Hello From East Tennessee

JackWalker

Blues Newbie
I bought the Blues Guitar Unleashed course yesterday. I have been watching Griff's videos for some time and like his teaching style. A friend of mine bought this course as well a few weeks ago and let me look at the book so I could get a general idea of how the course was organized and what was covered. Also, in the past I took some classes at the local community college and it looks like this course picks up to dive deep on a lot of things that were covered at a high level. There is just not enough time to dive this deep in with technique with that type of setting. I sort of surveyed the materials yesterday afternoon and am looking forward to getting started and I think it will take me a long time to work through all of this material but I am in no big hurry. If I could master just a fraction of what is here over the coming months then that would be great.

I started playing guitar later in life and have played for about five years. I think I am somewhere between a beginner and early intermediate. When I started I knew next to nothing and struggled for months just learning the cowboy and a few other chords. I can strum quite a few songs but want to get to get past that. I grew up in the 70s with a lot of the singer/songwriter and classic rock type stuff. Allman brothers, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, Clapton, the Who, AC DC, Van Halen, etc. Just based on what I have read and learned, most modern music that I care to listen to is influenced by blues music in some way so I thought it would be a great genre that I enjoy to dive into. I really like Warren Haynes and Tedeschi/Trucks for people that are still making new records and touring. Is a shame that their music does not get played on radio except for maybe some college stations. I like older country music and jazz as well.

Curious if there is anyone else here from East Tennessee. I know Eddie is as he is the person that let me look over his book.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome Jack,
You're in a good place to learn.

Eastern Tennessee always conjures up memories of a failed fishing trip.

My buddy and I drove from Illinois to do some fishing on Cherokee Lake.
It didn't go well:
-The first day there somebody broke out a window on my vehicle, ripped out the dashboard to steal the stereo.
-The second day the lake was blanketed in deep fog.
-That afternoon the fog lifted and when we started to fish, we where interrupted by gun fire.
-We left the lake when bullets splashed into the water next to the boat.
-The trip home was a real joy, after rewiring enough to get the car working, I drove with one foot holding up the dash.

There more to the story but, it always makes me laugh when somebody mentions Eastern Tenn.

Have fun learning

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Welcome to the forum Jack. Have fun.(y) (Did you buy a new guitar with the money you got for the stereo?):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shodai

Blues Junior
Welcome to the forum!

You've just become a member of an extraordinary group of people, and there is not a friendlier or more helpful forum for a blues guitarist anywhere on the internet!

Drop by often, join in the conversations. As great as the course materials are (and they are great) you will find a wealth of information and a lot of support and encouragement from the members.

You're going to love it here!

JackWalker

Blues Newbie
Welcome Jack,
You're in a good place to learn.

Eastern Tennessee always conjures up memories of a failed fishing trip.

My buddy and I drove from Illinois to do some fishing on Cherokee Lake.
It didn't go well:
-The first day there somebody broke out a window on my vehicle, ripped out the dashboard to steal the stereo.
-The second day the lake was blanketed in deep fog.
-That afternoon the fog lifted and when we started to fish, we where interrupted by gun fire.
-We left the lake when bullets splashed into the water next to the boat.
-The trip home was a real joy, after rewiring enough to get the car working, I drove with one foot holding up the dash.

There more to the story but, it always makes me laugh when somebody mentions Eastern Tenn.

Have fun learning

Lol, I have not lived up that way in many years but I grew up probably five minutes from Cherokee Lake and lived in walking distance of a large creek that feeds into it that I routinely fished in. Of course it is a large lake that touches numerous little towns and counties but what you describe sounds like it could have been in any of them. You must have go hit by one of the dumber criminals with the car. The pros would have just stolen the whole car, stripped the parts and set what was left of it on fire or dumped it in the lake. Stolen cars and trucks were a big thing when I lived up there and TBI eventually busted a huge theft and stripping operation.

Sorry you did not get a better impression of the area but I completely understand why.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Lol, I have not lived up that way in many years but I grew up probably five minutes from Cherokee Lake and lived in walking distance of a large creek that feeds into it that I routinely fished in. Of course it is a large lake that touches numerous little towns and counties but what you describe sounds like it could have been in any of them. You must have go hit by one of the dumber criminals with the car. The pros would have just stolen the whole car, stripped the parts and set what was left of it on fire or dumped it in the lake. Stolen cars and trucks were a big thing when I lived up there and TBI eventually busted a huge theft and stripping operation.

Sorry you did not get a better impression of the area but I completely understand why.

Town I stayed in was Rogersville, a place I will always remember:LOL:

Anyways, life moves on and I've got a few good stories from that experience.
A few years later I was traveling on business and told the story to one of the locals.
Ha, he said:
"Good thing you didn't go to Bean Station, last time I was there I had to cold cock a guy with a broom handle""
I almost bust a gut laughing at that one.:ROFLMAO:

Enough of the war stories, have fun learning.
We'll be watching for your participation.
(y)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Hi Jack, welcome.
You will find loads of friendly & helpful people here.

LisaTalley

Blues Newbie
I bought the Blues Guitar Unleashed course yesterday. I have been watching Griff's videos for some time and like his teaching style. A friend of mine bought this course as well a few weeks ago and let me look at the book so I could get a general idea of how the course was organized and what was covered. Also, in the past I took some classes at the local community college and it looks like this course picks up to dive deep on a lot of things that were covered at a high level. There is just not enough time to dive this deep in with technique with that type of setting. I sort of surveyed the materials yesterday afternoon and am looking forward to getting started and I think it will take me a long time to work through all of this material but I am in no big hurry. If I could master just a fraction of what is here over the coming months then that would be great.

I started playing guitar later in life and have played for about five years. I think I am somewhere between a beginner and early intermediate. When I started I knew next to nothing and struggled for months just learning the cowboy and a few other chords. I can strum quite a few songs but want to get to get past that. I grew up in the 70s with a lot of the singer/songwriter and classic rock type stuff. Allman brothers, Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Boston, Clapton, the Who, AC DC, Van Halen, etc. Just based on what I have read and learned, most modern music that I care to listen to is influenced by blues music in some way so I thought it would be a great genre that I enjoy to dive into. I really like Warren Haynes and Tedeschi/Trucks for people that are still making new records and touring. Is a shame that their music does not get played on radio except for maybe some college stations. I like older country music and jazz as well.

Curious if there is anyone else here from East Tennessee. I know Eddie is as he is the person that let me look over his book.
Hi Jack, welcome.
You will find loads of friendly & helpful people here.

Welcome! I’m from East TN also. Grew up in Morristown and now live in Kingsport. I’m new here also. Looking forward to learning with everyone!

JackWalker

Blues Newbie
Welcome! I’m from East TN also. Grew up in Morristown and now live in Kingsport. I’m new here also. Looking forward to learning with everyone!

I grew up next door in the Jefferson City/Talbott area. Have lived in Knox County for the past 30 years.