Impulse Response...

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
I found the IR sessions fascinating...I actually got a loader into Audacity (the trick is to load it into the correct file)...and gave it a test run on a backing track...later today I'll add a guitar track and see what happens...I want more IR's but at least I have a start...

let's share some free IR sites...I'd like some Fender, etc. to go along with the Marshall one's I have...

IR loader... Pulse

Maybe Griff could share some of his favorites...

...later.

cowboy
fwiw, I've got the free version of Presonus and it won't do VST's etc. It reminds me of Pro Tools in a lot of ways...I may upgrade later...better DAW but back to the learning curve.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
fwiw, I've got the free version of Presonus and it won't do VST's etc. It reminds me of Pro Tools in a lot of ways...I may upgrade later...better DAW but back to the learning curve.

Wow! After reading this, I did some searching. That's disappointing.
But Pulse loaded up right away in Cubase 9.5 Elements. Haven't really had time to play with it yet. I'm curious to hear what differences I will hear between the cabinet/mic modeling from the 11r, compared to IRs from Pulse.
Also, I haven't gone searching for IRs yet, other than the free Marshall 1960A kit from RedWire.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
@cowboy . can you share more details on what you loaded,and how you load it into Audacity?

I used the Pulse loader. After you download the Pulse Loader, Unzip the file and navigate to the x86 folder, where you will find Pulse.dll.
Copy it to your Program Files (x86)/Audacity/Plug-Ins folder.
Then open Audacity. Click on Effect > Add/Remove Plug-Ins
Scroll down the list of Plug-Ins until you find Pulse.
Highlight and click the Enable Button.
Close and restart Audacity. It should now list the Pulse loader in your Effects list.

Edit: I haven't had time to verify that it really does anything in Audacity yet, but it does open and I can select a cabinet. I need to do a little recording to test with. Will report back later.

Edit: It blew up my Audacity session. Will try again later.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Holy cow! That's a rabbit hole where a geek like me could disappear for days, perhaps weeks! I did some recording into Cubase with both regular Eleven Rack output on my favorite setting and also recorded the dry signal on a different channel and used the amp and pedal models in Cubase as well as the Pulse IR loader. I think I need to search out some other IRs. The RedWire freebies are all based around the Marshall 1960A cab with Celestion G12M speaks and a boatload of mics and placements. The time sponge potential on that is unbelievable. On first glance, I don't think I'm going to wade too deeply into those waters!

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Holy cow! That's a rabbit hole where a geek like me could disappear for days, perhaps weeks! I did some recording into Cubase with both regular Eleven Rack output on my favorite setting and also recorded the dry signal on a different channel and used the amp and pedal models in Cubase as well as the Pulse IR loader. I think I need to search out some other IRs. The RedWire freebies are all based around the Marshall 1960A cab with Celestion G12M speaks and a boatload of mics and placements. The time sponge potential on that is unbelievable. On first glance, I don't think I'm going to wade too deeply into those waters!

agree...also got the Marshall 1960A IR...the waters probably are too deep but I'll put my feet in just enough to get wet...:whistle::whistle::whistle:

my Presonus Studio One 4 free program is upgradeable at a reasonable price...depends on if you buy a Presonus interface or just upgrade....figure I'll play with the freebe first and then decide if I want to upgrade...it had a lot more options but again, like Pro Tools, a much steeper learning curve...

I'd like some more IR's for Audacity that cover some of the Fender, Boogie, Matchless and Vox amps...I don't want to drown in this but I feel a couple of good ones could really improve the quality of my recordings...the trick may be to find a "few" that I like...loads of stuff to wade through...

btw, your method for loading the "loader" into Audacity is exactly what I did...hopefully gonna do some playing around tomorrow...tonight it's the family and Red Sox vs. Houston...;)...later.

cowboy

Last edited:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Is the IR a separate download or part of the same zip? I'm not home so can't install it right now.
I'm not even sure what an IR file looks like

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Is the IR a separate download or part of the same zip? I'm not home so can't install it right now.
I'm not even sure what an IR file looks like

An IR file is a small WAV file. The Pulse IR loader is a separate download from here: https://lancasteraudio.com/pulse/
The free IR package from RedWirez is here: http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp

Redwirez also has a tutorial available (I haven't been there, yet): http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp
And here is some information about the free download they offer: http://www.redwirez.com/bigbox.jsp

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Seems like it installed ok, and if I play with the dials in pulse when I select it in "Effects", but I don't see anything about Marshall, or cabinets or mic placement.
Oh well.. enough playing around for now. gotta load up for a gig...

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Lloyd, that would be why the zip file didn't seem to contain one.

Looks like this site has a bunch:

http://www.grgr.de/IR/

Now what is an IR? Very literally it is what you hear in response to an impulse ( a single mom zero sample), a click for the rest of us.
When you know how a device like an amp responds to an impulse, you can calculate how it reacts to anything else through a process called convolution and best left to computers to calculate.
There are a number of caveat to being able to calculate response however, including that it only work for linear systems, which in guitar terms mean it can model cabs, but not distortion.

I'm sure there are less geeky explanations out there...

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I didn't think Audacity was able to use plugins... Is that a new feature for Audacity or am I just totally wrong?

Next question... as I understand it then these IRs are loaded into a DAW and allow you to simulate/model an specific amp, within the DAW... is that correct?

If so, that seems pretty cool... is anything else required... ? Wil;l this also work for Reaper or other DAWS...?

Thanks

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I didn't think Audacity was able to use plugins... Is that a new feature for Audacity or am I just totally wrong?

Next question... as I understand it then these IRs are loaded into a DAW and allow you to simulate/model an specific amp, within the DAW... is that correct?

If so, that seems pretty cool... is anything else required... ? Wil;l this also work for Reaper or other DAWS...?

Thanks
It is relatively new. I read several older Google hits that said Audacity does not. My knowledge on this is limited, but I think it is a reference to VST instruments, and not VST effects.