How did you get here?

Rob63

Make It Your Own
First post. "How did I get here?" I've been playing for years as a hobby and have purchased numerous books and also other video courses. Last year I took a chance on BGU and my playing and confidence level has progressed by leaps and bounds! This led me to purchase several other courses on this site. I don't know what it is but Griff's way of getting through seems to work for me (although the counting out loud doesn't work for me ;-) ). Also the daily videos in my email are an added bonus and a great way to start my day......I watch every single one.....take what's useful to me. Thanks Griff (BGU) for knocking down the doors and making my playing more fun.....which is what we all are looking for!

artyman

Fareham UK
hi Rob and welcome from one of the UK mob, great bunch of people on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. When you get settled take a wander down to the basement and look in on the Virtual jam Room and join some of us in there trying out our skills, don't forget to bring the beer :D

Rob63

Make It Your Own
hi Rob and welcome from one of the UK mob, great bunch of people on here with plenty of advice and encouragement. When you get settled take a wander down to the basement and look in on the Virtual jam Room and join some of us in there trying out our skills, don't forget to bring the beer :D
Just trying to find my way around this forum and what it has to offer.

RichardCuellar

Blues Newbie
Im here because I saw a few of Griff's videos on Youtube and I thought that of all the 'Tubers out there, he seemed more concerned with teaching blues guitar more from a working musicians perspective than a "Learn how to be a blues shredder!" viewpoint, which I have no use for. So, I bought his Blues Unleashed course and here I am!

AndyHardy

Blues Newbie
I'm here because of Griff's digital marketing skills. I was targeted via Facebook. The content of his teaser videos really spoke to me, so I decided to give the blues another shot.

I picked up an acoustic about 25 years ago and went through phases, starting with about 2 years of formal classical guitar lessons, which eventually bored me. Not that it was easy or that I was great at it, but that I wasn't interested in the material. Then shifted to just strumming cords and singing on my own, because that's really what I really wanted to do. Then decided to get serious and learn (and record) blues from Cream, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Johnny Winter, etc. I never was great at it, probably better than I think. Eventually I burned myself out by tackling pieces that were beyond me and beating myself up for not being perfect and growing tired of trying to be perfect. I definitely need to identify and accept being good enough.

So Griff's marketing made me realize that I still had those desires, but needed a better approach. I'm slowly working my way through BGU 2.0, while being pleasantly distracted by some of his playing on the porch videos. Now I find myself being drawn into slide guitar. I've progressed pretty well on the Intro to Slide course and am about to start the Five Easy Slide Solos.

So I have really enjoyed his approach and material so far. I love his daily e-mails, videos and FB teasers. The scope of material here has really opened my eyes up to new possibilities.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I'm here because of Griff's digital marketing skills. I was targeted via Facebook. The content of his teaser videos really spoke to me, so I decided to give the blues another shot.

I picked up an acoustic about 25 years ago and went through phases, starting with about 2 years of formal classical guitar lessons, which eventually bored me. Not that it was easy or that I was great at it, but that I wasn't interested in the material. Then shifted to just strumming cords and singing on my own, because that's really what I really wanted to do. Then decided to get serious and learn (and record) blues from Cream, Muddy Waters, Elmore James, Johnny Winter, etc. I never was great at it, probably better than I think. Eventually I burned myself out by tackling pieces that were beyond me and beating myself up for not being perfect and growing tired of trying to be perfect. I definitely need to identify and accept being good enough.

So Griff's marketing made me realize that I still had those desires, but needed a better approach. I'm slowly working my way through BGU 2.0, while being pleasantly distracted by some of his playing on the porch videos. Now I find myself being drawn into slide guitar. I've progressed pretty well on the Intro to Slide course and am about to start the Five Easy Slide Solos.

So I have really enjoyed his approach and material so far. I love his daily e-mails, videos and FB teasers. The scope of material here has really opened my eyes up to new possibilities.

Welcome to the forum Andy, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:)

JayJay

Blues Newbie
I'm here because of Facebook as well. I have the 4 note solo and How to Jam the Blues Alone. I really like Griff's teaching style. I will be buying more courses! Also, I live in Clearwater Florida, but I’m originally from Arlington Virginia.

Last edited:

WillardWood

Blues Newbie
I spend too much time on fb, there I listened to Griff and his blues playing daily, becoming interested, starting to want to learn more, B.B. King, Clapton, J.J. Cale, others. I was taking local lessons when COV-19 made it difficult. I am 78, retired, widowed, have been a guitar fan for 65 years. My 1st guitar was a Sears Harmony at 13. Life just got in the way, Teen interest, Cars, Girls, Military, College,Career's, Family, etc. Now I have 5 guitars, building a Custom Strat, fix my Son and bands amps, just wished I had more time to learn. I always loved music.

steve o

Student Of The Blues
I spend too much time on fb, there I listened to Griff and his blues playing daily, becoming interested, starting to want to learn more, B.B. King, Clapton, J.J. Cale, others. I was taking local lessons when COV-19 made it difficult. I am 78, retired, widowed, have been a guitar fan for 65 years. My 1st guitar was a Sears Harmony at 13. Life just got in the way, Teen interest, Cars, Girls, Military, College,Career's, Family, etc. Now I have 5 guitars, building a Custom Strat, fix my Son and bands amps, just wished I had more time to learn. I always loved music.
Welcome to the forum Willard, it’s awesome having you with us!!!:)

DanielHarrell

Blues Newbie
Hey Now Y'all,
I'm Dan Harrell, former world savior/nuclear&chem weapons destroyer and blues lover. I've caught and released my guitar playing for many years, and having reached a point in time that releasing is counter to quality living, am totally committing to elevating my passion for being a well rounded musician who can jam on blues like it's my job! In blues music my biggest influences include Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Mr. Jimi, Johnny Winter, Muddy Waters, and SRV. It's a high bar. That's why there's no time like the present. Thank you for having me on this forum. Some day in the not too distant tomorrow, I hope to add new chops to share with you. Until that day, I'm taking in all of Griff's instruction. Thanks!
DanTana

ByronBradleyByrd

Blues Newbie
New and old members. We have been talking about this for a long time. We have nearly 1500 members of this Forum and growing every day. What hooked you on Blues Guitar Unleashed? or Beginning Blues Guitar? I am quite sure that most of us stumbled on the 4 Note Solo video on Griff's blog. But lets let Griff know how powerful that really was (so he will do more!).

Oh, and just a thought if you read this. Please, lets start putting our rough geographic locations somewhere in our profiles. It is getting hard to keep track and remember where everyone is located and I think that is one of the coolest parts of this forum.

Thanks guys

ByronBradleyByrd

Blues Newbie
Hi! I got into Griff's courses many years ago and only today found the forum and access via PDF's to the courses I originally got through the mail. Great and fair resource! I barely know how to use this forum. Tried to register by area for jams (I'm in Ashland, Oregon) but couldn't work it.

I've been a music lover all my life. (Dad liked piano despite having three fingers squished off; uncle played jazz guitar.) Always messing with some instrument (mainly electric guitar and piano, but also dunbecks, sax, flutes, voice), favoring solid blues, funk, and simplified classics. (Enjoying Shostakovich child's piece in A-, piano > guitar.) (Also dearly favor Chopin, Lidst, Satie, Beethoven, but really like James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Talking Heads, Ray Charles, etc.) Sometimes a classical piece will intrigue me, only to analyze it slowly and find it is in a simple classic blues-like structure!

Fortunately, I live in a music-rich town. My favorite local guitar player is Jeff Pevar, who once played with Ray Charles and Crosby, Stills and Nash, and Bonnie Rait, etc., but now lives here. He's somewhere between Jimi Hendrix and Chopin, only via improvisation!

I want to move from being An Appreciator to A Contributor. I have funky jams and riffs to contribute. Would love a drummer. Would love to create danceable jams and telling lyrics. At 75, I better get going before I'm gone!

But where? How? Is there an on-line way to offer jams or ways to add to others' jams? Are any of you working with a looper, multi-tracking (like Audacity) or know the where and how of hooking up with other jammers?

I've found only some sorts of jammers I can jam with. I like simple, rhythmic, and room for slop. (I was in a vocal jam group for years; no leader, no rules, no expectation, all improv by ear and voice. Sometimes it was an annoying cacophony, sometimes an exquisite surprise of theme emerging, variation, and resolution - all on the spot.) I find expertise on an instrument isn't as important as the ability to listen and jam in, a knack for going along and making it better. Any similar jammers out there?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi! I got into Griff's courses many years ago and only today found the forum and access via PDF's to the courses I originally got through the mail. Great and fair resource! I barely know how to use this forum. Tried to register by area for jams (I'm in Ashland, Oregon) but couldn't work it.

I've been a music lover all my life. (Dad liked piano despite having three fingers squished off; uncle played jazz guitar.) Always messing with some instrument (mainly electric guitar and piano, but also dunbecks, sax, flutes, voice), favoring solid blues, funk, and simplified classics. (Enjoying Shostakovich child's piece in A-, piano > guitar.) (Also dearly favor Chopin, Lidst, Satie, Beethoven, but really like James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Talking Heads, Ray Charles, etc.) Sometimes a classical piece will intrigue me, only to analyze it slowly and find it is in a simple classic blues-like structure!

Fortunately, I live in a music-rich town. My favorite local guitar player is Jeff Pevar, who once played with Ray Charles and Crosby, Stills and Nash, and Bonnie Rait, etc., but now lives here. He's somewhere between Jimi Hendrix and Chopin, only via improvisation!

I want to move from being An Appreciator to A Contributor. I have funky jams and riffs to contribute. Would love a drummer. Would love to create danceable jams and telling lyrics. At 75, I better get going before I'm gone!

But where? How? Is there an on-line way to offer jams or ways to add to others' jams? Are any of you working with a looper, multi-tracking (like Audacity) or know the where and how of hooking up with other jammers?

I've found only some sorts of jammers I can jam with. I like simple, rhythmic, and room for slop. (I was in a vocal jam group for years; no leader, no rules, no expectation, all improv by ear and voice. Sometimes it was an annoying cacophony, sometimes an exquisite surprise of theme emerging, variation, and resolution - all on the spot.) I find expertise on an instrument isn't as important as the ability to listen and jam in, a knack for going along and making it better. Any similar jammers out there?

There are online jams available Jamkazam (nothing to do with Griff) is probably the most popular, but they have moved to a for fee service and lag can be an issue.
as for here on the forum, I'd recommend check the basement (at the bottom of the forum) for the Virtual Jam Room (VJR)

ByronBradleyByrd

Blues Newbie
There are online jams available Jamkazam (nothing to do with Griff) is probably the most popular, but they have moved to a for fee service and lag can be an issue.
as for here on the forum, I'd recommend check the basement (at the bottom of the forum) for the Virtual Jam Room (VJR)

Thanks, MikeS. I'm easily frustrated by computers and forum mechanics, but I will try out the VJR.

I wonder how musicians collaborate in such things as Zoom without a lag problem. I also am attempting to learn to jam on my own tracks in Audacity. Others doing that here? Audacity and multitracking advice?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks, MikeS. I'm easily frustrated by computers and forum mechanics, but I will try out the VJR.

I wonder how musicians collaborate in such things as Zoom without a lag problem. I also am attempting to learn to jam on my own tracks in Audacity. Others doing that here? Audacity and multitracking advice?
People don't and can't collaborate on Zoom, at least not in real time. Zoom isn't built for that. Only one person at a time can speak or sing. The way we've used Zoom the past few months (Zoomstock) is just kind of a get together where we chat and one or another of us occasionally "takes the spotlight" and does a song.

Many of us have used Audacity, and for simple recording it is just fine. If you want to get fancier (plug in, adding effects after the fact...) several of us have moved over to Presonus Studio One (S1). There is a free, though limited version and there are at least two levels above that for sale. Most people are perfectly happy with the first level (Artist). Paparaptor (Lloyd) is one of out moderators and he has created several videos on how to get the most out of S1.
Which ever you choose (Audacity or S1.. or any other DAW for that matter)), you will be able to use it for the VJR, as long as you create mp3 files.
There is a tutorial on how to use the VJR in the sticky posts at the beginning of the section.
Here's a link that will take you directly there: https://bluesguitarunleashed.com/forum/index.php?threads/virtual-jam-room-rules-guidlines.1626/

Feel free to reach out to anyone here on the forum (Including moderators or Griff) we are all here to support each other.

MICHAELWICKIZER

Blues Newbie
Obviously new here and new to playing guitar. Searching and watching a ton of videos I learned what kind of music i wanted to pursue and teaching styles. Griff won out by a huge margin. I am retired and currently living in RV but should have a new house soon with plenty of room to practice. We will see if this old man can do it:)

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Obviously new here and new to playing guitar. Searching and watching a ton of videos I learned what kind of music i wanted to pursue and teaching styles. Griff won out by a huge margin. I am retired and currently living in RV but should have a new house soon with plenty of room to practice. We will see if this old man can do it:)
Welcome and enjoy the journey!