King of Tone Wait Time

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
KOT is based on two Marshall Bluesbreaker pedals, the Dude is based on the Dumble Special Overdrive Amp as is the Hermida ZenDrive and the Wampler Euphoria

Cool! I really like my new Blues Driver, which is also supposed to be based on the Blues Breaker. I don't know one style of pedal from another, not by ear, but I liked what I heard in Griff's videos and am happy I got mine. I bought a used Dude a while back, because an instructor at Guitar Camp used one and I really liked the sound, but I think I like the BD better for how I play.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Cool! I really like my new Blues Driver, which is also supposed to be based on the Blues Breaker. I don't know one style of pedal from another, not by ear, but I liked what I heard in Griff's videos and am happy I got mine. I bought a used Dude a while back, because an instructor at Guitar Camp used one and I really liked the sound, but I think I like the BD better for how I play.
Blues Driver to my understanding is an original circuit not a Blues Breaker clone, KOT is BluesBreaker knockoff

Reactions: dvs

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Blues Driver to my understanding is an original circuit not a Blues Breaker clone, KOT is BluesBreaker knockoff

Okay. It's possible I've mis-remembered from the firehose of stuff I've been reading/watching, or the source I'm remembering mis-classified it.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
just to point out the KofT is nothing like an origional blues breaker circuit,,its an internet myth

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
taken from anolog mans site
"A good friend of ours suggested the old Marshall Blues breaker pedal might work for Jim, so we found one on ebay and I had it sent to Jim who said it was pretty good. So I got another one on ebay and modified it quickly with some improved parts for a baseline test. I brought it up to Woodstock and Jim's sounded better, I was surprised! Then I opened Jim's up and saw that it was already modified heavily!! I thought he was playing a joke on me, but he just laughed, someone sold it on eBay like that. I tried those mods but didn't like them much, so we totally redid the circuit with different diodes, chips, capacitors, treble trimpots, modes- pretty much everything was changed. And of course the KOT is two pedal circuits in one box. So our KOT pedal is not much like, and does not sound much like a BB pedal anymore. Especially the clean or distortion modes are different, and the higher gain option changes it even more, making it more useful throughout the DRIVE knob range. We used the higher gain KOT circuit as the base for the Prince Of Tone which came out in 2012, and improved the DISTORTION mode also on the POT."

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Speaking of Joe Bonamassa, Am I the only one that finds him to be a technical master of his trade but lacks soul? Don’t get me wrong, the guy is a virtuoso but I don’t “FEEL” him like I do with say like, Johnny Winter, Smokin Joe Kubek, Jimmy Vaughn, Melvin Taylor, etc.
I’m sure I opened a can of worms with that comment.

Joe B. is a rocker at heart and a "modal explorer" as well. I've never really thought of him as a Blues player but more of a Blues Fusion player.
He somehow manages to adapt a variety of modal touches like Lydian and Phrygian to songs with blues-like structures but with a solid rock groove.

He tips his hat to many influences such as in the live version of "Django Just Got Paid" where his intro is very Jeff Beck-like but he also acknowledges Frampton and Page (among others).

I agree that his Blues are not as soulful as traditional Blues but he's definitely in a class by himself -- sort of like Rush was to the rest of the prog-rock world.

Great player though! :Beer:

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
FYI spots on the Analogman waiting list are transferable should anyone decide they don’t want the KOT pedal after waiting so long. I was on the waiting list years ago when Jackderby52 was notified that his KOT was available, and Jack offered it up here as he didn’t want the pedal anymore, I was able to take his spot in line and buy the pedal. I stayed on the waiting list, and when my name came up months later I was able to give my spot to a buddy.

Wow, good memory... Completely forgot about that... I did end up with 2 more somehow, One I kept and one went to Griff...

P.S. I don't have much exposure to pedals nor do I use em much so take this with a grain of salt.. The KOT is the best pedal I have come across and it's probably the only one I would keep when I start purging... It's very mild from an overdrive perspective which is why I liked it... But everybody has their own preferred flavor...

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
I used to have a King Of Blues pedal, and now own a King of Tone. IMHO, there is no comparison. The KoT has that name for a reason. It is my favorite OD pedal and sounds great into a Nace. I am pretty much 100% digital now, but my KoT is one of the few pedals, I can't see myself ever getting rid of.
If you are interested, I suggest you try and get a Prince of Tone. Much shorter waitlist and almost the exact same as 1/2 a side of a KoT.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I used to have a King Of Blues pedal, and now own a King of Tone. IMHO, there is no comparison. The KoT has that name for a reason. It is my favorite OD pedal and sounds great into a Nace. I am pretty much 100% digital now, but my KoT is one of the few pedals, I can't see myself ever getting rid of.
If you are interested, I suggest you try and get a Prince of Tone. Much shorter waitlist and almost the exact same as 1/2 a side of a KoT.
I think it's the high gain side, although that's still not really high gain

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Not sure it is the same. The KOT is meant to be more of a Blues Breaker varient. And also it is a double pedal. So 2 Dude's would be £400 which is more than a KOT.
cheers
Al
No, a Dude is not like a Blues Breaker, nor is it like a KOT ... it is what I prefer over both. I have five ODs on my board ... no need for ANY double pedals. I would MUCH rather have five DIFFERENT flavors than two of the same. :)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
i just went on the King of Tone website and the get on the waiting list directed me to a blank screen. But then I looked at the rest of the website and remember why I didn't get on the wait list before. It's not clear if these are stock pedals or if each order is custom made to order and select the options you want? How would I know which options to pick? I've never played through this pedal before. For me like many others it's just a quest for the holly grail - the quest for tone. Any info from you guy that have got on the list and/or have actually got theirs? :Beer:

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Every pedal is built to order. The website should give you an idea of options and their cost. When your name comes up, you will get an email and link to order. It's then when you enter what options you want and pay for it.

The main options are things like, how do you want it configured. LIke both sides low gain, high gain, or one of each. You can also get it with extra output jacks so you can literally put each side into their own loop (if you have that kind of setup). Lastly, you can choose what color you want, based on what he has available.

For example, mine is purple. I have a low gain side and a high gain side, and I don't have the extra jacks.

SHarpo

Blues Newbie
Several years ago I just happened to be at the right place at the right time when I was doing some web surfing on eBay. A King of Tone peddle got posted for sale by a guy that had waited in line for over a year.... and when he received it he didn't like it....go figure. Anyway he sold it for what he payed for it.... unbelievable!

91sN9Iy.jpg

aleclee

Tribe of One
The two questions you'd expect from me:
  1. How good a job did Line 6 do in modeling the pedal?
  2. Are you going to share a capture of the pedal when you get your Quad Cortex?

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Several years ago I just happened to be at the right place at the right time when I was doing some web surfing on eBay. A King of Tone peddle got posted for sale by a guy that had waited in line for over a year.... and when he received it he didn't like it....go figure. Anyway he sold it for what he payed for it.... unbelievable!

91sN9Iy.jpg
Has your dog pee'd on it yet? :ROFLMAO:

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
This came up in the 1/14/21 AAP session. I got on the wait list on 3/12/18. At that time, they were shipping around 10/16. So I thought “OK, a year and a half or two”. So now in 2 months, it will be 3 years and they are now shipping orders from 7/20/17. So maybe another year and a half best case. It’s no problem. I have some of Mike’s other pedals including the Prince of Tone which I like a lot. That said, since being around BGU AAP, I acquired a Boss Blues Driver for a back up amp. Played last night and it was fantastic. Anyway, I will buy the KOT when I get the email.

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
This came up in the 1/14/21 AAP session. I got on the wait list on 3/12/18. At that time, they were shipping around 10/16. So I thought “OK, a year and a half or two”. So now in 2 months, it will be 3 years and they are now shipping orders from 7/20/17. So maybe another year and a half best case. It’s no problem. I have some of Mike’s other pedals including the Prince of Tone which I like a lot. That said, since being around BGU AAP, I acquired a Boss Blues Driver for a back up amp. Played last night and it was fantastic. Anyway, I will buy the KOT when I get the email.
5 year 2 months after getting on the wait list, I received my King of Tone. I put it in-line into my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I get to play a lot though a 1965 Deluxe and the KoT moved the TMDR closer to the 1965. I like it more than any other pedal I have. So far. I got on the list for a 2nd KoT. Will report back ~2028. On both.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
5 year 2 months after getting on the wait list, I received my King of Tone. I put it in-line into my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. I get to play a lot though a 1965 Deluxe and the KoT moved the TMDR closer to the 1965. I like it more than any other pedal I have. So far. I got on the list for a 2nd KoT. Will report back ~2028. On both.
That is some commitment to a wait