It takes a lot to laugh, it takes a train to cry - Dylan

Elwood

Blues
always just said "mailtrain".

Don't mean to wear ya'll out but, well, here ya go. This one might slide the moniker meter closer to "blues" or not. I plead course material inclusion due to the use of 7th inversions (stumbling) an intro (supposed to be SRV flavored if you can play it) that was so hard to learn I repeated it for a "solo interlude" (that means I was out of guitar playing) and some standard turnarounds, lots of stuff from here - there.

I believe I am starting to get the mini to sound more like it really sounds (@CaptainMoto :thumbup:), This is direct input to the mackie interface, with some bleed from the voice mic. As you may deduce from the confusion between my playing and singing, they were done simultaneously (man that makes it sound fancy, yeah!) Django is not patient with complex processes.

Ugly parts and all...you may find some of these comforting :Beer::Beer::Beer: as you prepare to listen :whistle:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ernl0l07ut4vp38/mailtrain .mp3?dl=0

Hey! I know I will be busy, so before the board fills all up with Turkey cheer, Happy Thanksgiving all of you! You're on my list this year for sure!!!

(y)

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Sounds good to me.--I like the guitar picking--a little string squeak in couple places but we all do it from time to time so no big deal, I hear it on recordings by the stars----but other than that sounds good. Is that the mini-Taylor? Later:thumbup:

Elwood

Blues
Yup, a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa is the formal name I believe. (not in my avitar, that's my wife's childhood uke). Squeaking, damn I'm crushed! (just kiddin, big time :)) I am not even in the recording universe where I would even think of trying to address string squeaking. I'm so happy it is starting to sound like my guitar, and well, my guitar squeaks. That little Taylor has been the most fun $750 I have spent on a guitar. I love 'em all but that little guy is the one to go to on the moment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/035wkx6jr1mjg4s/Martin and mini.jpg?dl=0

there is a link with the MMV and mini. mini is also skinny, and light, helps with comfort. I just don't like it for actual work, drills and such. The scale is short and too easy down low and the standard 14 fret access without a cutaway requires more work than I like to do to play up high, spoiled. For just playing, early in the dark with hot coffee, or with a dog or a beer, or a dog and a beer.... fine, fine.:thumbup: (I tried to post a pic but it came out sideways, I'm good at that too). The 314ce is my workhorse for acoustic.

edit: I just was thinking...BCB, now there is a player! He can listen to all that mess and heard the strings squeaking! So cool. Only a player could ignore the vocal, the pinky going out foraging for it's own notes, etc. etc. etc. Squeaking!!!! Yes (y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Now!
That's another great rendition(y)
Sounds good.
I like the guitar tone you captured there and the vocals are nice and mellow.

String squeaks.....I have a problem with that from time to time but, I think a little squeak gives it an authentic vibe.
Some folks have suggested some magic string juice you can apply to minimize that.
There are plugins that can help remove some of that, like izotope RX, however you need to apply those with care.

Elwood

Blues
Thanks Moto!
The mini came out nice tone wise (to my ear, not getting all braggy), esp. because this was bare fingers. I'm getting more used to picks, mainly thumbpick, but not fluid yet at all. For the recording to have some clarity without picks, that is an improvement for me.
Voice, I seem to like tunes that have range. mine is limited. This time I wanted to not break up on high notes. No problem, I'm gettin nice feedback from the local whale pod. Somewhere in the middle, someday right?
I know there are ways to address squeaking, if I had a really bad fit with it I might look into remedies, but I like the "vibe" thing I guess.

WimVD

Every day I have the blues
I like that intro and solo interlude, Elwood.
The string squeaking on my acoustic got a bit reduced by replacing the Martin Retro strings by Elixirs.

Elwood

Blues
My computer access has been spotty, busy time. Sorry for slow response.

@WimVD ,@Many Moons ,@BigMike , appreciate it guys. I wanted to try to use that intro thing and didn't have a "real" blues in E pop to mind. This tune is kinda a mash of this and that with lyrics of a more nasal origin.
I afraid I'm a squeaker (the strings too :whistle:), don't care for coated strings unless they are for a guitar I'm giving away (I know they will last a while longer usually).