High (not Low) E String Broke

Peter Wynne

Woke up fell outta bed drag a comb across my head
Is it normal to break the high (not low) E string while practicing these solos. I was, in particular, practicing 5EBS Solo 2 and The 4 Note Solo (for a few weeks now!). Using Duesenberg DSA10 (010-013-017-028-042-050) on a Starplayer changed around 7-8 months ago. Think i should try 9s and change more often?

Think i will switch to my Strat and keep practicing........

Last edited:

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
It's certainly not normal, guess it would always be possible, but not normal. I play most days and bend a lot and haven't broken a string in five years and seldom change strings ( I should more often).
Could poss be faulty fret? but I'm sure one of the more techy guys will be able to help more.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
LOW E?! You mean the 50 gauge, thickest string? Not the “high” E - 10 gauge??? Wow, that’s not common. But 7-8 months is a long time to go between changes, too (assuming you’re playing every day). Personally, I wouldn’t go to “9’s” on the Duesenberg. I tried 9’s for the first time last year on a new Strat. And while they’re “easier” to play, they’re also a little trickier to control. I’d put a new set of strings (same) on, and if it happens again, check out the guitar, but your Duesenberg is a fantastic guitar and I would be surprised if it was the cause! Good luck Peter!

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Those were my thoughts, too, Norfolk, ...then my answer would have been YES! 5EBS was the first course I got from Griff, and bending was new to me. I must've broken 2 or 3 strings (high E) before I finished the course!

Peter Wynne

Well. After 2 days I broke the high E string on the Strat as well. They are probably 6 months old and a month or so since i played it last. So i guess i'm having a string-changing party. Or i could press on with my acoustic :)

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hang in there, Peter!...and buy a bunch of new strings! They really do bend better when they're new! And pretty soon you'll learn your limits on pressure and all will be good!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I don't break many strings these days. It could be a signal that it's time to change the set. I know that's what happens on my 12 string. When the high G strings breaks (usually tuning) I change the set. It'll play like a fun new guitar too!! stick with the 10's........ The more I play the more electric guitars get 10's.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
7-8 months between string changes is a pretty long time if you play often.
The high E is the thinnest string and most likely to break. Sometimes rought frets can be hard on strings over time, so a fret polish could help, but since you broke it on the strat too that's not the issue.

I found that some brands break more that others for me.

Pegasus

Blues Newbie
Hi,
If you can determine at which point the string broke e.g. at the nut (slot may be too tight) or at the bridge (burrs where the string passes over) or at the tuner post (sharp edge on hole) or along the length of the string (rusted due to not cleaning after playing) or have you just set the intonation (this can bend the string in a new place and breakage can occur at the old bend point). This can usually direct you to a fix of smoothing rough locations improved care . I usually set up the intonation just prior to changing strings so that any new bends are on the strings that get replaced. Have also experienced the string untwisting from around the ball and thought that the string had broken ( use decent strings).
Most of all enjoy the experience of playing and having fun.
Ross

Peter Wynne

It looks like they both broke right at the 10 fret (4 note solo area). I've got them both changed to new set of strings now. But i find i'm being more cautious as i approach the 2 step bend. I suspect the strings were old and i should change them more often especially since i practice/play every day. Thank you for all the feedback. This forum is the best!