How to keep in time with the chord changes?

TonyD

Blues Newbie
I have been told that in order to keep your playing in time with the chord changes that you need to count out the whole song. Is this correct or can you just pay attention to he backing track to know when to start your next phrase? What are your thoughts, please? :-? What would a teacher tell you to do here?

wgabree

Blues Newbie
At first you may need to count measures, but once you are familiar with a progression, you should just be able to feel it.

Its the same as knowing when to sing during a song.  If you know the song really well, you know when to sing. But if you don't, you'll need to follow a lead sheet.

:cool:

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
In the beginning it's important to count and learn how to tap out the rhythm. But, in time you'll be able to stop counting and your tapping will take on a mind of its own. For me, my foot just starts tapping to the rhythm and then my playing just comes when it's time.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Wow! I finally saw a thread that I had an answer for and Wayne and Cyber answered ti so well that I have nothing to add. (Then why bother posting right?)
For me I'm not good at counting, but I've been playing chords for a long long time, so I can "feel" the changes without counting. You'll get there  too.

gpower

Blues Junior
I believe you start to count kinda subconsciously over time. It may be tapping your foot or keeping pace with the drummer but it's still keeping time.

I often catch myself tapping along with the drummer when I'm listening to something.

When you can easily pick up the beat you'll also have an easier time with rthythm patterns.

Maybe that's because I began playin' music, as a drummer.

TonyD

Blues Newbie
Keeping time is not my biggest problem here. What I am finding is that i may get a beat ahead or behind where I am supposed to be. That being said, I think that I need to learn how to count out the song. Thanks all for the help :)

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
My answer will be obvious probably - but I'm all about counting. I've just seen so many students over the years who come back from a week or two since their last lesson, and play it wrong. I have them count out loud and all of a sudden it's right. It's the closest thing to a magic pill I've ever found.

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
That's what I was trying to say, that eventually your body will start counting on its own without you even thinking about it....after you get used to counting though.

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I can count, and I can play guitar.  I just cannot do both at the same time, it seems.

And counting the beats is easy.  It is counting the mixed timed beats and rests that throw me off badly.

TonyD

Blues Newbie
ey 560: I was having the same problem and I worked it out like this.
Take the full track and slow it down to whatever speed you need to be able to count it out without the guitar. Once that is done and smooth, add in the guitar. you may have to slow it down even more with the guitar. Once you are playing and counting smoothly (counting loudly and foot tapping) start to speed up the track and work you way to full speed. Horay, you have made. Leet some time go by and try it again. Oops, you have to slow it down again. After you have nailed it a few times at full speed, open the backing track and do it all over again. I have found this to be quite time consuming but I got it in the end. Have fun and be patient and you will get it. :) ;) :D

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
First, I put on the headphones and I slow down the demo and practice with it so I can try and get Griff's phrasing down.  And I work that up to speed.  Then I slow down the back track and listen to it while I practice without Griff's guitar.  Because it will force you to listen to the drummer, bass and rhythm player.  The drummer will usually do something different to give you a clue the change is coming and if you have the phrasing down, you'll have a better chance of following the chord changes. 

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
560 another way to get the timing down is to just play the first beat of each measure and continue counting the remaing 3 beats out loud. This simplifies things as there is not so much to remember. Then add either the 2nd beat or third beat. When that is smooth add the other 2 beats. :)

G

Garymcm

For me timing is everthing, I was having trouble with triplets in Solo 3 in BGU until i read a post from Grriff who said if you cant count it, you  cant play it. Really clicked for me.
Started counting the triplets and presto a few hours later they started to come out in time.
Find myself counting to everthing now, especially inthe car. While some of SRV's lick are tricky I'm begninng to be able to count them, in time, consistantlly (dont even bother to ask about playing them!!!lol, that is for another life ;D).
noticed my playing is progressing beyond the plateau I hit a few months ago, but just  coounting, so I'm a definate counting convert.
Cheers
Gary

L

Lame_Pinkey

Yeah I always seem to be ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzCOWDKJVY

LP

G

Garymcm

Yeah I always seem to be ;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inzCOWDKJVY

LP
you'll have plenty of time when you get your Jackson.
good to see Brian on that (he was very talented, although highly fragile), Charlie and Bill looking cool and Keef looking like a pimply kid..took me a while to realise that the video didn't link to the song - though my eyes were going.
Cheers
Gary

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
For me timing is everthing, I was having trouble with triplets in Solo 3 in BGU until i read a post from Grriff who said if you cant count it, you  cant play it. Really clicked for me.
Started counting the triplets and presto a few hours later they started to come out in time.
Find myself counting to everthing now, especially inthe car. While some of SRV's lick are tricky I'm begninng to be able to count them, in time, consistantlly (dont even bother to ask about playing them!!!lol, that is for another life ;D).
noticed my playing is progressing beyond the plateau I hit a few months ago, but just  coounting, so I'm a definate counting convert.
Cheers
Gary

Gary, I had the same experience with solo 4 & reading Griff's post helped tremendously.  I think I count subconsciously  which gets me through most licks but there were a couple in solo 4 that I just wasn't "hearing" clearly, even slowed down.  So I went to the notation, figured out the proper count, & in surprisingly short order, got the licks to sound the way they were supposed to.  It was also a good refresher excercise in reading musical notation. 

L

Lame_Pinkey

Seriously I cannot count ( with music i mean  ;D ) it just interfere's with everything like trying to sing & play - pfffffffffffff !
Or those darn noisy backing tracks that refuse to stay in time with me !
What that don't realise in my home I'm the leader of the band here & you follow me !

LP