hand movement?

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Not being snarky, but how are you reading the forum. Some kind of synthesized voice?

When I'm sight reading bass charts without looking, I can often feel the frets even if I'm not looking, and feel a half step or whole step position shift, and maybe more.
Hay David, lagit question. I use a screen reading program called JAWS(please don't ask me what it stands for)and its pretty accurate if a bit slow at times.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Hay David, lagit question. I use a screen reading program called JAWS(please don't ask me what it stands for)and its pretty accurate if a bit slow at times.
Sorry I didn't finish the thought. Yes its a synthesized voice. There are a bunch of voice options none great but you get used to it. To OG and Boogie, I checked out the CAGED system and I am amazed I never heard of it before. I mean it had to be around 15-20 years ago when I was playing but I never heard of it. It looks like exactly what I need to improve the hand movement. also a funny thing I noticed, re someone elses messege about a dark room or not looking at the neck. Let preface by saying I used to have some vision before and always focused on the neck and my left hand like most novice players do. Well now that I can't see I noticed I make far more mistakes when just looking wherever rather than focusing on the neck. Even though I can't see my hand or the neck anymore I am far more accurate when I am focusing in that direction.

BillKociaba

Blues Newbie
Sorry I didn't finish the thought. Yes its a synthesized voice. There are a bunch of voice options none great but you get used to it. To OG and Boogie, I checked out the CAGED system and I am amazed I never heard of it before. I mean it had to be around 15-20 years ago when I was playing but I never heard of it. It looks like exactly what I need to improve the hand movement. also a funny thing I noticed, re someone elses messege about a dark room or not looking at the neck. Let preface by saying I used to have some vision before and always focused on the neck and my left hand like most novice players do. Well now that I can't see I noticed I make far more mistakes when just looking wherever rather than focusing on the neck. Even though I can't see my hand or the neck anymore I am far more accurate when I am focusing in that direction.
And a question guys stemming from the CAGED thing, the G form chord shape, is it including the root on the first string or just the bar and the fingerings on 5 and 6 string? I find it hard to do the whole thing inc first string. Maybe just more practice or maybe just don't hit the top string.
thanks again guys

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
And a question guys stemming from the CAGED thing, the G form chord shape, is it including the root on the first string or just the bar and the fingerings on 5 and 6 string? I find it hard to do the whole thing inc first string. Maybe just more practice or maybe just don't hit the top string.
thanks again guys
That one is not very usable in full form, I tend to play the first four strings, which is kind of an extension of the A shape, and avoid the 5 and 6 strings

david moon

Attempting the Blues
That one is not very usable in full form, I tend to play the first four strings, which is kind of an extension of the A shape, and avoid the 5 and 6 strings
I agree, the full 6 string shape is not very useful or playable. But it is important to visualize the whole shape and know that the root is on the 6th string.
A useful subset is strings 4 3 2 which has all the notes of a major triad. If I was playing that as a barre with my index finger, I would visualize the other strings in a G shape

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
The real value of CAGED is mapping out the fretboard and showing the connections between chords. I wouldn't worry too much about playing the full chords.