Hello from Texas

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Welcome, Steve, from another member of the AARP crowd. It is great having the time to practice in retirement. Good luck to you!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Thanks, Mtman, for the welcome and glad to be here. And my dog Bodhi extends a paw on your excellent judgment. ;)
Are you a skier? A friend of mine named one of his pets Bodie, he spells it different......... If I get a female dawg I may need to name her Lindsey!! :Beer:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I used to be a skier. Got to be really good. And cocky. Until the ski patrol had to pack me down the mountain in one of those funny little yellow sleds, the doctors had to pry my right knee out of my left arm pit, and three years of therapy to stop walking like Festus on Gunsmoke. The name of the run was "Exterminator". It was aptly named.

Bushwhacker

Suspect 1
Welcome Steve, yep, Beatles, start to play, stop.... then 4 note solo is my story too! I have the time now too, maybe we are similar age. Have fun relearning, and taking on new stuff.Enjoy!
Dave

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
Thanks for the welcome artyman. My ancestral heritage is all U.K.; Scotland, England, Wales, and Ireland. Although I've yet to make the trip across the pond, doing so is high up on the bucket list for sure.

Hope I'll get to meet Griff in person some day. I'll check out the Jam Room, hope to see you there. Thanks again for the welcome.

Howdy Steve and welcome to the best and friendliest and most helpful Blues site on the Web! I am also an AARP member and on Social Security full disability due to a back injury I incurred while in the US Navy, but one I lived with until about 15 years ago, when I had 2 back surgeries- the second of which was a 9 hour 3 level lumbar global fusion (meaning the surgeons operated from the abdomen first, then flipped me over and operated from my back, ending up by putting in titanium rods and screws on those 3 levels (L3-L4, L4-L5, L-5-S1) to hold everything in place until the 3 levels fused). However, due to screwups by the surgeons, and other doctors and nurses in the recovery room, my back never fused (basically due to internal bleeding post-op which they said wasn't possible, so they kept pushing fluids into me as my BP was dropping, and it wasn't until my personal Doctor (PCP) was called in that he had me put in ICU and started blood transfusions, which were what I had needed all along that I cheated death. He said if I were a few years older, all that other fluid they infused could have stressed my heart to the point of it stopping.

So, I've been in pain since then and after years of meds to control it, I finally found an "Interventional" pain doctor, who does nerve blocks (by injecting with fluoroscopy numbing drugs right onto the nerves carrying pain signals to the Brain) and for the first time the pain was GONE! But those first injections lasted only 6 weeks, so I had a second set of injections which stopped the pain again, until 2 days ago when the pain returned. This time the "blocks" lasted 8 weeks, and I called to make an appointment with him again, but he's on vacation until Feb. 29th and his 1st week back he's overbooked, so I have to wait to see him until March 7th, and then probably another week until he can do a procedure (this time hopefully an "ablation" that burns and kills the same spot on the same nerves,which can stop the pain for up to a year. I can't wait and I use a TENS unit to block noticing the pain until then. Sorry for the LONG story!

BTW, due to my wife Mary's grandmother being born in Ireland, both of now have dual US/Irish citizenship, and two passports. I went to England a few years ago, and Mary came along, but she then went over to Ireland to visit at the place her grandmother was born, and I had a chance to go to the Isle of Wight to visit with a super talented woman singer/songwriter for a couple of days. But I really want to go to Ireland and I hope that will be possible now that I'm retired from being a software engineer and I'm back to being a full time musician

WELCOME and look around at all the great Blues material here! We're happy to have you here!

Jim (jimsig)

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Steve, welcome to the forum. I don't always get to take the time to read every day, so a belated welcome from California (previously Pittsburgh)! Glad you found Griff and the team! He does know how to play and teach - are real rare combination.

Steve51

4-thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Are you a skier? A friend of mine named one of his pets Bodie, he spells it different......... If I get a female dawg I may need to name her Lindsey!! :Beer:

Not a skier, no. Water skied when I was a kid, but not for about 50 years now. That kind of activity seems like it's not for me. Have never put on snow skis. I think of dear old Sonny Bono and how he checked out and I just lose all interest in even trying snow skis.

My dog Bodhi was rescued, received maybe a better word, from a house full of college kids that were moving after the semedster and wanted to give him a good home somewhere. I showed up at exactly the right time and they gave him to me. Bargain of my life!

This house full of college kids had already named him Bodhi, proniounced BO-dee, like Clint Walker's character Cheyenne Bode of Western TV fame way back when. I asked these kids about the name and Bodhi is short for Bodhisattva. They told me that in the Hindu religion, a bodhisattva is a soul who chooses to return and incarnate on the earth again, even though he does not have to. A bodhisattva is already an advanced soul and can now step off the karmic wheel and is eligible for reunion with the Lord. But the bodhisattva chooses to come back to live yet another life in the flesh anyway to help out those who are still working on soul growth. I know very little of Hinduism, only what I've read in books, and I am a Christian by upbringing and practice, but have great respect for other people's beliefs, especially this Hindu concept about the bodhisattva. These college kids named this big, wonderful, pup Bodhi, and why I don't know and they couldn't give a good reason, but if it could ever be proved he came back to help when he didn't have to, I will not be surprised in the least. He is a remarkable dog; lovable, playful, and always at your service. Especially if it involves biscuits, roughhousing, or chasing squirrels.

Lindsey is a good name for a dog. I think a female dog might like being called Lindsey. Just a random thought. Good name, though, Lindsey.

Last edited:

Steve51

I used to be a skier. Got to be really good. And cocky. Until the ski patrol had to pack me down the mountain in one of those funny little yellow sleds, the doctors had to pry my right knee out of my left arm pit, and three years of therapy to stop walking like Festus on Gunsmoke. The name of the run was "Exterminator". It was aptly named.

Exactly the outcome I was trying to avoid by giving up the mere idea of skiing. At least you had enough life in you to improvise, adapt and overcome through physical therapy and learn to stop walking like Festus Hagan. Sonny Bono was called home. Glad you made it, Rance.

Steve51

Welcome Steve, yep, Beatles, start to play, stop.... then 4 note solo is my story too! I have the time now too, maybe we are similar age. Have fun relearning, and taking on new stuff.Enjoy!
Dave

Hey Bushwhacker--If you were around 12 that night the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan's show the first time, we're probably close in age. I'm beginning to think lots more people than I realized had similar experiences. I feel lucky to have the time and inclination to play again and to have found Griff's school.

Steve51

Howdy Steve and welcome to the best and friendliest and most helpful Blues site on the Web! I am also an AARP member and on Social Security full disability due to a back injury I incurred while in the US Navy, but one I lived with until about 15 years ago, when I had 2 back surgeries- the second of which was a 9 hour 3 level lumbar global fusion (meaning the surgeons operated from the abdomen first, then flipped me over and operated from my back, ending up by putting in titanium rods and screws on those 3 levels (L3-L4, L4-L5, L-5-S1) to hold everything in place until the 3 levels fused). However, due to screwups by the surgeons, and other doctors and nurses in the recovery room, my back never fused (basically due to internal bleeding post-op which they said wasn't possible, so they kept pushing fluids into me as my BP was dropping, and it wasn't until my personal Doctor (PCP) was called in that he had me put in ICU and started blood transfusions, which were what I had needed all along that I cheated death. He said if I were a few years older, all that other fluid they infused could have stressed my heart to the point of it stopping.

So, I've been in pain since then and after years of meds to control it, I finally found an "Interventional" pain doctor, who does nerve blocks (by injecting with fluoroscopy numbing drugs right onto the nerves carrying pain signals to the Brain) and for the first time the pain was GONE! But those first injections lasted only 6 weeks, so I had a second set of injections which stopped the pain again, until 2 days ago when the pain returned. This time the "blocks" lasted 8 weeks, and I called to make an appointment with him again, but he's on vacation until Feb. 29th and his 1st week back he's overbooked, so I have to wait to see him until March 7th, and then probably another week until he can do a procedure (this time hopefully an "ablation" that burns and kills the same spot on the same nerves,which can stop the pain for up to a year. I can't wait and I use a TENS unit to block noticing the pain until then. Sorry for the LONG story!

BTW, due to my wife Mary's grandmother being born in Ireland, both of now have dual US/Irish citizenship, and two passports. I went to England a few years ago, and Mary came along, but she then went over to Ireland to visit at the place her grandmother was born, and I had a chance to go to the Isle of Wight to visit with a super talented woman singer/songwriter for a couple of days. But I really want to go to Ireland and I hope that will be possible now that I'm retired from being a software engineer and I'm back to being a full time musician

WELCOME and look around at all the great Blues material here! We're happy to have you here!

Jim (jimsig)

Jim,

Sorry to hear it's been that rough for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers that it all turns around for you soon.

Steve

Steve51

Steve, welcome to the forum. I don't always get to take the time to read every day, so a belated welcome from California (previously Pittsburgh)! Glad you found Griff and the team! He does know how to play and teach - are real rare combination.

Thanks for the welcome, twbuff. I once lived in California (near Marysville) and in 1975 had a drop-dead gorgeous girlfriend from Pennsylvania (Chambersburg). Also, we greatly appreciate Griff and his school, so we have all that in common. And the blues. Let us not forget the blues. I sang them aplenty when the lass from Chambersburg moved away to Atlanta, lo these 40 years ago. There's a song in there somewhere, I think.

jimsig

Me at BGU-Live 2016 in Sumner, WA on 5-13-2016
Jim,

Sorry to hear it's been that rough for you. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers that it all turns around for you soon.

Steve

Thanks as well to you Steve. And noting your post above, I was also 12 when The Beatles first played on Ed Sullivan and I remember watching that show like it was yesterday. I'll be the same age as you in May - so we're pretty much the same age. I also remember the moment I heard John Lennon was shot as clearly as I remember the moment I heard JFK was assassinated.

The Beatles helped so much to bring the US out of the darkness following JFK's death, and then when Lennon was assassinated it felt like (in his own words) that "the dream was over". It's hard to believe that only two of The Beatles are still alive - they always remain in my memory as young and vibrant and SO creative. I doubt another group as great as them will come to be for a very long time, if ever.

I feel blessed to have been just the right age to have seen their first US appearance and then been able to follow their entire musical journey as a teenager. I was just about to go off to college when I heard they were going to break up and that helped me get my mind into different things rather than moping at home about a world without The Beatles, It's funny, I just happened to watch "Let it be" yesterday since I had just transferred the old VCR tape I had of the movie to DVD. The 60's was a great decade to be a teenager in!