I-IV-V yes or no

Rad

Blues Newbie
I learned to let people enjoy their hobbies and interests they way they see fit and not to judge them,

This epiphany came after decades of serious motorcycle riding and looking down at the wannabe
Sunday riders with their do rags and pirate costumes and then I started teaching motorcycling and discovered they were just people doing something the way they enjoyed it.

It was a rather dramatic fall off my high horse.......:oops:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Even if some people do have their noses stuck in theory books just for the sake of studying theory, what's wrong with that?
I resemble that remark! :whistle: I hope there's nothing wrong with that.

On second thought, I'm still going to study and research and apply and dissect the why's, how's, when's at what's of music and listening to music even if its wrong :LOL:

Besides, practicing is hard, watching videos and reading books is easy :whistle:

Eric

Tayport

Blues Newbie
I struggle with this all the time. Coming from an engineering trade, it is frustrating as I want to know how things work. I am still working and I just never have the time to really dig into this.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Those "natural" players- if you ask them to transpose a whole step down to accommodate a singer, will they know what to do?

Music "theory" is really more like music "grammar". These are the rules. You better have a good reason to break them.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I struggle with this all the time. Coming from an engineering trade, it is frustrating as I want to know how things work. I am still working and I just never have the time to really dig into this.
I am an engineer and also need to have a "working model". So if seeing "Still Got the Blues" progression is a cycle of 5ths based on Am (or the relative minor of C) helps my understanding, that helps. And then based on the chords that result, I can think about the notes to play.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Interesting that a complete post I deleted reappears later in its entirety as a quote within a response that originally only quoted one line from that post before I deleted it.

May not seem significant to others, but I know what it means to me.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
technically, isnt almost all playing theory, even when you dont truly understand the whys of it ?

take a B chord, just stating you form the nut of the guitar with your finger as the replacement, is somewhat theory