Lesson 10.2 and 11.5 On Hold

Annie

On my way
I have to put these shuffles away for a while and move on to lesson 12. It is not that I don't try hard enough. I just can't play it without a lot of extra unwanted noise. I hope I will learn something that will help sometime in the future, but for now it just isn't working out at all.:(

Good for you Annie, deciding to move on. We do this for fun.
Your methods of muting whether with right hand or left, palm thumb or fingers, will develop more.
When you come back to practice these lessons months from now you might progress differently.
I encourage you to take what you can from them, record them for future reference, and keep moving through the course.

There is much to learn in later lessons that is good, and you will find satisfaction when you listen to these a couple of years from now and hear how far you've come.

johnc

systematic
Yeah Annie, I have learn't that guitar playing is as much if not more about minimising the sound you don't want. I think that it is something that will develop by itself to a fair degree in good time just with playing and practice. The main thing is that you are aware of it..

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Annie, if the 10.2 and 11.5 (2.0?) are the SRV style shuffle playing ("Pride and Joy") with bass notes... You're right to learn it as best you can and move on. It's one of those techniques that just takes lots of practice to get sounding the way you want. There are two lessons from BGU I really struggled with - 10 (SRV shuffle) and the "gospel blues" (14?). I play both of those almost daily for a quick 5 minute practice/warm-up...they do get better!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Yes. Sure enough that Pride and Joy SRV stuff is difficult to play it without all the noise. Playing it fast like Griff recommends is better but is still tough. I've not got it down. On electric playing without OD is mo betta but you still have the amplification and is still something to contend with. I know really good Blues bands that will not play SRV. o_O

Last edited:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
For lesson 10 I also said this is as good as gets for now, and moved on. At the time, 11.5 didn't exist, so I need to get back to it. 12, 13 and 14 are also challenging, but rewarding.

It's also not forbidden to go work on some solos, or something like 52 Rhythm Fills.

Annie

On my way
For lesson 10 I also said this is as good as gets for now, and moved on. At the time, 11.5 didn't exist, so I need to get back to it. 12, 13 and 14 are also challenging, but rewarding.

It's also not forbidden to go work on some solos, or something like 52 Rhythm Fills.

Sounds like a good idea David I have been wanting to dive into both those. I just usually go through things as they come. I guess I am afraid I will wander off too far.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I wandered off into 52 Rhythm Fills for a while. I enjoyed expanding the "rhythm guitar" vocabulary. Now working on BGU 14 Gospel blues and solo 1 at the same time. Whatever you do keep posting recordings. :thumbup: