Lesson 4 Rest Strokes?

dwparker

Bluesologist
On lesson 4 with the 2 note chords, does anyone use rest strokes? Or are rest strokes not used in blues?

jmin

Student Of The Blues
On lesson 4 with the 2 note chords, does anyone use rest strokes? Or are rest strokes not used in blues?
Hi dw! I am surprised that one of the many gurus around here haven’t chimed in.
I’m not really sure what you’re asking...what exactly is a “rest stroke?” I’m thinking a “rest” is total quiet - no strumming or stroke. But, if you’re talking about a “muted” strum, where you stroke the strings but don’t let the strings ring out, I would think that’s acceptable in Blues. In BGU Lesson 4, there are several rests indicated, and in this case, I don’t think the muted strumming would be used. But if you make it sound good, go for it!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
From the following link (boldface is my addition):

https://www.guitartricks.com/guitarglossary.php?term=Rest stroke

"A picking style where the finger or plectrum plucks a string and ends up resting directly on the adjacent string. The name rest stroke is used because the finger ends up resting on the adjacent string. This is usually (?) only really referred to in classical guitar."

From Google:

"It creates a distinctive and stronger sound on the note being played that way."

Last edited:

dwparker

Bluesologist
A picking style where the finger or plectrum plucks a string and ends up resting directly on the adjacent string. The name rest stroke is used because the finger ends up resting on the adjacent string. This is usually (?) only really referred to in classical guitar.
I find they also help me keep track of where my pick is in relation to the strings. Plus they are pretty much mandatory for playing chord melodies with a plectrum.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Aha, thanks for the info... not what I was thinking. I only remember Griff saying that he likes to use his fingers and pluck smaller chords to make them sound "pianistic." Funny how many different terms and techniques there are just to pluck a string!

dwparker

Bluesologist
Aha, thanks for the info... not what I was thinking. I only remember Griff saying that he likes to use his fingers and pluck smaller chords to make them sound "pianistic." Funny how many different terms and techniques there are just to pluck a string!

Agreed. On the one hand, what a fantastic, versatile instrument, on the other, I can honestly be overwhelmed with it all at times. I keep telling myself "baby steps, baby steps, just take baby steps..."

dwparker

Bluesologist

Agreed. On the one hand, what a fantastic, versatile instrument, on the other, I can honestly be overwhelmed with it all at times. I keep telling myself "baby steps, baby steps, just take baby steps..."