January 2022 Challenge - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young +

Caboburt

No Bad Days
I finally found the time to throw some vocals on this track. For once...for better or worse...it's all me. Spent the first week trying to figure out how to put down the drum track. I learned a lot but this first attempt leaves quite a bit to be desired. My son-in-law was over this past weekend and showed me a much easier way to do the drum track, but I'm not about to go back and redo it all. I have been avoiding the vocals until today but finally had the house to my self, took a nice big shot of Gentleman Jack and went for it. Hopefully it is passable. I really considered leaving out the "Deeee-Vorrrr-Ceeee" part but just said screw it and left it in.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - "Welfare Mothers"

Awesome job TZ…and you can keep on singin…that was great.
Also you nailed Neils guitar tone. Well done.

Elwood

Blues
I have been distracted, you look away for a bit and BOOM, here comes Steve with two more fine choices done well, TZ taking the big leap - good job TZ, and Braylon with the killer copy of the Hollies hit, another amazing job Braylon!!! Great job all!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Artyman, great fun job as usual. I envy your steady supply of gigs, must be nice to play for people these days. Keep up the good work.

artyman

Fareham UK
Thanks for the kind comments, we haven't as many gigs as usual because of Covid, hopefully things will improve soon. The audience we had was small but enthusiastic, and we were well received, I was just glad my voice held out after the cough that Covid gave me.

Elwood

Blues
So many awesome entries. I had to get some self-pep talk going to even jump in this month. All you guys are really making this fun! I really love the Gram Nash tunes!!!
I had a few that I was going to try but they got dibs, for good cause.
I submit this as qualified by some folklore reference suggesting that Joni Mitchell wrote the tune this is supposed to be in response to Neil Young's blues at "getting older", something we thought we knew something about back then.
My new toys are in full display. Pro Logic, with the Sdrum and the ToneDeq. I forgot to arm the necessary phantom voltage so I miss my guitar mic in the mix. Tried to make it up with EQ. Nothing fancy, first time in this situation. Loving it for sure.
First try on the new stuff, here ya go.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9b88clg8uzrgn3k/The Circle Game.mp3?dl=0

Kinda silly, hope it's OK.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Right off the bat, that guitar sounds awesome!
Vocals smooth and mellow!
Now the Sdrum kicking in!!

Everything sounds good to me.:)
Nicely done:thumbup:

I think you've assembled a great rig to match your talent!

(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
@Elwood I like your guitar arrangement, and the sound of the guitar is excellent. Vocals are nice and smooth - a fine job working Joni's song into your range, it sounds great! :thumbup::thumbup:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Excellent guitaring Elwood, and a great first attempt in LogicPro. Everything is clear as a bell. I do like the timbre of your voice. Drummer definitely needs to look at some of Griff's counting videos though.:ROFLMAO: Well done.(y)(y)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My new toys are in full display. Pro Logic, with the Sdrum and the ToneDeq. I forgot to arm the necessary phantom voltage so I miss my guitar mic in the mix. Tried to make it up with EQ. Nothing fancy, first time in this situation. Loving it for sure.
First try on the new stuff, here ya go.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9b88clg8uzrgn3k/The Circle Game.mp3?dl=0

Kinda silly, hope it's OK.
Beautiful guitar work. Vocals fit so well.
Fire the drummer.

Elwood

Blues
Fire the drummer.
Mr. No Sticks is going to develop a complex guys...
OGC.b0bd8b0e14cafdf4b4a25f24c12f570b

but the show must go on! Here is a copy with an empty (virtual) drum throne.

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/rasg1upgfg8ab52/The Circle Game--.mp3?dl=0

Absolutely laughing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: at the feedback!!! I had public and private encouragement to do something, anything, but allow the SDRUM to run wild on my tune. Ha!!! Thanks again!!!

All I did is mute the drum tracks and the idle mic track and drop the guitar just a tad. This ended up being one track of vocal and two from the ToneDeq. I realize it is going to be hard for you to share my fondness for the SDRUM at this point - but - the guitar is essentially an electric on the tune. Very little bleed from the guitar into the Sennheiser. My point being that I am very happy with the ToneDeq. When you hear me succeed at recording it together with the mic (I have to push the button) you, hopefully, can hear what I do. The guitars just sound like 3D Fancy Color or something, really good, to my ear.

Last edited:

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
Mr. No Sticks is going to develop a complex guys...
OGC.b0bd8b0e14cafdf4b4a25f24c12f570b

Absolutely laughing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: at the feedback!!! I had public and private encouragement to do something, anything, but allow the SDRUM to run wild on my tune. Ha!!! Thanks again!!!

All I did is mute the drum tracks and the idle mic track and drop the guitar just a tad. This ended up being one track of vocal and two from the ToneDeq. I realize it is going to be hard for you to share my fondness for the SDRUM at this point - but - the guitar is essentially an electric on the tune. Very little bleed from the guitar into the Sennheiser. My point being that I am very happy with the ToneDeq. When you hear me succeed at recording it together with the mic (I have to push the button) you, hopefully, can hear what I do. The guitars just sound like 3D Fancy Color or something, really good, to my ear.
Excellent! This version reveals everything I was hearing around and behind the drums, and it sounds like I was hoping it would. It's totally great! :thumbup::thumbup:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
So glad you gave Mr. No Sticks the sack! Now, nothing gets in the way of enjoying this fine performance!