Hello from Texas

Steve51

4-thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Steve 51 here, newbie from Fiskville, Texas which is what the part of Austin I live in was once called when it was still several miles out of town.

Got my first guitar at 13 with lawn mowing money, and played through my mid-twenties. Started being a working stiff and put the guitar in her case for about 30 years (bad decision, I know, I know) until I retired and suddenly there was lots of time to do things I really wanted. This happened in early 2014 when a big brou-ha-ha erupted in popular media, and it was a wonderful brou-ha-ha to be sure that I enjoyed very much, about the 50th anniversary of the Beatles first trip to the States and appearing on Ed Sullivan's show. The Beatles had started it all for me on those Sullivan appearances which led to that first guitar purchase. It still seems impossible that was 50 years ago. While Paul and Ringo toured the Ed Sullivan Theater I got my dear old friend the guitar out of her case in the back of the closet and started in again, plunking first, then playing a couple scales, then stretching the hand muscles for some chords. A lot of what I knew had returned (with the callouses) over a few weeks of practicing but I wanted more. Lead guitar. Blues guitar, something I never had done.

Following up on an ad, sent for Griff's four-note solo freebie. Amazing stuff. Lot of sound from just four notes. Yikes. Also liked Griff's friendly presenation and teaching style and most importantly, the kind of blues man he is. "The lad can rip it up," as I heard Robert Plant once say in a TV interview. Or maybe it was Rowdy Roddy Piper (r.i.p.). Whoever it was, it seemed to me Griff's approach to guitar playing and to life was kinda like my own, and I have unleashed my inner blues man, taken the plunge, and signed up for some of Griff's courses.

Very glad to be here. Alba gu brath (Scotland Forever), God save the Queen, God bless the United States, and Onward through the Fog.

artyman

Fareham UK
Welcome from one of the UK mob, if you ever get to meet Griff in person, I did when he came over to the Uk last October, he is the nicest guy you will ever meet. Take a wander down to the Jam Room at the bottom of the forum when you want to join in with us.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Welcome Steve! I've always thought it is great to be around people of like mind. Especially if it's something in common we LOVE. We all LOVE Blues!

You'll see that your story is very familiar around here. It's the story of many of us!

See you down the road :thumbup:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Welcome to the forum, Steve!!!

You have found a brand new extended family here! Lots and lots of great folks all here to give you a helping hand and support!

2f1ea8d971bb760a7ffa4bfbd01ae523.gif
drummer-smiley.gif
band.gif
Guitar_Emoticon___Animated_by_satsukichan.gif

We gonna help you learn to boogie!

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Welcome to the forum Steve and as you'll find from hanging around the forum it was the infamous 4 Note Solo that pulled many in, and there are many who agree with your comments on Griff, he is a truly unique guy and long may he teach us. :)

Steve51

Welcome from one of the UK mob, if you ever get to meet Griff in person, I did when he came over to the Uk last October, he is the nicest guy you will ever meet. Take a wander down to the Jam Room at the bottom of the forum when you want to join in with us.

Thanks for the welcome artyman. My ancestral heritage is all U.K.; Scotland, England, Wales, and Ireland. Although I've yet to make the trip across the pond, doing so is high up on the bucket list for sure.

Hope I'll get to meet Griff in person some day. I'll check out the Jam Room, hope to see you there. Thanks again for the welcome.

Steve51

Welcome Steve! I've always thought it is great to be around people of like mind. Especially if it's something in common we LOVE. We all LOVE Blues!

You'll see that your story is very familiar around here. It's the story of many of us!

See you down the road :thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome, HotLks. Yes indeed, love of the blues is common bond for many, many people. Glad to be here for that reason.

Steve51

Welcome to the forum, Steve!!!

You have found a brand new extended family here! Lots and lots of great folks all here to give you a helping hand and support!

2f1ea8d971bb760a7ffa4bfbd01ae523.gif
drummer-smiley.gif
band.gif
Guitar_Emoticon___Animated_by_satsukichan.gif

We gonna help you learn to boogie!

Thanks, Rance. You don't mind if I call you Rance, do you? Appreciate the welcome to my new extended family.

Steve51

Welcome to the forum Steve and as you'll find from hanging around the forum it was the infamous 4 Note Solo that pulled many in, and there are many who agree with your comments on Griff, he is a truly unique guy and long may he teach us. :)

Thanks, Thatman. Interesting to know the 4-note solo was such a succesful recruitment tool for Griff. It's still just plumb amazing to me. Looking forward to being here. Thanks again for the welcome.