Is this blues?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It's funk.

And from the band that, in part, is given credit for its origin.

It gets my Meter running.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Sounds a lot like Jazzy Blues to me----Along the lines of Dave Brubecks "Take 5" possibly the most used break song everywhere back in the 60s: I don't care what it is, but I like it. Matter a fact that would make a great break song. By the way: Well played--good sound on that guitar.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Sounds a lot like Jazzy Blues to me----Along the lines of Dave Brubecks "Take 5" possibly the most used break song everywhere back in the 60s: I don't care what it is, but I like it. Matter a fact that would make a great break song. By the way: Well played--good sound on that guitar.
Tanks,
I hear it all the time around here used as a break song and when the guys at my jam asked to play it, I realized that even though I'd heard it a lot, I'd never played it.

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Mike give a listen to "TAKE 5". If you have never heard it before, I think you will see the connection--it is not the same it is actually better---if you would like me to send you a CD backing track of it--(Take Five) I could do that---it is a very good track, pretty damn close to the real deal. The funny thing is I have been thinking about putting "Take Five" on " Virtual Jam Room"---so the Brothers could get the feel of something a little different--Later

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
A couple minutes on Wikipedia checking out "The Meters" might be of some interest.:sneaky:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Blues, Funk, Motown R&B?..........I don't necessarily like labels.
It's good, you played it well and I like the vibe.
(y)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Mike give a listen to "TAKE 5". If you have never heard it before, I think you will see the connection--it is not the same it is actually better---if you would like me to send you a CD backing track of it--(Take Five) I could do that---it is a very good track, pretty damn close to the real deal. The funny thing is I have been thinking about putting "Take Five" on " Virtual Jam Room"---so the Brothers could get the feel of something a little different--Later

I'm not a big fan of jazz, but I have heard Take 5. IT's cool, just not something I've thought about playing. Seems to me Cissy Strut is more on funkier side. I never thought I liked funk all that much either (I even skipped the funk lesson in BGU... Might have to go back and do that one now), but I've found a few that I REALLY like.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
It's interesting to me that Take 5 (1959), a classic jazz tune written in an "unusual" meter (5/4) and a classic funk tune by the original Meters (1969) have come up in the same discussion.

And that I have both of the albums they originally appeared on.:sneaky:

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Cissy Strut; kind of reminded me of a watered down version of "Take 5". Our band used "Take 5" as a break song----that and Green Onions. I use to know how to play "Take 5" on the guitar--I might see if my old feeble brain can remember it. Probably not.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I'm not a big jazz fan, but I went onto google to find 'Take5', got Dave Brubeck's version, and thought it was pretty darn cool.:cool::cool:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
I like older Jazz and a lot of the Standards, nothing I've ever desired to learn, but some of this neo-fusion stuff out there now is hard to get into