Help! I think I created a monster!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
This fooling around with MIDI drums has become an obsession (or an addiction, not sure which).
Anyhow, this started one way and ended up something completely different. It's 65bpm and it's in G. As is my usual, there is only bass and drums, no rhythm. The bass is homegrown Jazz Bass and not MIDI. If it is palatable, please hack at your leisure. It's about 10 minutes.

Here is the clean track. https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/clean/G-65bpmBassAndDrums-clean.mp3

At the last minute I decided to open it up with the first contribution. I'm in to around 2:20 on this copy.
https://fuzzypinkstrap.com/VJR/G-65bpmBassAndDrums-Papa.mp3

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
The house lights dim as the band appears on the shadowy stage.

As the mellow tones spill out into the audience, a spotlight reveals only one man standing on the stage.

His fuzzy pink strap glows in the blue light as his fingers pluck a familiar bass line to his MIDI drums.
Mesmerized, the crowd watches as he reaches for his signature tele and he delivers a two minute solo that fills in the space he has delicately created for the "Fool'n Around Blues".
PapaRaptor is his name and he invites you to join the band.
Don't forget to tip the wait staff...............thank you.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Mesmerized, the crowd watches as he reaches for his signature tele
Except it was the FauXplorer, with all the buzzy stuff turned off.
The strap is still fuzzy, but white,
And may all your Christmases be white!
FauXplorer-WhiteStrap.jpg

And please, by all means, join the band!

Last edited:

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Great stuff, papa! Not sure what I liked more - the playing or the recording. The bass tone was exceptional!

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
It sounded great Papa. You showed great restraint on your solo, which really played perfectly into the backing track. Hopefully I can add a little tonight. Might even see if I can figure out what this midi stuff is and just have it do my playing for me.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Correction:

The house lights dim as the band appears on the shadowy stage.

As the mellow tones spill out into the audience, a spotlight reveals only one man standing on the stage.

His fuzzy pink white strap glows in the blue light as his fingers pluck a familiar bass line to his MIDI drums.
Mesmerized, the crowd watches as he reaches for his signature tele explorer and he delivers a two minute solo that fills in the space he has delicately created for the "Fool'n Around Blues".
PapaRaptor is his name and he invites you to join the band.

Don't forget to tip the wait staff...............thank you.

To paraphrase a great man:
I have a dream that little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their strap, but by the content of their character.

Elwood

Blues
Awesome, very nice playing, and the "stuff" you guys are doing in your laboratories/studios, well that's just amazing. Awesome!

Ted_Zeppelin

***RECORDING***

Thanks to @tommytubetone posting about the Electro-Harmonix C9 organ pedal, I found a used one pretty cheap on eBay and was compelled to purchase it. The pedal is great but it does take a different playing style to get good organ sounds out of it. I'm not there yet but that didn't stop me from adding a little organ to this backing track. I know...I'm getting crazy this week with piano's and organ's:eek::eek::eek:. I used the Epi 339 over the top from 2:21 - 3:49.

G-65bpm-Bass-Drums-Papa-TZ

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
The pedal sounds interesting. Funny thing, I was toying with the idea of putting an organ or piano track behind the full track. I tried both and never came up with anything I liked. Maybe for the next one, I'll try an ocarina or something... Hey it worked for the Troggs!

Nice sounding solo TZ!

Ted_Zeppelin

The pedal sounds interesting. Funny thing, I was toying with the idea of putting an organ or piano track behind the full track. I tried both and never came up with anything I liked. Maybe for the next one, I'll try an ocarina or something... Hey it worked for the Troggs!

Nice sounding solo TZ!

Thank you. Just had to comment on your song of the day. I really like Eric Gales and “Layin’ Down The Blues” is probably my favorite E.G. song. That chord progression is great!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Thank you. Just had to comment on your song of the day. I really like Eric Gales and “Layin’ Down The Blues” is probably my favorite E.G. song. That chord progression is great!
I didn't realize the album that is from is 10 years old. Just amazing stuff. If someone can listen to that and not get a big old grin on their face, they must be dead!

Elwood

Blues
Nice TZ! Imaginative stuff, another great track Papa. I really have a hard time hearing what is doing what (in a good way) with the effects and sims you guys dream up. What always comes through to my old ears is nice playing!:thumbup:
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

and then here I come with 595 a tele :whistle: Always trying to help:)...doing my part to make others look good.:Beer::Beer::Beer:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4mtt1bwttr72vbm/bass,drums,g,-papa-tz-ew--001.mp3?dl=0

From TZ at 3:49 to 6:02 (where it goes kinda quiet:)) Sorry I took such a bit bite, wanted to get to Papa's bass breaks to make some tele screech.

(hey, at least it is a mp3 and I remembered the "dl", I'm trainable...I think.)

Last edited:

Ted_Zeppelin

Nice TZ! Imaginative stuff, another great track Papa. I really have a hard time hearing what is doing what (in a good way) with the effects and sims you guys dream up. What always comes through to my old ears is nice playing!:thumbup:
thumbup.gif
thumbup.gif

and then here I come with 595 a tele :whistle: Always trying to help:)...doing my part to make others look good.:Beer::Beer::Beer:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/4mtt1bwttr72vbm/bass,drums,g,-papa-tz-ew--001.mp3?dl=0

From TZ at 3:49 to 6:02 (where it goes kinda quiet:)) Sorry I took such a bit bite, wanted to get to Papa's bass breaks to make some tele screech.

(hey, at least it is a mp3 and I remembered the "dl", I'm trainable...I think.)

Nice playing Elwood. We might just get you trained after all :Beer::Beer:.

Elwood

Blues
a one celled hammond organism:D

Thanks Moto, I was trying for a, bad tubes, dead strings, blown speaker, empty bar, tele foraging in a trio kinda tone. way fell apart coming down at the end, oh well. :whistle:

Last edited: