Lesson 22 Soloing # 3

DanielJr

Blues Newbie
Hi Griff:

I feel good that for Lesson # 21 The Swing of the Blues I was able to do the count for both Box 1 & 2. It did take me several iterations.

On Lesson 22 Soloing # 3. After explaining all the licks, you go through and do a count of the Soloing; however, you are going fast for me. It would be easier for me if I could see the count written down and study it. After studying it, the count would be lot easier for me to practice on the coming Soloing. Do you have the count written down for soloing #3 or has someone written it down that would like to share it?

Regards,

Daniel Jr

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If you are an AAP member you can find what you're looking for in the Theory Archives, 12-13-18. :)

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
AAP member or not it's GREAT practice to try to do it yourself then ask someone to check it.
I suspect that you can do most of it, but may have questions on one or two notes.
Let us know where you are getting stuck and we can help.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'm assuming you, and others, haven't been able to do it yourself, which was one of the reasons Griff went through it in an AAP live session.

If you're new to counting, having quarters, eighths, sixteenths and 8th note triplets all in the same song can be, understandably, quite the challenge. ;)

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Do you have the count written down for soloing #3 or has someone written it down that would like to share it?
I promise I'm not trying to be snarky, but wouldn't it be better if you worked on writing it out? Just print those pages from the pdf, and work your way through it. Mark that sheet all up. Then post it here and any number of us can tell you if you got it right and what you might need to correct. You may have to struggle through it, but I promise it'll be worth it. Also, it will bring your counting skills up a level. Truth is, even the guys that have been around BGU for a long time still print it out and write it out when they come to something they're not sure about or think might be tricky. Write out what you know, and we can fill in some gaps for you if needed.

Not trying to gatekeep you or tell you that any of us wouldn't do it for you (there are a LOT of great and giving folks here). I'm just saying that, if you're at Solo 3 in BGU, you should have an idea of those note values to at least get started, and it will help solidfy the solo and make you a better overall player if you take the time to struggle through it rather than just play what somebody tells you to play.

Tangled_up_in_Blue

Blues Newbie
Hi Daniel Jr
I am not as far advanced as you - I am just working through the more advanced rhythm lessons. The only way I could get through the Jazzy Blues lesson was to do what others are recommending here re Solo 3. Print it out and write out the count above the notes. It worked for me. You can then get the count worked out and internalized. Then, after countless play throughs, it should come to pass that you rely less on the count and play in time with the backing. I'm still struggling with getting all the chord changes clean but I have the timing sorted, and this only came from writing out the count myself. Time consuming but gratifying. I'm hoping it will help when I get to the dizzy heights of solo 3.
Cheers

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I am also in the camp of try to do it yourself first, then ask for help.

Do you get the "swing eighths"? In that notation, two eighths will still be played with a swing/triiplet feel.

I like to start by putting in note boundaries as vertical lines. Then check that each note has the right number of subdivisions.

here's an example, simpler, not swing, but gives the idea