Making it fit?

bpschumacher

Blues Newbie
Griff, you are a master at the guitar and thanks so much for all of your hard efforts building great instructional tutorials. One of the many challenges for me is when I transition from the examples to integrating the lick into the song. At the end of the day I will play the example as I "feel it fit" rather than counting. An example I give is an old recording I posted "I Believe", it was a rough draft at a slower tempo. Since that time I have polished it a bit but I am using the same structure.
My goals are to get BGIAB songs down to be gig playable. So my thought is this do I continue with the direction (path of least resistance) and achieve acceptable results and revisit later and work on the great timing and articulation you are teaching us or use the (first learned last forgotten) method and strive harder (more Hours) for better results. If I post the songs played as I did "I Believe" is that a disservice to the community forum?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Brian,
I haven't gone back to listen to your recording, but in the end it really doesn't matter. There is never a "disservice" to the Forum from someone posting their progress.
If posting a "work in progress" helps motivate you to come back later and improve on it, then I'd say that you are doing exactly what you should do to improve.

I just went over to the recording and from what I heard, it is mostly in time, if not exactly what Griff intended, so I'd say that there is no reason for you to not to play that at an open mic night. The more you play it at open mics nights, the better  and cleaner you will play it.

bpschumacher

Blues Newbie
Thanks Mike! I was hoping that's how the forum would feel. There is so much to learn from BGIB I could study it for many years to come. Its an awesome course!