King of Tone Wait Time

JohnDX

Blues Newbie
This came up in the 1/14/21 AAP session. I got on the wait list on 3/12/18. At that time, they were shipping around 10/16. So I thought “OK, a year and a half or two”. So now in 2 months, it will be 3 years and they are now shipping orders from 7/20/17. So maybe another year and a half best case. It’s no problem. I have some of Mike’s other pedals including the Prince of Tone which I like a lot. That said, since being around BGU AAP, I acquired a Boss Blues Driver for a back up amp. Played last night and it was fantastic. Anyway, I will buy the KOT when I get the email.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
"Fri, 10 Nov 2017" was my date. I think I am about 3-4 months off. Not convinced I will take it. With import tax and shipping it is quite an expensive pedal. As I am using digital amp sims anyway I am tempted with an HX stomp that wouldn't be that much more and has a Prince of Tone simulation in it. On the other hand I could try it and if it doesn't work for me get my money (and probably a little more) back and then get the HX stomp.

cheers

Al.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
FYI spots on the Analogman waiting list are transferable should anyone decide they don’t want the KOT pedal after waiting so long. I was on the waiting list years ago when Jackderby52 was notified that his KOT was available, and Jack offered it up here as he didn’t want the pedal anymore, I was able to take his spot in line and buy the pedal. I stayed on the waiting list, and when my name came up months later I was able to give my spot to a buddy.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
Not sure it is the same. The KOT is meant to be more of a Blues Breaker varient. And also it is a double pedal. So 2 Dude's would be £400 which is more than a KOT.

cheers

Al.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
7/20/17? I guess they're not updating that date very often. I got on the list more our of curiosity than anything back 2 or 3 months ago. I think that was the date they had up then because I remember thinking it was a 3 1/2 year wait. If that wasn't the date, I'm sure that it was still July 2017, so they haven't made much progress through the list (or maybe they have and the list from around that time is just really big). If they're still making them whenever my name comes up, I'll probably go ahead and buy it just to try it out.

About a month ago, I picked up a Tone City King of Blues. I read in a couple of places that the King of Blues : King of Tone :: Soul Food : Klon. If that's the case, I'll probably end up keeping the KoT if I ever get it. Granted it's a KTR and not a Centaur, but my Klon really does sound better than my Soul Food (the debate is whether it sounds $250 better which is completely subjective). The King of Blues, to my ear, isn't a stand-out pedal, but it it's a nice sounding OD pedal. So I would anticipate that the fairy dust in the King of Tone would propel it to sound better than the King of Blues.

On a separate note, I picked up a couple of other ODs at the same time I got the King of Blues, including the Tone City Durple. I'm currently giving the Durple a test on the board, but, so far, I like the King of Blues better than either of the others. Out of the three, it's easily the keeper.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
So where is it in relation to a good old TS-808 Tube Screamer?
From the KOT page
"The KoT is one of the few overdrive pedals available that is NOT based on a Tube Screamer circuit. In OD mode, it has a little less drive available than a Tube Screamer. It has quite a bit more volume available than a Tube Screamer and The TONE control has a similar range. The KoT has less compression than a tube screamer, and also does not boost the mids or cut the low end as much. It does not have a large amount of distortion."

cheers

Al.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
7/20/17? I guess they're not updating that date very often.
The page also states "Sorry we have been getting heavy orders from people who reached the top of the list years ago and are finally ordering now, so have not been able to send out a new email list recently." I don't know what happened in the middle of 17 to cause a big surge in orders. Maybe Bonnamassa started using it or something. Hopefully the demand dropped off a bit after that and they will catchup. I would assume as the wait gets longer less people will join. Or maybe people just add their name to the list speculatively as they won't have to pony up the cash for years.

cheers

Al.

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Well apparently my ears aren’t as sonically well versed as some, I’ll just be content with my super fat stereo set up, dark and warm at the same time with just the perfect amount of chime. As the great BB King says, “I pick up Lucille and it brings out those funny sounds that sound good to me.”

Reactions: EJG

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
The page also states "Sorry we have been getting heavy orders from people who reached the top of the list years ago and are finally ordering now, so have not been able to send out a new email list recently." I don't know what happened in the middle of 17 to cause a big surge in orders. Maybe Bonnamassa started using it or something. Hopefully the demand dropped off a bit after that and they will catchup. I would assume as the wait gets longer less people will join. Or maybe people just add their name to the list speculatively as they won't have to pony up the cash for years.

cheers

Al.
Speaking of Joe Bonamassa, Am I the only one that finds him to be a technical master of his trade but lacks soul? Don’t get me wrong, the guy is a virtuoso but I don’t “FEEL” him like I do with say like, Johnny Winter, Smokin Joe Kubek, Jimmy Vaughn, Melvin Taylor, etc.
I’m sure I opened a can of worms with that comment.

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I thought that with his early stuff. The more recent stuff I have heard him play he seems to have learnt not to play so many notes. So IMHO sounds more soulfull. Still not a massive fan so I assume some who are will come along and feed on your worms.

cheers

Al.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I'm living in the town where he grew up, so probably should be expected to be more "loyal" to the Home Town Boy Done Good, but I feel ya on this. I've never felt pulled in by his performances. By comparison a semi-local blues player with some small amount of regional fame, Jimmy Wolf, really affects me and I can (or used to be able to) see him locally for the cost of some wings and a few beers.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Or maybe people just add their name to the list speculatively as they won't have to pony up the cash for years.
Admittedly, that's kind of what I did. I hit Reverb, and they were running over $600 a pedal, so I thought I'd pick one up and, if I didn't like it, I could add 10 or 15% to it for my troubles, and then I imagine I could flip it pretty quickly. But, if it lives up to even half the hype, I see myself keeping it. Now I've just gotta wait til I've forgotten about it and maybe my name will come up on the list. lol

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier

cheers

Al.
I think a lot guys sell their spots

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Not sure it is the same. The KOT is meant to be more of a Blues Breaker varient. And also it is a double pedal. So 2 Dude's would be £400 which is more than a KOT.

cheers

Al.
KOT is based on two Marshall Bluesbreaker pedals, the Dude is based on the Dumble Special Overdrive Amp as is the Hermida ZenDrive and the Wampler Euphoria