I can't sleep

djordan9

Blues Newbie
I've worked through the first 3 songs without much problem and can play all of I can't sleep with 2 exceptions.  I'm getting tripped up on the pile of notes that starts on bar 87.  25 notes in 3 seconds is fast!  I'm also having problems playing the quick riff at the end of the song.  After working on those two licks for several weeks now, I don't think I have the technical ability to play them.  Any thoughts on how to get these down?  How about an alternate (easier) riff for these parts.  They sound great but playing them is not easy and maybe not possible for some of us.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I still work on bar 87 in my warm ups, but I don't see any progress. Since I am focused on jams, I have been working on incorporating the first 24 bars (roughly) into my soloing. You usually get 24 bars for a solo at a jam, so I'm going to take what I can play and run with it. Don't get bogged down with it for sure. Don't give up on it either, but if you never get it, that's ok. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to play it. It's too great of a solo to not take what you can and put it to good use. Hope this helps.  :cool:

juanlu

Blues Newbie
I agree with U this one has a nice funky groove and is really cool to play the chords and the solo until you reach example 29 that Bonamassa style lick , it is daRn hard to play I'm still working on it I think the only way to master it is to play with a metronome slow with the correct tempo and increase the speed   Don't want to give up , I'm sure we can do it ,don't you think so?

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Griff did say that if you can play it at a jam, you will turn some heads, so I'll keep at it. Just not going to worry about it if I never get it up to speed. Of course, who says you can't use it in a song with a slower tempo? Hmmmmmm. Might be an aha moment right there.  ::)

djordan9

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the tips and encouraging words everyone.  I've moved on to something new, and in the meantime will continue to work on those two licks.  Ultimately, I think I'll get the ending lick up to speed.  I'm not too hopeful about bar 87, but I'm not ready to give up just yet! :)   

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I am going out on a limb here but my thoughts are these.

If you have a lot of notes to play in a limited time. Say 12 notes per beat in 4/4. That is 48 notes in 1 second. There may be a few ways to slay the dragon. You slow the track. Or you can dissect the notes. They are all in the key or they wouldn't be there. So play every 2nd note (you will have to write them down or you will get lost)and let these 24 notes fill the bar.
From there you can slowly add a note until you reach speed.  Or play only every 4th note and let them fill the bar. Then add on.

This is not by any means the silver bullet but it may help.
This is like when learning the chords to a song you might only strum 1 time on the chord until the chord change and strum once on the change, etc. Then you strum 2x etc.
Don't know if this helps or makes sense but I think it is worth exploring.

All I am saying is you don't have to play every note for the solo to sound good. Just slowly and methodically add as you feel comfortable. This way you keep playing a great solo with a great sound until you get to the original. Heck you may find you like your version better than tabbed and that is just awesome. :)

miko

Blues Newbie
Yes I am there now also and just hit a wall....

Thought I was doing good after catching the main groove with not too much difficulty...

Gulp...

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I've seen some improvement in bar 87 lately. I switched up the picking pattern I had been using and it's getting faster. Is that a speck of light I see at the end of the tunnel?  :-?

juanlu

Blues Newbie
I have done a modification of examples 29 and 32, I find it "easier" to play it fast this way, it is in this thread: http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1421925172/0#5

miko

Blues Newbie
Where do you guys see bar numbers on the PDF? I only see example number. I finally managed to get to example 20 but only at 80% of the speed.

juanlu

Blues Newbie
The manual has the same scheme for each song:
Title
Chords for the Song
The whole tab from the beginning to the end ( there is where you can find the measure/bar numbers)
The sections and numbered examples.

Sometimes there are slight differences between the examples and the score, it's really helpful to check both.

Hope this helps.

miko

Blues Newbie
Maybe I am losing it but I don't see bar numbers in my manual.

It doesn't matter anyways...I don't really use the manual. But I should...

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Where do you guys see bar numbers on the PDF? I only see example number. I finally managed to get to example 20 but only at 80% of the speed.
Miko, the bar number appears in the upper left corner of each line of music, just above the treble cleft symbol.
Mike

miko

Blues Newbie
Miko, the bar number appears in the upper left corner of each line of music, just above the treble cleft symbol.
Mike

Mike I swear there is no bar numbers above the treble clef of each line... :-/ Doesn't matter, I am not losing any sleep over this.... yet.

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Miko, I just listened to your recording of I Believe from last July... You don't need no stinkin' bars numbers, brother! Well done, Miko  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

juanlu

Blues Newbie
Sorry if I insist on it too much but the numbers are there, maybe we don't need them, but they exist and Griff wrote them down!!

Cap attached.

miko

Blues Newbie
Sorry if I insist on it too much but the numbers are there, maybe we don't need them, but they exist and Griff wrote them down!!

Cap attached.
Yup I see those. But they are not everywhere. That is where the confusion is from. Thanks

I got the first 12 bars of the solo down. Will practice that for a few days before I attack part 2.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Miko,
you won't find bar numbers in the short examples, probably because they are such small pieces they can be used in multiple places. You should see bar numbers in every full solo.