Just Cracked Open This Course

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
After having downloaded "52 Rhythm Fills & Variations" months ago, I decided today to finally open it up and see what's what.

Boy have I got some learnin' to do! :confused:

I've only gone through Section 1 and barely stepped into Section 2 and though I find that much of what's there is very familiar, much of it is nowhere as easy to play as I may have thought.

Some of it is very simple and intuitive (and even some things I'm already playing on my own), but other riffs -- though simple in structure -- are surprisingly difficult to get under my fingers and will definitely take some time to learn. I like Griff's approach though in that he doesn't "insist" that something be played a certain way but rather that he wants to point out the essence of something -- it's vibe and groove and how understanding THAT is more important than exactly copying every note he plays.

I also love the fact that he demonstrates variations of licks and riffs to show that there's more than one way to play something and still have it sound good (which I believe is going to work well for me and my "non-rock star" hands) :(

As stated, I just cracked this open today and later on I tried to play some of the things I "learned" with various backing tracks I have and though most of it sounded like crap, some of it clicked and I get where Griff is going and I think that over time -- as I become more comfortable with all of this -- I will find what works for me.

It is somewhat sad to realize just how much I DON'T know but at the same time it's exciting to think of how much my playing can improve if I stick with this. Of course "sticking with it" is the tricky part, but I think the payoff will be worth enough to keep trying.

This is gonna be fun! :Beer:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I received this course in 2015, and started in the day it was received. It is a fun course, and I remember I enjoyed it very much. It gives you an introduction to many different forms of the Blues. Enjoy! :)

Tom

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
I’ve had it on my desk for a few weeks. I just have to get it cracked open:whistle:.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Similar to the 12 bar form in Example 1.20 for E.

Change the chords to A7, D7 and E7 for A.