Griff Tracks..

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
Just found some of Griff's backing/practise tracks on my computer but can't remember their origin. There made up of real songs, stormy monday, thrill is gone, statesboro blues etc etc. Two tracks per song, both with drums, bass, keys, no guitar, one with and one without vocals (griff actually singing on track). Anyone know where they are from? ie lesson, or something or just simply tracks?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Ultimate Blues Jams volumes 1 & 2 are based on "real" songs. Tracks with and without guitar.

If Griff is singing, those tracks are probably from Blues Gig In A Box 1 & 2 ?

If you have the track titles, you can compare them with the track listings for Ultimate Blues Jams and BGIAB in "My Courses".

They will also most likely show up on @MikeS's list.

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/for...griffs-solos-where-they-work-protected.12812/

If there are some you still don't find, let us know the titles and we can probably "track" them down for you.

Last edited:

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Griff created Jam tracks for BGU Live Events as well. Whether they were incorporated into the packages Paleo mentioned above, dunno.

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
Hi Paleo, there not from ultimate blues , I have them, nor are they from blues gig in a box, have those to.
Theses tracks aren't based on songs, they are the songs. 16 in total. They were obviously designed to play rhythm, and solo's and either sing yourself or leave the singing to Griff. They are excellent.
I'm pretty sure they were sent as a complete package but with what?
Someone else must have them?

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
Crossroads, you may have it there. Thinking about it, they may have been made for people to practise before a BGU live event.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I'll have to go along with both of you on this one.

I've never been to a BGU Live event and I don't have any such set of tracks with Griff singing.

But it would be nice if I did.:sneaky:

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Griff created Jam tracks for BGU Live Events as well.
I'm guessing this is it. Seems I remember that, for a BGU Live or two way back in the beginning, he dropped his in-the-style-of guard and and actually did a few songs for the groups to use to practice beforehand. That way everyone could practice the actual songs and not something that's been slightly changed. I never was able to go to those early ones, so I don't have them to compare with what you've found, but it seems I have a vague recollection of some of those lucky enough to go talking about them. These would have been like the first two BGU Lives. As copyright-conscious as Griff usually tends to be, those would definitely have been for the inner circle type group and not something that would have been available to the masses.

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
As copyright-conscious as Griff usually tends to be, those would definitely have been for the inner circle type group and not something that would have been available to the masses.

Well I've never been to a BGU event and I've got them. I do vaugly recall them being put up for bgu attendee's to practise with but they must have been available for anyone to download.
Anyhow I think we've found the source.
Thanks.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
These are available in the members area. I'm not sure if I have access due to AAP or the fact that I have attended BGU Live events, but these sound like what is being described.
upload_2019-8-25_9-45-42.png

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Crossroads, you may have it there. Thinking about it, they may have been made for people to practise before a BGU live event.
Early on Griff created jam tracks like that for BGU Live events. As far as I know they were never incorporated into anything that you could buy. IF you can list some of the track names, someone here can probably tell you where they are from. (Or attach short clips one or two)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
They are in BGU Live under My Courses. Griff may not have made those part of the AAP.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Not for me, i.e. not for AAP members.

How are they listed in your "My Courses" list?

If they were available for anyone, I'm an anyone.:(

It's under BGU Live under "My Courses". Griff usually opens up a number of resources prior to BGU Live for those who have registered to help prepare. I'm guessing that's why they show up for some of us. I keep forgetting about the stuff in there.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think this is similar to BGU Labs. If you've never done a challenge it won't be in your list.

(I'm assuming, since there's no way to know what other AAP members have been provided in their lists.o_O)

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I think this is similar to BGU Labs. If you've never done a challenge it won't be in your list.

(I'm assuming, since there's no way to know what other AAP members have been provide in their lists.o_O)
That is correct. If you haven't done a BGU Live, you would not see that area of the Member Portal.

Those tracks did, occasionally, get passed around I'm sure. If I'm singing real words to real songs, that's where they are from. The BGIAB stuff I wrote, so I can release those. The BGU Live stuff is infringing on copyright so I can't.

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
That is correct. If you haven't done a BGU Live, you would not see that area of the Member Portal.

Those tracks did, occasionally, get passed around I'm sure. If I'm singing real words to real songs, that's where they are from. The BGIAB stuff I wrote, so I can release those. The BGU Live stuff is infringing on copyright so I can't.

Well somehow I've got them, I think they were done for one of the live events in the US which I have never been to . I have never done a BGU challenge so haven't
got them that way and they were definately not passed to me from anyone else. Also I got these long before AAP appeared.
But I certainly don't want to do anything to get the copyright police after Griff so perhaps I should leave it at that?

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
But I certainly don't want to do anything to get the copyright police after Griff so perhaps I should leave it at that?
It's too late. We've now got him cold now with your help. You're reward for turning in copyright violators is in the mail. Thanks again, we couldn't have done it without you. Umm... no, don't worry, copyright violation is an internet myth.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
It's too late. We've now got him cold now with your help. You're reward for turning in copyright violators is in the mail. Thanks again, we couldn't have done it without you. Umm... no, don't worry, copyright violation is an internet myth.

Just after graduate school I received a grant to create a web-based computer simulation. Since I had grant money, I didn't skimp and I made sure to purchase stock photography from a legitimate source (iStockphoto.com). At the time, each picture cost between $.25 and $1.00, for which I received redistribution rights on the web. About 10 years later, I received a letter from a law firm threatening to sue me for copyright infringement on behalf of Getty Images (who owns iStockPhoto). Their bot had apparently come across one of their photos still on that website but for whatever reason, they decided that it was being used illegally. They asked for a $795 settlement for it to not go to trial. I ignored them. After that, I would receive another letter every 6 months like clockwork, each time upping the ante another $200 or so until they got up to about $1,500. Based on the fact that I had receipts for the many images I had purchased, I decided to keep ignoring them thinking that it was a shakedown and that if they did go to court, I had a viable defense. The last letter I received was about 2 years ago with a "one-time offer" to settle for $900. I ignored that one, as well. So far, they seem to have given up on me but rightly or wrongly, I totally understand being skittish about using something that could be construed as a copyright infringement.

With that said, a few weeks ago I discovered a website that has several instructional materials I have created over the years that they are making available for download for a subscription fee. The funny thing is that each item prominently features my copyright notice that I always place on everything I create. I am in the process of writing a cease and desist letter as we speak. If they take it down and don't do it again, I will quit while I'm ahead, but that's not how others (like Getty Images) work. Every year I receive a number of requests for permission to use something I have created. If it is for non-profit use, I pretty much always say "yes" and do not ask for money. Having someone use original work as part of a commercial business is another story though.

Unfortunately, copyright infringement on the web is not a an urban legend. :unsure: