purchase an amplifier like a Monoprice 5 watt amplifier:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

Or a 15 watt version:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611815

My son and I have the 15 watt version, and we both love our amplifiers! I use mine at home and our son takes his out all the time to teach students.

If you build your own, just take it easy.

By the way, Cowboy is the one who got me interested in the 15 watt Monoprice.

Tom

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I would say if you have no knowledge of assembly or elecrtronics and color blind, don't go for it.

I grew up making crystal radios and Heathkits. Learned how to solder back then. Ended up getting an EE degree and still working in the field.

If you build it and then it doesn't work, what then?

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Build a kit for the fun of building it. You won’t save money by building it yourself. But it is fun.

If it doesn’t work there are people who will help.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
There are also pedal kits out there from Stew Mac and others. I will echo that you probably won't save money, but it will be the experiece and accomplishment that you get out of it.