Jamming by yourself ....

jgriff

Blues Newbie
I am confused by Griff's counting. I must be missing something. 1 and da 2 and da .... that seems like 3/4 time. Can you shed some light?

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I am confused by Griff's counting. I must be missing something. 1 and da 2 and da .... that seems like 3/4 time. Can you shed some light?

It's shuffle time; a triplet feel. Still four beats per measure but each beat is divided into thirds.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
3/4 time is grouping 3 beats per measure. 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3, etc. = 3 Counts per measure

Triplets in 4/4 time divide each 4 beats into thirds. 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a. = 12 Counts per measure

In both cases you have groups of 3. However......

3/4 time is a grouping of 3 beats. 1 2 3 = 1 Count per beat = 3 Counts/measure

A triplet is a grouping of 3 subdivisions of one beat. 1 and a = 3 Counts per beat x 4 = 12 Counts/measure.

It's counting groups of beats (3/4 time) vs. counting subdivisions of beats (triplets).

Time Signatures (3/4,4/4,etc) tell you how many beats to count in a measure, but nothing about how to subdivide those beats (or even if you will need to).

8th notes (1 and = 2 counts), triplets (1 and a = 3 counts) and 16th notes (1 e and a = 4 counts) are subdivisions of a beat.

Numbers are used for beats, "syllables" (e, and, a) are used for subdivisions of a beat.

**The number of beats/measure x the number of counts/beat = the number of counts/measure.**

Last edited: