Griff's move to Texas

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
How's the humidity in Texas? The couple times I've been seemed pretty good

Being from Long Island it seldom seems very humid to me, but Marsha complains about it more than I do, so I guess it depends on how sensitive you are to it.

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
Ok I'm seeing Texas stories and am avoiding real work at the moment so I'll chime in with mine.

I was born and raised in Minnesota. Went to college there. In cooler weather I am always in a sweatshirt, and most of my sweatshirts say "Minnesota" on them in some form or another.

It's February and I'm leaving Minnesota to drive a truck to Arizona with a coworker. There's a big snowstorm the night before we leave so travel that morning wasn't great... but we headed out. And drove and drove and drove... a lot of it through the storm. We drive for about 16 hours and stop for the night at some motel. I'm shot so don't really pay much attention.

The next morning I went to check out of the motel and it's sleeting out, kinda icy. Not much different than the day before. I'm in one of my trusty "M" sweatshirts, a huge "M" on it with "Minnesota"written below it. I walk along the sidewalk from my room to the office and people are freaking out. Now, I'm not a morning a person and was still a little whipped from the day before so don't pay much attention. Get to the front desk and people are rushing around all stressed out. Finally I ask the desk clerk what's going, why does everyone seem so freaked out?

She looks up at me and asks "You're from Minnesota?" I say yes. She smiles a little and says 'Honey, you're in TEXAS now!"

Apparently they didn't see snow/sleet in that part of the world very often...

Kind of reminded me of being in the Minneapolis airport in the winter when it's about -20F outside. Could always tell who the first timers were. They'd wander outside in their lightweight coats and them come running back in with this shocked look on their face.

Welcome to Minnesota. No, that's just air outside. Kinda stings a little, doesn't it?

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I was born and raised in Minnesota.
One of my sisters lived out west of Minneapolis for years. I always went to visit her during the summer. Except for that one year when I decided that I was going to go visit her for Christmas. I had a good heavy coat and stuff, and had the brainy idea to UPS them up to her a week or so before I arrived. Christmas season shipping that I didn't plan for meant I got off the plane up there, and my coat and stuff were still in transit. They showed up just in time to pack in the suitcase to come home.

Neeways, we went straight to some store downtown, and I bought coat, hat, and gloves. That's when she announced that we went downtown to buy the coat because she wanted me to see some Christmas parade that Minneapolis has outside in the middle of December. I stood and shivered for what seemed like an eternity. Granted, I left home where it was 70 degrees, and got off the plane where it was in the 20s, so I was having more than a little climate-shock as it was. I was dying. A cop stopped while we were standing with all the other folks on the curb of whatever street it was, and he talked to me for a few minutes The first comment out of his mouth was, "you're not from around here are you." Nice enough guy, but I told him that whoever came up with the idea for the outdoor parade during the winter needed to be taken out back and beaten. He started laughing and walked off saying something about "crazy Texan."

The next night, my sister decided that we were all going Christmas caroling with some of their friends. I kept her friends laughing because I'd make up stupid songs to sing between the houses like "I'd like to be home for Christmas where it's not 10 degrees" instead of the usual I'll Be Home song. By the time I left a week later, I told her if she wanted to see me at Christmas time again, she'd have to come to Texas because there was no way I was going back up there during the winter again.

I actually lived in Chicago for 5 years at one point. Everyone always laughed at me because I carried a jacket with me from September to May. As I started into what would have been my 6th winter up there, we got an early snow in mid-October. That morning, I went to my boss' office as soon as I walked into the building, and hardly told him good morning before I let him know that, when I went home for Thanksgiving a month later, I wasn't coming back. I had had it with cold weather, snow, and ice.

I'll take the blast furnace summers we have in Texas any day over whatever the heck it is y'all get up north during the winter. I can always turn the a/c down, but there were days up there I'd have 4 shirts on and the heater running non-stop and still be shivering. lol

patb

Blues Junior
I was Florida born and raised. Was stationed in sorta-southern California (Monterey). What is this snow stuff?

Mark, Not to be rude but having lived in the Monterey Bay area for some time, I can safely say no one there considers it So. Cal. Not even sorta.
It was wonderful but alas no longer affordable.
Pat

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Good move Griff--Texas is a great state. Wouldn't mind living there myself. Real people--and of all the music and musicians- song writers---Texas rules. You'll fit right in. Might take you awhile to adjust from the fast lane California life style to the laid back Texas style but it's worth it.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
Good move Griff--Texas is a great state. Wouldn't mind living there myself. Real people--and of all the music and musicians- song writers---Texas rules. You'll fit right in. Might take you awhile to adjust from the fast lane California life style to the laid back Texas style but it's worth it.

If he's moving anywhere near Dallas, it is no longer the "laid back Texas Style". The freeway driving in Dallas is like a Formula 1 race. Actually, it seems all the streets in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex is one big race track and the drivers are all very aggressive. I learned to drive out there and when we go visit, my wife will not drive out there, she makes me do all the driving.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Tha
If he's moving anywhere near Dallas, it is no longer the "laid back Texas Style". The freeway driving in Dallas is like a Formula 1 race. Actually, it seems all the streets in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex is one big race track and the drivers are all very aggressive. I learned to drive out there and when we go visit, my wife will not drive out there, she makes me do all the driving.
t patch of concrete under my care is MINE!!!

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
If you think the drivers in DFW are bad, don't go to Houston. I grew up in BCS, so H-town was the big city we would go to when we got bored, and most of one side of my extended family lives stretched out from Texas City in the south to Cut and Shoot up north and Sealy in the west to Anahuac in the east, so I'm down that way more than I'd really like to be. Drivers in DFW are downright polite by comparison. They're just crazy down there. :ROFLMAO:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Packup all the dishes-make note of all best wishes; say good bye to the landlord for me-them son-a-bitches always bored me. Throw out the L.A. papers-load a box of vanilla waffers; put the key in that front door lock-they'll find it likely as not. Aidios to all this concrete gonna find me some Texas dirt road back streets:
If I can just get off this California freeway with out getting killed or robbed I'll be down that road in a cloud of smoke to some land that I ain't bought.;) A Texas point of view of California

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Packup all the dishes-make note of all best wishes; say good bye to the landlord for me-them son-a-bitches always bored me. Throw out the L.A. papers-load a box of vanilla waffers; put the key in that front door lock-they'll find it likely as not. Aidios to all this concrete gonna find me some Texas dirt road back streets:
If I can just get off this California freeway with out getting killed or robbed I'll be down that road in a cloud of smoke to some land that I ain't bought.;) A Texas point of view of California

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
How appropriate---I had not read that J.J. had died when I posted that.----the song was written by Townes VanZandt and Guy Clark I still play it.
but I kind of goofed up the lyrics----I just tried to keep it short. Thanks for posting that.

Last edited: