Kind of a weird gig...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
So I played this gig at the VFW in Canaan Ct Thursday on bass. I had met this guy at the Infinity Hall open mic and played bass while he did Whiter Shade of Pale on keys. We exchanged numbers and he said he would like me to play a gig the next week. We got together the next Monday and ran through about 20 songs that he had charted with lyrics and chords.

At the rehearsal I was a bit leery of the drummer, who didn't seem very good. I never connected to locking into his kick drum because there was nothing to lock to. The other guys were OK- a keyboard player, vocalist and the original contact playing acoustic rhythm and pretty much running the show.

So I show up on Thursday at the VFW. Professional sound man setting up PA and monitors. Cool. Electric guitar player shows up that had also rehearsed with them separately. OK we'll see (he turned out to be quite competant.)

So we play our list of 20+ songs and took a break for some free food somewhere in the middle. The crowd seemed fairly appreciative.

The drummer has no "feel" for the groove of a song. He has two volumes-loud and louder. He's playing fills all the time and doesn't land on the beat after. It's actualy painful to me, trying to support the rest of the band. I might work with these guys again, but not with that drummer.

Oh and his kit sounded like crap, even the sound guy commented

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
No matter how fantastic a house you plan on building if it's not built on a good foundation it is bound to falter.

And now you, the new guy, have to deal with the politics of the situation.

Good luck David, hope it works out.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
So I played this gig at the VFW in Canaan Ct Thursday on bass. I had met this guy at the Infinity Hall open mic and played bass while he did Whiter Shade of Pale on keys. We exchanged numbers and he said he would like me to play a gig the next week. We got together the next Monday and ran through about 20 songs that he had charted with lyrics and chords.

At the rehearsal I was a bit leery of the drummer, who didn't seem very good. I never connected to locking into his kick drum because there was nothing to lock to. The other guys were OK- a keyboard player, vocalist and the original contact playing acoustic rhythm and pretty much running the show.

So I show up on Thursday at the VFW. Professional sound man setting up PA and monitors. Cool. Electric guitar player shows up that had also rehearsed with them separately. OK we'll see (he turned out to be quite competant.)

So we play our list of 20+ songs and took a break for some free food somewhere in the middle. The crowd seemed fairly appreciative.

The drummer has no "feel" for the groove of a song. He has two volumes-loud and louder. He's playing fills all the time and doesn't land on the beat after. It's actualy painful to me, trying to support the rest of the band. I might work with these guys again, but not with that drummer.

Oh and his kit sounded like crap, even the sound guy commented

I hope he isn't a band members brother/cousin/lover...

Rad

Blues Newbie
You connected with this group through the keyboard player, politely sound him out and see what the back story is.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Brad Carlton just said in a TrueFire course on groove said " I don't care if it's your friend or your brother if he can't groove he's got to go!"

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Also this was just "for fun" and to benefit the VFW. At the end of the night I got $30 "gas money".

For non-US persons, VFW= Veterans of Foreign Wars

david moon

Attempting the Blues
You connected with this group through the keyboard player, politely sound him out and see what the back story is.
I haven't talked to him since the gig. But I need to. It wasn't like I was joining the band. They were just happy to have a bass for this gig.

Reactions: Rad

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
something else to consider, he may be trying hard and they let him in to develop, I have done that before.............but yeah, if you are a beginner drummer, leave the fills out of it and be a metronome

david moon

Attempting the Blues
No matter how fantastic a house you plan on building if it's not built on a good foundation it is bound to falter.

And now you, the new guy, have to deal with the politics of the situation.

Good luck David, hope it works out.
No commitment, just the one gig. It will work out fine. I can walk away (renee). That was on the song list. I had no problem with the material or the other players, just the drummer.

sloslunas

NM Blues
Wow!! I learn something new every day...

Note to self: Be cautious of those that you INVITE over so you that can play some music, and have a good time. You do not want to get thrown under the bus by a GUEST who finds your playing below their standards. Apologize to all that you have offended, throughout the years, to atone for the grief that you may have caused them.

Steve

steve o

Student Of The Blues

Note to self: Be cautious of those that you INVITE over so you that can play some music, and have a good time. You do not want to get thrown under the bus by a GUEST who finds your playing below their standards. Apologize to all that you have offended, throughout the years, to atone for the grief that you may have caused them.

Steve

Well my Brother, you don’t ever have to worry about me. If my lovely bride and I ever make it to your compound, my guitar playing is below your level so I could never complain about your playing. Hopefully mine won’t be so bad that you kick me out!:D

P.S. I will not have a FPS either:ROFLMAO:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
highjacked thread!

Steve
I'm not sure what your point is. I went into a totally unknown situation based on a brief contact with a guy at a open mic. I went to a reheasal. Tried to learn the songs. Played the gig for basically free. And decided afterwards that the drummer was a joke and I will never play with him again. And yes his playing was below my standards.

If you want to be cautious about inviting me over so be it.

david moon

Attempting the Blues

Steve
where was your last gig?