Griff needs one of these: Whiskey barrel wood guitars.

MarkRobbins

Blues Junior
https://newatlas.com/music/whiskey-barrel-top-guitar/

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I just don't understand why Telecasters are still clinging to the 1950's design hunk of sheet-metal enclosing the lead pup and 3 brass saddles. 3 brass saddles that require intonation adjustment every-time you change strings that involves contorting the saddle and/or adjusting the strings to different heights effecting the action. I thought the Tele bridge came a long way with the American Standard where each string had it's own adjustable intonation saddle where the intonation can be set and it stays set. But the new American Pro series has gone backward and adopted the 3 brass saddles. If it's a brass saddle Tele tone thing I've seen bridges with 6 individual saddles made of brass. Anyway, It's probably just me but I also prefer to see the bridge that doesn't enclose the lead pup. I think this is one reason why Abert Collins gets that "ice pick" tone. Metal just doesn't have the warmth of wood. Unless you pay extra for a James Burton 3 pup Tele the way to get a modern bridge is to get a Tele is with a humbucker pup. And then that kinda gets away from the single coil aspect of a Tele.......... It's 2019, modern bridges have come a long way to improve the guitar play-ability and maintenance than using 69 year old technology. Heck, Gibson came out with the tune-o-matic bridge before the end of the 50's.........

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Wow! A lot of the non traditional designs leave me scratching my head but I love that look. FWIW, I have the same brass bridge on my CC50 Fralin and have no problems at all with intonation. It looks as though the 2nd guitar has individual saddles for each sin.

aleclee

Tribe of One
I just don't understand why Telecasters are still clinging to the 1950's design hunk of sheet-metal enclosing the lead pup and 3 brass saddles.
Folks swear that three barrel bridges sound different. The bridge plate around the pickup is definitely a part of where Teles get their twang.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Folks swear that three barrel bridges sound different. The bridge plate around the pickup is definitely a part of where Teles get their twang.
Yes, and also the ice pick tone. This bridge is why I sold my Am Tele Special. I'll get another Tele, but it won't have a brass saddle bridge. :Beer:

aleclee

Tribe of One
Yes, and also the ice pick tone. This bridge is why I sold my Am Tele Special. I'll get another Tele, but it won't have a brass saddle bridge. :Beer:
For folks who don't normally play Teles, one major lesson is that you don't leave the tone on 10. That's how I deal with icepick (though my Tele has six cast saddles).