Hammer Time

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Hi All, For those that have been on the forum for awhile, they know I like to try different things with Griff's lessons. Anyway, hammer ons and pull offs are to be practiced. For some reason I was always kind of pushing up on the string for a pull off. Yesterday I tried pulling down. It really made a difference for me in strength and note clarity. Try is and see if that works for you. :)

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
That's pretty much how I've always done it.
Pull off => pull down to flick the string.

Vs.

Push off (just making that up) => push string up to flick it.

Sorry if that sounds condescending at all. I was really trying for it not to sound that way. I'm glad you figured that out.  :)

L

Lame_Pinkey

Bah ! ...turn up everything louder than everything else then add distortion , easy peasy !

LP

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
Allen I guess it just goes to show that there are different ways to do the same thing. You discovered the pull down right away. I was doing the push up. Now I can do both. Go to your practice room and don't come out until you can do both.  ;D

L

Lame_Pinkey

I was positive Griff stated in the video - BGU/SWS ? - to flick downward when pulling off.
Must have been dreaming I guess  ::)

LP

Tim

Blues Newbie
Both can work. Gravity is in favor of pull/flick off in a downward direction though.   [smiley=cheesy.gif]