Hi - I am New!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Welcome to the best blues forum there is and by the sound of it your hooked, so come on in regular and join the banter. (y)

JohnRichey

Blues Newbie
Hello again - I have been learning So Much! Wow I can hardly believe it! I learned the pentatonic scales some years back but never really learned how/when to use them, but now I am all over that fret board. Just wish my fingers were a little younger and more cooperative. And finger calluses! They look like newt fingers now. You know the 4 note solo? I still cant play the fast part at full speed I don't really know why. Tried it slow and it works fine, but full speed is just no good. I can get up to 93% of full tempo but have not worked past it. Any suggestions?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Tried it slow and it works fine, but full speed is just no good. I can get up to 93% of full tempo but have not worked past it. Any suggestions?

When I run into this I use the metronome and just up it 4 bpm every couple of days. Alternatively, if you have software that can adjust the speed of the playback that would do the same thing but with the backing track.

My experience is that speed comes from REPETITION over TIME. It not only takes reps but daily practice over a period of time. Gotta build myelin for those pathways in the brain.

Make sure you are practicing at a speed where you can do it perfectly as you really don't want to practice mistakes.

Bottom line, practice practice practice.

Eric

D. R. Miller

Good News Blues
Welcome John, I'm fairly new here myself but am loving all the Instruction material so far. Now I just need to retire so I have time to go through it all each day. Griff is a great instructor.

artyman

Fareham UK
Don't retire you will find you seem to have less time than when you were working, strange but it's true!

KenL

Blues Newbie
Hello Brothers - I retired a few years ago and was thinking what should I do to fill my days? Then we went to the Music Museum Center near Phoenix and my wife and I were looking at the electric guitars - and snap something just went off in my head and said I need to learn this! So I bought some stuff and started to play. I soon completed a great 6 month course on basic guitar with a good mix of theory and practical playing. Then for another year I just made up a little repetoir of songs to play along with - just rhythm. That was fun but I still did not know how to solo. I new my pentatonics but did not understand them enough to play anywhere on the neck. Then I saw Griff's offer to learn a 24 bar blues song and I dug in. I leaned so much from that! Then I found the 4 note solo and started in on that. I was playing every day and loving it! Man there is so much to learn about blue soloing - it is really difficult to get started! But these really helped me. So I just bought the BGU2 package and will start working my way through that.

Cheers!
Welcome John. You came to the right place. Great instruction and a very supportive group.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
This is a great place to learn or just schmooze John. Don't be shy
about asking questions or posting comments.