Introducing Cynicure's NEW band: 'Parting Glass'...

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Hey blues dudes! Nice to be rapping wit' y'all again!

Most of you won't know me, but I'm a regular from BGU.com from way back... been playin' an' singin' the blues for several years now! Here's a little proof... a video of me catching a rather large carp with musical accompaniment also supplied by yours truly... Some of you might recognize the first tune as 'Hideaway Blues'... Hey, Griff! You once complimented me by saying that you "couldn't think of a better use" for 'Down to the Station' than to put it alongside the video of the Flying Scotsman the way I did! I wonder what you'll think of the perfection of the matching of 'Hideaway Blues' and this li'l fishing video I took... btw... I have others, which I plan to post if this one gets enough attention/applause! (Let's face it, we're ALL 'show-offs', right?) ;)

https://youtu.be/YPbI7-ElCCE

For those who are REALLY into the blues AND fishing, here are links to 'Monster Carps Number 2, 3 AND 4!':

https://youtu.be/cxj8cmxw36g

And:

https://youtu.be/Lr8bTC1FJ3s

If you enjoy what you find on my YouTube channel, please 'like' and subscribe! Hit the bell-shaped 'notifications' icon and you will automatically be notified of any further videos I post...

Btw, you might also find this video interesting... No fish in it, but some fantastic scenery and my version of Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross'... :D Here it is:

https://youtu.be/N17UZRQKbeE

And for those who are doing the '5 Easy Blues' course, or for those who just love dolphins, here's another interesting video...

https://youtu.be/aNxcXVTqujw

Okay... I guess that's about plenty for one post... I used to be a 'regular' here on BGU... I suppose I'm trying to make up for the fact that I haven't been here for a while... wanna let y'all know what I've been up to since then... and that I have NOT been idle!

Lotsa luv! Dave (Cynicure).... :D

Last edited:

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Cool scenery and nice playing, welcome back and thanks for sharing
Thanks... glad you like the scenery. That's Lake Bonny... along the shore a little way is the camp-site at Barmera, which is a small town with little more than a couple of shops and a couple of pubs and the camp-site. It's a great place for fishing because the lake has been taken over by European Carp. They're a pest species as they tend to out-compete the native species of fish, so once caught, they're not allowed to be returned to the water. There's a big bin at the camp-site where they can be dumped, to be used as bait for sharks by a local fisherman. (Who, I must say, must have a LONG drive to go to work as Barmera is 200 km inland!)

Specially glad you like the music... seems like it could have been written for fishing! :D

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Perhaps I should mention that Parting Glass is not actually a 'blues' band, but rather an Irish Traditional Folk band... and that we did our first gig a week ago yesterday... We were, I think, quite successful for a first gig, and have been lined up for another couple of gigs at the Irish Club in Adelaide. Our next gig will be on Friday 26th July and then again on 23rd August. Also, when I mentioned to the entertainments manager that 'traditional Irish folk music was not my main thing' and said that I also play contemporary folk, the blues, pop, and rock and include in my repertoire songs by Bob Dylan, Donovan, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and even Pink Floyd, he invited me to do a 'solo' gig. I accepted, but a firm date has yet to be fixed, though there was some suggestion of making it one Friday in September, which is okay as it gives me plenty of time to build a couple of song-lists for two forty-five minute sets. If anyone who reads this is from Adelaide or its environs, please feel free to come along; entry is free and the Irish Club has Guinness on tap! And please don't forget to introduce yourselves and say 'Hello'.

Oh... and here's a link to Part 1 of our first gig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh--NA61a2g

There are 8 parts comprising the whole of our two sets... sadly the Go-Pro camera which is what I recorded them on, automatically chopped them up into 12 minute videos, but not too many songs were actually cut in two.

Oh... and I forgot to mention that back in January I went to a music festival in Girgarre, Victoria. Girgarre is just a tiny little town in Victoria and the festival was the third annual 'Girgarre Moosic Muster'... so-called because it takes place largely in a cow-paddock! (With some events also taking place in the Town Hall and the Post office. The festival ran for four days in January and was four days of nothing but music and jamming. I actually attended my first 'official' blues jam, so I suppose I'd better post a link to the first part of that, too... (Go-Pro again... this time 4 parts...) and one more video of a small jam session I had at one dude's camp-site, which was known as Uncle Horace's Pickin' Coop.

Here's a link to the Blues Jam session... Please let me know what you think of my jamming; any advice for improvement will be gratefully accepted!

https://youtu.be/51UTUtgOHfM

I've also posted a few videos of some of the other acts from the 'open mic' session that was held in the Town Hall... Unfortunately I didn't get any footage of my own set. You can easily find these videos on my YouTube channel's 'Videos' page. If you enjoy what you find there, please 'like' and subscribe. If you hit the 'notifications' button after subscribing, you'll automatically be notified of any further videos I post. And PLEASE leave comments! At least let me know you've visited and what you think of the videos... :D

Ciao for now!

Dave (Cynicure)

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Hey Dave!

I'm new here relatively. I would think that many of us here would immediately know Parting Glass would be Irish stuff but good on ya to make that specific.

I'm just back from my first visit to the old sod my ancestors ditched in the mid 1800's and I am like 4th generation born in the United States. My mom was the real musician in the family I am late to the party trying to pay some dues now.

I dunno how well the wife would take the news that I want to go see your solo gig so you may have to carry on with remote support!

Best luck John

Cynicure

Blues Newbie
Hey Dave!

I'm new here relatively. I would think that many of us here would immediately know Parting Glass would be Irish stuff but good on ya to make that specific.

I'm just back from my first visit to the old sod my ancestors ditched in the mid 1800's and I am like 4th generation born in the United States. My mom was the real musician in the family I am late to the party trying to pay some dues now.

I dunno how well the wife would take the news that I want to go see your solo gig so you may have to carry on with remote support!

Best luck John[/QUOTE/]

Thanks John... it's the thought that counts, isn't it? And remote support is better than no support at all. I guess I can't really expect you to come all the way from the USA to see my little gig at the Irish Club! (Damn! Dontcha wish they'd invented 'transporters' like they have in 'Star Trek'?) If I get decent video of it, I'll post the solo gig on my YT page too, so you needn't miss out completely. :D