Gypsy Queen

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@Griff
I've been playing Black Magic Woman for a long time, but I always stop before the Gypsy Queen section, so I thought it was time to take a look at it. I think I'm gonna do just fine with it EXCEPT....
I'm having a strange time figuring out the bass part (which is also the guitar part) in 3 of the first 6 bars. It feels like they should be quarter notes, but when I listen, I think they go by faster, but nothing I try really seems to fit. I'm wondering if there is a time change for those three measures.

Audio

Gypsy Queen.png

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks to Doug, it's coming along.... Notes are real close, but may not be on the right beat yet...
Audio

Once I get it figured out, then I have to learn to play it. Shouldn't be TOO hard because by that time I'll be hearing it i my sleep.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I finally broke down and learned Gypsy Queen toward the end of last year. It's really easier than it sounds, although the timing still throws me in a couple places, but it's super fun to play. With that said, I agree with the quarter not triplets interpretation!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Remember that quarter note triplets require you to count the whole bar in triplets at first, and just play every other count

ONE and UH two AND uh THREE and UH four AND uh

It's tough, but I've been trying to get you to learn it for years so maybe this time it'll stick ;)

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Remember that quarter note triplets require you to count the whole bar in triplets at first, and just play every other count

ONE and UH two AND uh THREE and UH four AND uh

It's tough, but I've been trying to get you to learn it for years so maybe this time it'll stick ;)

One can only hope....