importance of SWS!!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
giayank, I've had SWS since it came out and I found that it really made a difference in my ability to improvise. Unfortunately, unlike you, I've allowed myself to be distracted and I have not gotten back to finish it. Your comments have reminded me that I need to get back and work on SWS more.
Thanks.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I just want to point out to everyone how important this course really is. When I went to BGU Live this last weekend, I was really comfortable with a lot of the solo stuff in BGU using full scales and boxes together. But, the second I got on stage it all vanished. So, I went straight to all of the SWS 4 note boxes that I've been practicing and it saved my butt. If you're just starting out with your soloing, this is a great thing to have under your belt. If you think it's below you, it's still a great thing to have because if all else fails, there's a lot to be done with those 4 little notes when you forget everything else you know so well (as long as you're in the right key  ::)).
Excellent point  :)

giayank

Just another day in paradise
    I still feel after using SWS for couple months that it has been the single most help to my improvisational skills. I also use BBG and BGU . The other courses help me to play a formated blues song. They help me to know chord changes and some of the theory of how they work . But the SWS course takes it to a new level. I'm adding stuff to my solo's now that I never knew I had the ability to play . All the time having more fun than ever. I find the course to be easy to understand but will take yrs to master. [smiley=beer.gif]

R

rikbrooks

I still feel after using SWS for couple months that it has been the single most help to my improvisational skills. I also use BBG and BGU . The other courses help me to play a formated blues song. They help me to know chord changes and some of the theory of how they work . But the SWS course takes it to a new level. I'm adding stuff to my solo's now that I never knew I had the ability to play . All the time having more fun than ever. I find the course to be easy to understand but will take yrs to master. [smiley=beer.gif]

I'm working through SWS now. I have to say I really enjoy it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
SWS definitely jump started my playing, but after a while you will find that you want to expand your repertoire because your solos based on SWS start sounding alike.
Don't get me wrong. I have it and I love it, but you will want to add other skills to your tool kit too.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
MikeS I agree with you. on it's own it's not a complete course.Or Rather a complete music type on it's own . Coupled with the other blues courses Bgu in particular it seemed to round out my playing. I added some ad lib and I also grounded to the traditional form. Really helped me to move in and out of the basic form I had been playing. On it's own I would say not complete coupled with other courses very helpfull.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
MikeS I agree with you. on it's own it's not a complete course.Or Rather a complete music type on it's own . Coupled with the other blues courses Bgu in particular it seemed to round out my playing. I added some ad lib and I also grounded to the traditional form. Really helped me to move in and out of the basic form I had been playing. On it's own I would say not complete coupled with other courses very helpfull.
+1

daveg

Blues Newbie
tony: I've been working through it for a couple of weeks and you will definitely NOT be disappointed. There is such a variety of Blues styles in the course and as I said elsewhere, P. 43 and following helped me to understand a lot about moving around the neck. Love this course!!!
Well, you guys just helped me with my next purchase-gonna order it next week [smiley=beer.gif]
You won't be disappointed

daveg

Blues Newbie
*** That is, a LOT compared to what I knew about it before, which wasn't much. :) Still have so far to go, but that's what's so sweet about all of this, I can spend whatever years of life I have left and never tire or get bored with this.
tony: I've been working through it for a couple of weeks and you will definitely NOT be disappointed. There is such a variety of Blues styles in the course and as I said elsewhere, P. 43 and following helped me to understand a lot about moving around the neck. Love this course!!!
Well, you guys just helped me with my next purchase-gonna order it next week [smiley=beer.gif]
You won't be disappointed