Miscellaneous Martin Guitars

Telypaul

Blues Newbie
Hi Folks have we any Martin users out there to give me a heads up, I have always fancied a Martin and have had a poor man’s Martin for years Sigma DM1 S made in Korea and supposedly passes out by Martin after production ? It plays well but a little lacking in performance (like my playing). It easily out played a Fender Gemini I had at about the same time as I got it.

I am fancying a Standard D18, looking round the net I have seen no adverse comments, If I can find a good used one that would be ideal. At 73 I don’t think I have time for a new one to mature and come into its own, even if I can keep playing, I have some problems with arthritis as it is.

I’ve looked at Taylor, Gibson etc but somehow they don’t float my boat, I look forwards to any comments thanks.

Paul.

gpower

Blues Junior
There are a couple of guys here heavily into Martins Paul. Had a D16 myself for quite a while and why I let it go remains a mystery. BTW.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I think if you like the feel of the Sigma you'd be good with a Martin, Martins tend to play a little stiff to me, I like the feel of Taylor's personally. My number one acoustic is currently a Larrivee jumbo. I'd love to try out a Zager, but unless you somebody who owns one, that's not an option.

Last edited:

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
FWIW... I go more for the smaller body guitars, OM and 000 style but I've had 3 Martins and loved them all. Not sure how they compare to Sigma!

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I fully understand your situation.
I keep looking at Martins and just can't justify the price of a good one.
At the same time, I think, there is something special about a quality used acoustic.

I'd never talk somebody down from getting what they want, however....

At the risk of adding unsolicited input, I would suggest that you also consider an older FG series YAMAHA guitars.
In the 70's, when they came out, they where built with attention to quality as an affordable alternative to Martins.
The ones made in Japan with the "red label" are the most desirable but, you need to do a little homework to understand which ones are best.
I've seen VERY good ones go for $400 - $600 and they would be a huge step up from that Sigma.
They sound great and play nice..

Last edited:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I understand if you have a hankering for a Martin only the real thing will do. I bought a D-28 several years ago and its my favourite guitar. Due to the size its not the easiest to play, but easily the most satisfying. Don't let anyone talk you out of it, just go for it! :whistle:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I spose you could say I'm a big fan of Martin's? I own 5 of them including a DM-12, 12 string. I've never bought a brand new one but by the looks of mine you might think that I have. I look and watch until I can get a deal and then I buy. I have found that if you like the action and sound of a Martin and you go to a "good level" American made, you won't find a bad one. If you want a "real" Martin you will stick to American made. There is a difference. Even the the Mexican made Martins sound green to me. I seem to gravitate to the 28 series as I have 3 of them including 2 D size 28's (HD-28 and a DC-28E cut-away). I also have a DC-1E cut-away which is my kick around guitar - for now it's at the ski townhouse for the winter and I wouldn't think twice about taking it to an open mic to play in public.... @JestMe had a great idea with suggesting the 000 size. If you are finger picking? Get the 000. If you want to strum real loud? Get the D size. I should say that the 000 size is plenty loud for most occasions. My 000-28 is my go to guitar right now when I play acoustic. I recorded a song with it for the All Access Pass fix-it's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ0Kf8Hy2p4 . I'd like a 000-18 or perhaps an auditorium size E-cut-away but I've got enough to keep me busy until I get a great deal. If you want to get the most from your Martin you need to put 12's on your short scale and at least 11's on a standard scale - 12's are mo-betta. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I understand if you have a hankering for a Martin only the real thing will do. I bought a D-28 several years ago and its my favourite guitar. Due to the size its not the easiest to play, but easily the most satisfying. Don't let anyone talk you out of it, just go for it! :whistle:
Years ago, our band's lead guitar player had a D18 and wanted a D28. I bought the D18 from him, and he got his D28. The difference in sound and satisfaction was like night and day. Because of that experience when I look at Martins, the only one I have any interest in is the D28 and I simply can't afford one ... well, I could, but I just can't justify the expense considering how little I actually play my acoustic. Anyway, my unsolicited advice is that if you do play acoustic a lot, and want a great sounding acoustic, and want a Martin, just bide your time, save your pennies, and get a D28.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Martin acoustic guitars are very fine instruments. You like what you like. :cool:

I ended up with a Breedlove, made in Bend, Oregon, and I love it! :)

The following offering is meant to be enjoyed!

10 Reasons Not To Buy A Martin D-18 :eek:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ebA5PN3n5Y

Let us know what you do. Whatever that may be, by all means, have fun! :):Beer:

Tom
I have to admit Tom, I think this man has nailed it!! I have similar challenges...... :Beer:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
They are telling it like it is---along with Jack Derby (Who hasn't chimed in lately---where you at Bro.)? & Mountain man--
Your Sigma DM-1 is suppose to be a copy of the D-18---it is not---if you sand that little black strip on the back you will see it is PAINTED ON--
pretending to have a 2 piece back---the neck is much to thick and badly shaped---hard to play--damn near impossible with 12s--I gave it away.---
A Martin is a Martin you will never be happy with anything else plus you will get your money back when you go to sell it-. The D-28 is my choice--had 2 and sold them-the D-35 I never was happy with it -Sold it.
There are some pretty nice copies out there---Like the Yamaha Moto talked about, my grandson has one I think it is a FG-375--actually has Brazilian Rosewood body, it is awesome---my next choice would be Lawsuit era Takamine's The F-360s is there copy of the D-28---the F-340s
is there copy of the D-18----They did a damn good job. The 360s-340s is not to be confused with the F-360---or F-340.---the "S" stands for "solid wood" the others are laminated---not the same--but all in all just get you a Martin---even if you have to put it on layaway. But I would sure play a few before throwin' down the $$$$ even though they are the same brand same build don't mean they are going to sound the same.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
But I would sure play a few before throwin' down the $$$$ even though they are the same brand same build don't mean they are going to sound the same.
I agree. They all don't play exactly the same and they all also don't sound exactly the same. The true value of playing the different models and sizes is to verify the guitar you really want. I maintain, once you decide on a 18 or a 28, you won't find a bad one. Unless it's broken in some way and that should be listed. Most likely also with the 15, 16, 17 or an OM will all be great too. I am not James Taylor playing acoustic guitar for a living so I am not a real purist about playing the one guitar before I buy it. I only played my HD28 before I bought it and all 4 of the others have the same Martin tone and play-ability I look for as far as I am concerned.

sloslunas

NM Blues
I loved my Martin. Living in the high desert, I had nothing but tuning issues with it. Never had a guitar that I had to tune every time I picked it up. Had to give that one away. Bought a Takamine and never have to re-tune that...amazing! I will say that I would definitely gravitate to a used acoustic guitar. I want something that has mellowed over the years...the longer the better. YMMV

Steve

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I loved my Martin. Living in the high desert, I had nothing but tuning issues with it. Never had a guitar that I had to tune every time I picked it up. Had to give that one away. Bought a Takamine and never have to re-tune that...amazing! I will say that I would definitely gravitate to a used acoustic guitar. I want something that has mellowed over the years...the longer the better. YMMV

Steve
I've never had that problem with any of my Martins. I've lived in the high desert for about 15 years and then hot and dry central valley of CA for another 15 years. As you know it also snows in the high desert. But then, none of these guitars are the same. I don't know how they would react in the UK where Telypaul lives?

sloslunas

NM Blues
I've never had that problem with any of my Martins. I've lived in the high desert for about 15 years and then hot and dry central valley of CA for another 15 years. As you know it also snows in the high desert. But then, none of these guitars are the same. I don't know how they would react in the UK where Telypaul lives?
Excellent, I am glad to hear about your positive experience with Martins...

Steve

Telypaul

Blues Newbie
Thanks for your input guys I will take a closer look at the D28 although it was on my wish list anyway. I’ve always had some sort of acoustic around always cheap and cheerful some outright dogs, best one probably a Framus 12 I got in the mid 60s but the Sigma has served me well over the past 10-15 years could be longer, time flies as you get older.

I’ve become a little disenchanted with my electric collection of late and leaning more towards folk and old country and of course blues.

I’m more of a strummer than finger picker and have recently started trying to develop my right hand. I have always said I would never buy an expensive guitar, but at this stage in my life I think one is called for. so as I am coming into a small inheritance shortly I thought a decent one is called for.

I’ll let you know how I go on although it may be a little while

Thanks again .

Paul.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I am with you buddy----at 73 you owe it to yourself---I am 74 and about to pull the trigger on a upgrade. The Martin I got now Coustom D Rosewood is close to the bottom of the line----but sounds better than some other HI$$$ guitars I have played---and has a slightly thinner neck which is easier to play. I should have just kept one of the others----oh well. Sigma Martin did make some nice guitars when in Japan but went south with the move to Korea----I had a Sigma Martin HD-28r (japan) for years as a beater--that thing sounded pretty darn good---My son still has it and plays it a lot.

jporzelius

Blues Junior
I'm a firm believer that you should get the kind of guitar you want. It's all about enjoyment and when you see the guitar you always wanted in your hands there is a little extra burst of joy. Tom mentioned Breedlove guitars above. I live in Bend, Oregon so I am familiar with them. I also just learned that Preston Thompson guitars are made in the little town of Sisters just next door to us. They sound pretty great too.

http://pktguitars.com/

https://breedlovemusic.com/

jim