I Believe

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Steve

That's awesome and what a great piece. I'm sure you will nail it if you stick to it.

Unfortunately for me... I have wandered away from it. I need to get back to it.

Keep on pluggin', you're doing great!

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
I'm wondering how everyone is doing with this, I picked this up, got the First 12 bar intro down and stalled out getting the verses memorized..
It's not that it's difficult, I can play along okay with the Video, but getting the nuances memorized seemed to be difficult.

Improvements I see which would really help me initiall would be Rythym Charts. I dig having the full up staff of music merely to have the Solo work in there, but it would be really better for me to have rythym charts when it comes to the verses...

So how is everyone doing?

wannaplayblues

Blues Newbie
Improvements I see which would really help me initiall would be Rythym Charts. I dig having the full up staff of music merely to have the Solo work in there, but it would be really better for me to have rythym charts when it comes to the verses...
When I started playing guitar I thought that you had to play it as written - if there was a strum there, I needed to hit it! However, one of the things that Griff says in the videos is "if you don't hear it, don't play it". This revelation was one of the hardest things for me to do - yet it's actually freeing. The idea of the rhythms provided is to give you a basis to go with, a flow of feeling as it were. However, it's up to you for the interpretation. This is where your individuality is allowed to shine through.

Am currently working through "I Can't Sleep" and again, Griff says that it's up to you to decide the rhythm, to chop-and-choose how to mix all the variations he's provided. It's still hard for me, I still want to copy exactly what's played.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
When I started playing guitar I thought that you had to play it as written - if there was a strum there, I needed to hit it! However, one of the things that Griff says in the videos is "if you don't hear it, don't play it". This revelation was one of the hardest things for me to do - yet it's actually freeing. The idea of the rhythms provided is to give you a basis to go with, a flow of feeling as it were. However, it's up to you for the interpretation. This is where your individuality is allowed to shine through.

Am currently working through "I Can't Sleep" and again, Griff says that it's up to you to decide the rhythm, to chop-and-choose how to mix all the variations he's provided. It's still hard for me, I still want to copy exactly what's played.

The only thing I would change in the comment "If you Don't Hear it, don't play it" would be to add the word "now" as in: "If you Don't Hear it NOW, don't play it", because I've always done that with songs that I've figured out and play regularly, then I've gone back and listened again and I hear something more each time that I can add to make it sound better.

wannaplayblues

Blues Newbie
The only thing I would change in the comment "If you Don't Hear it, don't play it" would be to add the word "now" as in: "If you Don't Hear it NOW, don't play it"...
I had meant that, but sorry if I failed to make it clear in my comment.

Thanks for the excellent clarification MikeS!

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
I'm still plugging away on this off and on, Haven't even dug into the last solos, I've just been listening and playing the intro 12 bar Solo and the first 2 verses. Initially for me I watched the videos and the play through and it seems pretty easy; however, after learning the intro solo, and then just comping on the first two verses I've found so many nuggets of gold to just really work on and refine.

I'm really enjoying this tune and the process of memorizing things, working on little pieces, focusing on timing, as well as gaining a sense of where I am in the 12 bar sequence as I'm playing..

Fun stuff, look forward to having this internalized and memorized. I don't think I'm going to move forward with any other tunes in this series until I am at least to that point.