Staff member
Who doesn't need Banjo?

Raised-hand-emoji-meanings.png

Elwood

Blues
Who doesn't need Banjo?

Me!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

24399.jpg

I have my old beater, and one of these fine things is due in Tuesday!!! Getting 'er set up with a Snuffy Smith bridge :thumbup:and a zero glide nut(y) (don't be calling me a zero glide nut now;)). A Recording King RK-R36 Madison. My new Chinese banjo coming in from Nashville Tennessee.

This is your whole set up here, instrument, amplifier (they are LOUD), stomp box (stomp), and PA (Huh? What's that?).

Some folks fish, some like golf, I can run 'em all off with a few quick moves on the old 5 string! My solution to practicing guitar too much.

- I need one of them "city boy pattern players" though. That's is a hoot TZ!!! Another case of enabling and peer pressure, all you fault TZ and I'm telling the Mrs.!!!:whistle::whistle:
- I need to drop MikeC the 5 spot for the set up with that 'Who needs" line!
- And then I see the international symbol for applause from Papa...where is the other hand?

Cant wait!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
You just try to play it, you won't be calling it "half string" for long! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I think they are like -hell week/every week- for you right hand. My picking should begin to improve as I thin out the local population of small, hearing sensitive creatures. :LOL:

Elwood

Blues
Let 'er fly, I'll go out for a pass!!! :Beer:

Even owning a banjo seems to bring to light concerns over one's lineage, intellectual capacity and common interaction with livestock. :cool:

Papa, You get going on that squeeze box (looked pretty good!) and I'll get some of those city boy patterns down. Maybe someday we'll see what we could do with both together. You heard that mandolin in Lake Michigan? Bela Fleck? What he does on a banjo! I bet you could find something floating in the imagination," Them Cajun Moonshine Blues". There, now it's in the zone for the board, and we have an intended genre with cryptic reference to some stereotype associated with both instruments. Whew! All we need is music.:rolleyes:

@Ted_Zeppelin , I just started blabbing when I saw 'banjo". Didn't mean to hijack your thread, sorry.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
If you think that the Banjo is a strange instrument, try the Irish Bouzouki. Here is my rendition of Brian Boru's March, on my Bouzouki and guitar on track two. I named our son after Brian Boru, the High King of Ireland.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wp6usb4y7jlhnlp/Brian Boru's March.mp3?dl=0

Here is a Venezuelan Waltz (La Partida) on the Irish Bouzouki, and I played melody on track one and accompaniment on track two. My wife is from Peru, and she danced to this music when she was in school.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfzhjgjvlsoqebq/La Partida.mp3?dl=0

Just to show you that I can play the Blues with a guitar:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zkokzsjize7s8pk/BB King Solo in A Minor.mp3?dl=0

I just thought of something! I do not have any recordings of myself playing my Balalaika! I must do something about that! :):Beer:

Tom

Elwood

Blues
Three tracks, three great tracks Tom!(y)(y)(y) I like all your playing lots! I had to listen back and forth, with the march and waltz your training and timing model that found with traditional harmony. Love that, but in your "BB' piece you get loose, just enough, with your timing to give it the feel. Playing different instruments seems real cool to me, and you do it well!!! :Beer:

To me, the banjo is just another instrument, but it kind of makes sense to me. I can (anyone can too) figure out three or four chords quickly and then play some kind of many tunes right out of your head, the missing parts will come along. It wants to play itself. 100 years ago guitars were way more strange and banjos of various styles were commonplace. I've always been attracted. If a person had some arthritis, playing an instrument with the thickest string being a 22 on a narrow neck should be OK. I'll be amazed if I'm on this side of dirt before I can play a decent "Salt Creek" but it will sure be fun trying!

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
I was almost hooked and ready to splash the cash, when at the very last minute he said 'Yeehaa not included'!!!!!! That was the deal breaker for me.:(