Looks like Fender is spreading around the love

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I liked the use case he cited in that video, where you’re playing plugged in in front of a crowd who probably can’t tell it from a “real” acoustic anyway. To my uneducated ear the electric tones sounded great, but I don’t have preconceptions about what a Strat is “supposed” to sound like.

In my case the dream scenario is doing a song like Let It Be where you can launch into the solo and them back to acoustic style at the flick of a switch. This type of guitar is certainly not the end-all-be-all but it definitely has a niche, and one that’s buying lots of them. I’m certainly happy with my Tele.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
There is a Fender Acoustasonic Tele on Craigs list today for $250...I am sure it must be MIM or Squire I didn't read it. Edit: I just checked it out---it says Fender on the head stock and has a Fiber composite
back and sides- teal green spruce top---$265---I should buy that myself.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
There is a Fender Acoustasonic Tele on Craigs list today for $250...I am sure it must be MIM or Squire I didn't read it.

That is probably a Teleacoustic or a Stratacoustic and not an Acoustasonic (is this getting confusing yet???). Those models are relatively cheap Chinese made acoustic guitars with a wood top and a plastic body, similar to the bowl shaped back of an Ovation. The Fender bodies are a more conventional body style than the Ovations. For all intents and purposes they are an acoustic with a Piezo pickup under the bridge and the typical volume and bass-mid-treble controls set into the top of the body. It also includes a tuner. They sold new for about $250.

I think these have been discontinued. I have the Telecaster model. There really isn't any comparison between the Acoustasonic and the Tele/Strat-acoustic models.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The waters get even muddier than that: ten years ago Fender had an Acoustasonic Tele that sold for about a grand when new.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Fender_Acoustasonic_Telecaster_Electric_Guitar_Review

They’ve gotten some serious mileage out of that name (given there’s also an Acoustasonic amp).

Back around 2012, I was in the GC in West Palm Beach and they had an Acoustasonic Strat on their used rack. It was an odd instrument. I was in the gathering phase of guitardom and I almost bought it. In some ways, I wish I had, but at that point, I wasn't into weird guitars.

artyman

Fareham UK
I think it sounds Ok at least to my ears, the electric sound is how shall I say, adequate, a useful bit of kit for solo artist that needs something to provide some variety without carrying extra gear, but I think it is far to pricey for me to take a punt on one. At around $700 I might think about it.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I like the finish on it and the light weight.

The natural finish peeking out from the dark color is an interesting look.
If they put that on a thin line strat or tele I think I'd be more inclined to consider getting one.

As @MarkDyson said, I can see it as a great tool for certain situations.
Most of my playing is in my studio these days, so reaching for a different guitar is no issue., I'm more into having guitars that deliver a variety of tones vs have one that does it all.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
As I said in another thread, I like it. But having watched this guys video, I now 'really like it'.:)

Uh Oh!
Caught you looking:

tumblr_0a3b4f1fe7e405a9189581d08211425a_33e08ab6_400.gif

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I think they would look much better with a natural wood front and about half the price... Lately, I'm thinking I would love to get down to one or two guitars...

I want this look on the front;
2020-08-02_19-58-56.jpg

Stevie C

Blues Newbie
I think they would look much better with a natural wood front and about half the price... Lately, I'm thinking I would love to get down to one or two guitars...

I want this look on the front;
View attachment 12274

Well, they do one with a natural Sitka top, for a more traditional look. As for the price, they come out of the Fender Custom Shop, and all the electronics packed in there aren’t going to come cheaply.